How Many Forum Members is going...?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by RutNBuck, Feb 19, 2003.

1. RutNBuck

RutNBuck 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Northern Ky
    to the NWTF KY state calling championship Feb 28-March 2?
    its going to be held at Galyans in louisville...
    i'll be attending the March 2nd finals
    alot of the top dogs will be there....should be alot of fun..
    this would be a great chance for any of the forum members that have yet to meet each other.... post up if you think you may be going to attend

"A wise indian once said,the more you move the less you will see,the less you move the more you will see"

" I live to hunt, but my wife says i may hunting a place to live"

2. Big58cal

Big58cal 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    KY
    If it were a turkey calling contest and that's it, I would go. Since it is something to do with the NWTF, you couldn't pay me to go!

With the dirty deals that the NWTF has been doing with other organizations, without input prior to these from their members, they've lost my membership, as well as quite a few other people I know. I encorage other people to also drop their membership, or not join in the first place.

3. bower

bower 8 pointer

Jan 14, 2003
    LaGrange, ky, USA.
    i'll probably be there. the galyans in oxmoor mall right? if so i'll be there. live like 15mins away. i couldn't make it to the jim strader show cause the ice. [:(!]

>--> if it's brown it's down<--<

4. RutNBuck

RutNBuck 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Northern Ky
    Big58,

are you speaking from rumor ,hear say or what? i personaly am active with the NWTF quite proud to be a member to be honest....If you know something thats based on facts please express them... i have yet to see any organization that if a member gets upset about something that they dont say harsh things against them... personally if it were not for the NWTF,KDFW,and supporting members Kentucky would not be one of the top 10 states as far as successful turkey hunting....i APPLAUDE anyone that has put forth a helping hand to make this a success.

"A wise indian once said,the more you move the less you will see,the less you move the more you will see"

5. Big58cal

Big58cal 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    KY
    A "higher up" of the NWTF approached UBK to work out a deal with them to support an October gun turkey season the last week or two of October, moving the youth gun season and the muzzleloading season up 1 week each. UBK jumped all over this due to moving the "orange army" further away from the pre-rut, and with less disturbance in the woods since the fall turkey season is under-utilized. This was done without input from other organizations (muzzleloaders or deer-gun hunters in general), and opinions were not gathered from the NWTF members prior to this.

The Cyberhunters recent survey that was conducted speaks volumes on this. From going through the surveys, I have yet to find 1 person (let me repeat that......NOT ONE PERSON) yet that wanted an October gun season for turkeys. This survey was a cross section of hunters across the state, with NWTF members responding, such as myself.

This "dope deal" by the NWTF has ticked off quite a few people, one being the gentleman that I hunt on. He sponsors two NWTF chapters each year during the banquet season, with both guns and money. He is not going to support these chapters anymore, due to this "dope deal".

I refuse to be a part of, or support in any way, an organization that does not gather input from their members prior to making such a decision.

6. RutNBuck

RutNBuck 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Northern Ky
    As far as this issue what i heard was i believe a interview with Tim Farmer and George Wright Tim asked in reguards to what effect this change would have on the impact of the turkey population ..and george replied very little since this season is being passed by many turkey hunters as is..so he said he didnt believe a change in dates would effect the population/harvest rate....but i never heard of it going any further then that....

7. Big58cal

Big58cal 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    KY
    As far as the turkey population, it won't affect it. This season is very under utilized. As far as the "many turkey hunters", I believe they are taking that as the NWTF, even though I haven't found anyone in support of it.

What really ticks me off about it, is the moving of the muzzleloading and youth seasons. I am a deer hunter before a turkey hunter (and muzzleloading takes priority in that). As a said, someone in the NWTF proposed this to UBK. It made UBK very happy in that it moved the muzzleloading and youth seasons further from the pre-rut.

I guarantee, if they actually polled the members of the NWTF, you would find the VAST MAJORITY NOT IN FAVOR OF THIS. Why you may ask? Because the majority of the NWTF members are just like me, they primarily deer hunt, but also turkey hunt. What was done to the muzzleloaders is basically the same as if the spring turkey season was moved up a week.

8. HardinCountyHunter

HardinCountyHunter Spike

Jan 2, 2003
    Upton, KY, USA.
    My hunting partner and I went to the Jim Strader show this past weekend. My friend was able to catch Dr. John Gassett by himself and had a private conversation with him on this and a few other topics. Paul asked John if we could have a 5 day gun season for does in the spring in the middle of spring turkey season. John Gassett and Jonathan Day both laughed but I think they got the point. I bet if we represented a deer hunter organization, we could start the process of getting this in place. Paul and I both hunt turkeys and love to do so. However, we are deer hunter first and foremost. Spring is for turkeys and fall is for the other game we love to chase. How would the turkey only guys feel about a spring deer season and all of that orange?

