Humane Society

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by E. Leafdale Mofia, Feb 14, 2003.

1. And to think I have given them money in the past....I got bored tonight at work and did a little fishing this is Directly off thier website

There once was a time when most Americans needed to hunt to put food on the table, but hunting today is a recreational pastime, and worse: waterfowl, pheasant, and dove hunting are no more than shooting at living targets. Some hunting is done solely to acquire trophies or to see who can kill the most; some is no more than shooting tame, confined animals. Brutally inhumane weapons such as the bow and arrow are increasingly used. In all cases, sport hunting inflicts undeniable cruelty—pain, trauma, wounding, and death—on living, sentient creatures. The Humane Society of the United States believes that causing suffering and death is by definition inhumane, regardless of method.
    More than 100 million animals are reported killed by hunters each year. That number does not include the millions of animals for which kill figures are not maintained by state wildlife agencies.

The vast majority of species that are hunted—waterfowl, upland birds, mourning doves, squirrels, raccoons, rabbits, crows, coyotes, etc.—provide minimal sustenance and do not require population control.

Hunters have strived for decades to convince the American public that hunting is good for wildlife and good for society, often with arguments that are based on obfuscation and half-truths. They have deliberately focused the debate on deer hunting, for which plausible, but not necessarily true, arguments for subsistence and management can be made. But the holes in their arguments are becoming increasingly apparent, as is the magnitude of their waste, cruelty and destruction. More than that, sport hunting—the killing of wild animals as recreation—is fundamentally at odds with the values of a humane, just and caring society.

2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Good post!!!!!!

3. Rob

Rob Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    Murray, KY, USA.
    Oh, and gassing a million unwanted stray dogs every day is pretty?

It's hard to dance with the devil on your back...

4. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    they're hypocrits!!!

raktrakr
    >>----->

5. Darton73

Darton73 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2001
    Don't confuse your local Humane Societies with the HUMANE SOCIETY OF THE UNITED STATES. The HSUS is a full-fledged animal rights group with absolutely no ties to any of the local pet shelters. If you have given to local Humane Societies, then your money has probably been put to good use. Just make sure you are not sending any money to the HSUS!

Brian Grossman
    Darton73@alltel.net

6. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Darton73 is right. I've known about the HSUS for years and they have used their name to get money from people on the street as well as big companies. For example a couple years ago Red Roof Inns and Motel 6 gave part of their profits to HSUS, just think how many hunters stayed there and spend their money without knowing part of it was going to help out law hunting in the United States. After hundreds of letters and emails Red Roof Inns and Motel6 withdrew their support of HSUS.

7. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    I agree but my point was after word got around and the hunters started calling and writing then they with drew their support. They didn't ever know that HSUS was anti-hubnting until the hunters told them. It goes to show how places like HSUS can get millions and fool people into thinking they are something else.

8. Ralph

Ralph Cyber-Hunter

Aug 30, 2002
    Darton73, I am confused. I know locally that we have the SPCA & they are not with the Humane Society, but I was under the impression that the local Humane Society does send money to the National Group. No?

Ralph

9. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    good point

raktrakr
    >>----->

10. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    If they haven't joined forces there is no reason for them to send anybody money. HSUS is a "private" company and has nothing what so ever to do with any local Humane Society.

What's in a name?????

Let's say I make one up like, " Future Sportsmen of Kentucky" and put in some pictures of deer, turkey and elk then ask for money to continue the fight.

What have I told anybody?? Most people would think they are fighting for the youths hunting future in Kentucky. I never said anything about hunting. Those pictures were taken in parks and never showed anyone hunting. I would be safe as heck, I couldn't be sued, because I never said anything about hunting. The bad thing about something like this is too many people beleive what they see without checking them out. A lot of people are getting rich this way, not just in hunting but chruch groups, law enforcement groups, etc. A lot of them have a Post Office Box and their World Heq. is in their homes. They always have their meetings in a hotel meeting room.

As long as people can be fooled those people will stay in business and have their way. Always check out something before you join or send money.