Hunting clothes

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by kyoutdoorsman, Jun 1, 2019.

1. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Deer season with be here before we know if, what's your best warmest, light weight hunting gear you recommend
    Bibs
    Coat
    Boots
    Knife
    Underlayer

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I don’t do too much early early hunting these days. Been trying to wait til October. I might squirrel hunt a time or two. I bought some lightweight/breathable stuff out of the Cabelas bargain cave a few years back that has held up well. My dad and brother have some of the cheap leafy suits (not the high dollar ones) and really like them. They wear whatever and just slip the suits on over top and spray down well.

3. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Early season I’ll wear just regular huntin pants, long sleeve pull over shirt, face mask and boots and a hat. If I’m going to be walking through lots of high grass or beans I’ll eat my uninsulated waders simply bc I hate chiggers but they love me. Later on in the year it’s usually base layers, then the pants/shirt, bibs/parka

4. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    There are a lot of gimmicks out there that are not truly necessary, especially for deer hunting...most of my gear comes from Walmart or Cabelas...this is what works for me (and I have hunted from miserably hot weather to -7 F, ice formed in my beard from my breath)...does not all have to be purchased at one time and some will be available at lower prices at Walmart on clearance after season (socks, beanie cap, handwarmer ???)...

The only truly expensive items were the Danner boots (8" 600 grams Thinsulate airbob sole--though the vibram combat sole would be excellent) at $200 (but still going strong after 15 years-and still waterproof)...and the Coat/Bibs ($65 each at Walmart)...

I do have heavy gloves for shoveling snow and working outside, but do not wear them hunting...two thin gloves, the hand warmer pouch and a couple of handwarmers usually do the trick...

Early Season
    Camo cargo pants (any style will work including GI BDUs)
    Long sleeve mock turtle neck camo shirt (minimize skin exposure--I hate bugs)
    Facemask/neck gaitor
    Fingerless camo gloves
    Camo hat or "dew" rag (bandana folded into a triangle and tied over the head)...
    Danner hunting boots (same boots for about 15 years)...
    Thermacell <-- this is a must have

MidSeason
    Same as above
    Add polyester medium weight insulated underwear (Walmart)
    Reversible "beanie" stocking cap-camo/blaze

Mid-Late Season (cool but not yet freezing)
    Same as above EXCEPT change BDUs to insulated (GI pattern at Walmart)
    Add camo jogging pants under the BDUs
    Add camo hoodie over the mock-T
    Hot Hands hand muff (worn around the waste)

Late Season (freezing but not arctic weather)

Same as above
    Add insulated camo Bibs (Walmart*)
    Add insulated (double layer) camo Coat (Walmart*)--this will restrict movement and can alter how you shoot a rifle/shotgun/muzzleloader because of thickness
    Change from boot socks to insulated/wool socks
    Add second layer of light gloves over fingerless gloves
    Change gaiter to a camo balaclava
    *Purchased about 10 years ago as a set at Walmart (about $65 each at the time)

Late Season (arctic weather / snow cover)
    Same as above
    Change boots to -40 Rated Pac-style boot

Knive(s)
    1. Leatherman's SuperTool (on belt) --- best thing ever for field dressing deer --- blade is easy to hone to a shaving sharpness
    2. Two knives set (single blade lock back + full tang gut hook) in backpack
    3. KaBar Marine Corp combat knife (optional in backpack, definitely if camping)
    4. May try out a couple of new knives this fall <--my son is becoming an independent contractor for Cutco Knives--they have a nice looking drop point fixed blade that has me interested--suppose to be super sharp and lifetime warranty

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  5. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Early season and in Spring Turkey I wear my Elimitick clothing. That stuff is the shizzle! I have a pair of their pants in a light brown/khaki color that I wear working on the farm. Has cut down immensely on the amount of ticks I've found on me since. Wish they made short sleeve t-shirts.

6. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I wear the mesh leafy suits early season. Can throw it on over anything and not burn up. And the skeeters can't bite thru it

xbokilla likes this.
  7. 93chromedaytona

93chromedaytona Fawn

Nov 20, 2014
    I am not one to blow money on expensive stuff just because they have good marketing....but I have come to the conclusion that hunting clothes/boots are def worth spending the money if you get out and bow hunt a lot. Its def miserable to be too cold and freezing in a tree. I finally picked up some under armour base layer thermals (the 3.0) that I found on clearance at TJ max. Def a big difference between that and the best you can buy from Wal-mart. I have a decent set of soft shell Under Armour pants/coat that Costco had one year. They are very comfortable and quiet. Not the best when it gets super cold out....but that's not what they were meant for. I keep saying I am going to find some clearance SITKA gear for when it gets really cold, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I have heard nothing but great reviews about their gear. You certainly pay for it though. Even if you spent $500 on your camo (which is very expensive), it should last 10 years if you take care of it. Figure how many hours you sit out in the cold, its really not that expensive. I used to buy all the clearance stuff at Wal-mart at the end of the season, but those days are gone. Not saying that it has to be Under Armour or Sitka, but I do think the more expensive stuff tends to be better when it comest to warmth/comfort/quiet.

Genesis 27:3 and bowhunter269 like this.
  8. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Warm/light weight/cheap........Pick 2

Meatstick likes this.
  9. Fanattic78

Fanattic78 Spike

Dec 19, 2017
    Hancock
    Early season Scent lock Savanna shirt pant

mid season that plus over coat and light bibs

Late cold scent lock savanna shirt and pant under my Iwom XT suit

10. minixjt

minixjt Spike

Jul 10, 2018
    Paintsville, KY
    Best ? For white tails Sitka’s system. By far most expensive though. Not needed IMO for still hunting. Just get some type of Merino Bases and layering to whatever you want over it IMO
    Also weight doesn’t really matter for whitetail hunting IMO. Most of us are in a stand or blind. Ultra light and ultra warm gear would basically just consist of high end Puffys IMO and lightest and warmest are two words that typically don’t go well with cheapest lol

Start stalking on camofire. Get a few pieces of Sitkas EV2 gear and see what you think. Don’t pay full retail for it IMO.

11. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    i had a set of boots, they were light weight. $15.oo at K-mart. 3M.. was a long while back. wernt all that much water proof, least i knew what i had. the hunting clothes sold back then, were better, then what ya can find now day's. way more durable. not from just k-mart, but even wally world.
    now, i think, they got someone deciding, what ya need to wear, that's never been hunting. i dont want to knock girl's.. so i will say girlish, never been in the wood's or on the lake. a fashion designer, for instance. a city slicker. read a hunting magazine, once, or a fishing one. never wetted a line, nor walked the wood's.

12. wv67

wv67 10 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Get everything off of the mossyoak store online , start with light pants and shirt same as turkey hunting , then I layer fleece , and a body suit

13. BODAB1

BODAB1 Spike

Apr 13, 2012
    While waterfowl hunting Marylands Eastern Shore many years ago I learned not to let a little money stand between me and being warm and dry. My first expensive purchase was some down filled overalls. Extremely warm but Gore-tex had not yet been invented. A couple of years ago I bought Cabellas MT050 bibs and a coat. Since then I have not had to turn on the propane heater in our shooting house. Extremely warm and dry. If you watch you can find them for 50% off.

14. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I feel like a cheapskate when I read a few of these. My heavy jackets have came post season from the Cabelas bargain cave. Got one camo and one hunter orange. Got a pair of Walls late 80s Mossy Oak bibs. I say at one time they were probably 200 gr now probably less than 50 gr. LOL. My dad dug them out of the garbage on a construction site in the 90s. I can wear some 2X stuff but I’m really a 2XLT or 3X...and that can make it tough sometimes. I got some breathable Cabelas early season shirt and pants but I swear my favorite is a cheap pair of pants and shirt my sis got me one year from Walmart and it’s called Big Woods Camo. I’ve wore the shirt until it’s fringy and holes in spots and got buttons missing all over the pants. Some of my hunting apparel have become like comfort clothes or an old friend through the years it seems like.