How to fish an old gravel pit

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Iceman35, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    So, really got back into fishing this year. Been doing it a few times since having kids, but now that they are old enough to bait their own hooks, etc, I've actually found myself wanting to fish more. Even bought a couple of new poles and upgraded my tackle.

Got this one lake I've been fishing at a lot, with mild success. It's an old gravel pit, with obviously a gravel bottom, and little vegetation to speak of. Some structure to hold the fish, and steep drop offs off the bank, and no telling how deep it is.

As for the bass, most of my success has been on shaky worms, and a little better bouncing jigs trailing plastic craws. Weird part is, I've never seen a crawdad anywhere on the lake. Tons of sunfish and it's stocked with trout fry annually. Bass are super spooky if they see you, but I've seen a lot of 12-15 inchers, and a few that have to be 20-24.

Since the water is so clear, I've been sticking with green pumpkin or similar colored jigs and shaky worms. Wondering maybe if a sunfish colored jig or even a swim bait might work better.

Looking for any advice anyone can give. Willing to try new things as long as it doesn't break the bank.

2. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Best time I have found to fish places like that is during wind and rain that defuses the surface where the fish can't see you as well. I had a couple borrow pits where they took dirt to build overpasses off I-65 that was clear as gin. If we could hit it right when the wind and rain came thru we could wear out quite a few large bass. Otherwise you were just wasting your time. A white single blade Strike King spinner bait was our go to lure.

3. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    My Brother likes to fish, but since moving here to Ky he has not found a single place (private pond) in which to fish. Where we live, there are very few lakes or ponds, and he even tried fishing in a city lake near our Hospital with no luck. Green River lake also turned into a useless trip, as well as the tail water. He's really like to get back into fishing in a pond or lake that promises good fishing, which seems non-existing in Northern Taylor. He does not like to drive some 20+ miles one way for a couple hours of fishing, and fishes from the bank.

4. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Fish a couple very similar to what you are talking about here in Pulaski County out of kayaks from time to time. Like Duster said, a bit of wind or even an overcast day is your friend. I prefer light line so I can make longer casts in this situation with moving baits. A 4 inch rapala, a small spinner bait, or a swim bait work equally well in this situation.