9. Boss Gobbler

Boss Gobbler 8 pointer

Dec 15, 2001
    boone co. KY.
    After being a ten year member of the NWTF I to have let my membership expire for these same reasons.

10. bower

bower 8 pointer

Jan 14, 2003
    LaGrange, ky, USA.
    5 days of deer hunting in spring. i love the idea. never hunted turkey before so i don't know if that would piss me off if i was a turkey hunt. but i love the idea.

>--> if it's brown it's down<--<

11. schuyler olt

schuyler olt 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2002
    Boy oh boy. Big 58 never misses an opportunity to flame the NWTF and me. I'm the "higher up" he refers to in his earlier post. I was there, he wasn't. I've been to a banquet every week since January 18th, he hasn't. I've talked to several hundred turkey and deer hunters about this October issue. He wasn't in on even one discussion between me, the department, UBK, or people who have attended the caucuses. Now he has the malicious heart to define this as a "dope deal." I've explained to him on more than one occassion EXACTLY how this has come about, going all the way back to last August, and his comeback is to tell me I'm not doing my job. Of course, that's after he sniffs at my profession.
    Guys, ask him for his evidence. The reality is that there are many turkey hunters out there who want an October season. Almost every one of them is a deer hunter, just like I am. The reality is that while working through the problems that arise any time a new or different season is discussed, we came up with a split season to accommodate deer hunters who don't want to hunt turkeys in October but do want to hunt them in the fall. And the "we" in that sentence takes in the Department, staff, commissioners, opinions expressed here and elsewhere, including Jim Strader's radio program as late as last night, and members of UBK and the NWTF.
    As to me, I'll stand on my record. Who raised SB 207 on this forum? Who worked to see it defeated? Who's written letters on behalf of Cummins and Auxier Flats? Who's been front and center on SB 112 and HB 343? And that's just the past couple of weeks. What organization gave over $42,000 in scholarships to Kentucky kids THIS YEAR? What organization did over $15,000 in support to Kentucky' 4-H shooting sports program THIS YEAR? What organization provided over $100,000 support for youth programs in Kentucky THIS YEAR? What organization provided over $40,000 for habitat improvement in Kentucky THIS YEAR? What organization has spent over $1,000,000 on projects in Kentucky, not including money spent for restoration? What organization held scores of youth events in Kentucky THIS YEAR? What organization conducted several hunts for disabled deer hunters THIS YEAR? What organization conducted numerous women's events in Kentucky THIS YEAR? What organization provided approximately 100 education kits to Kentucky teachers THIS YEAR?
    I'm fed up with hearing his outright slanderous accusations which are built on nothing more than a figment of his imagination. I'm HUGELY irate with using the phrase "dope deal" in connection with an organization that does what we do for youth. I was going to quietly ignore his horse bleep until he crossed way over the line with that phrase. Sorry to rant, but enough is enough.

12. RutNBuck

RutNBuck 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Northern Ky
    Im still a big supporter of the NWTF am currently selling banquet tickets as we speak....I agree with Sch NWTF does so many things to support not only the youth but disabled and under privileged children...
    in our chapter i can not count all the youth events we have held and got very good turn outs....its hard to place value on watching a child win his/her first shotgun...tagging his/her first turkey

13. Big58cal

Big58cal 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    KY
    The simple fact remains that the NWTF members were not polled to get their consensus on having an October season prior to it being introduced. I've heard the crap of "there had to be a proposal going into the banquet season". That's fine, if that were the only action. Why push to get it on the F&W agenda, or make a proposal to them, PRIOR TO GETTING MEMBER INPUT (and not just a few)! If it turns out that the majority of the members want it, then push it. If not, no harm, no foul. If it had been conducted like this, and it turned out that the majority of the members wanted it, I would accept it. I wouldn't like it, but I would accept it. Instead, the way that it has been conducted it is a "dope deal".

Just remember Sky, all of the things that you listed were made possible because of the MEMBERS and SPONSORS. Without them, the NWTF would be nothing. It will be interesting to see how much money is lost and how many memberships are dropped because of this action. Right off the top of my head, I already know of about $1000-1500 lost and 2 memberships.

14. moosehead rollins

moosehead rollins 8 pointer

Feb 13, 2003
    Louisville, Kentucky.
    Im going to turkey hunt for the first time this year...not because i am just dying to turkey hunt but to thin them out...I saw 3 turkey in my spot 2 years ago. this year there were of....damn things were eating up the corn in my deer feeder.

15. INKYHUNTER

INKYHUNTER Cyber-Hunter

Dec 10, 2001
    Bowling Green, KY, USA.
    I am a member of the NWTF and I agree with SKY that the organization does alot for the sportsman. But I agree with Big 58 on this one! Sky you got in bed with the UBK and screwed the ML hunter.