How long should roofing contractor be responsible?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by WildmanWilson, Aug 8, 2018.

1. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Had my roof done 6 years ago and now have a 2 foot rotten spot where a valley meets the soffit. The guy didn’t use any flashing and just put silicone in the gap. Now water gushes under the shingles and into the overhanging soffit. I never noticed it until now. I talked to the guy but can tell he’s going to not man up and cover his work.

How long do you think they should be responsible? This is 100% because he took a short cut.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  2. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Honestly if he don't man up, he's a guy I'd never call back. 6 years is a short time for that stuff to happen imo

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Play nice, and try to convince him to do what's right. If he doesn't come through, tell him you're going to massacre him on social media, and take him to court. Hopefully, he will come around.

mudhole crossing likes this.
  4. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Tha
    Thats my plan.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Good luck man. Keep us posted, and share his name if he doesn't come through. I'll gladly share your story far and wide if he doesn't come through.

6. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Is there anyway you can provide a picture?

7. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Most reputable contractors ..roofing or otherwise will normally give a one year general warranty on their work / craftsmanship. Which I’ve even known a few commercial contractors that may stretch it out to 18 months or even two years on specific things.

But ... beyond that... 6 years... doubtful they would honor that... and honestly I’m doubtful it would hold up in court by taking legal action.

Which ... materials like shingles are normally warranted anywhere from 10 to 20 years from their manufacture. However if the shingle defect was caused by improper installation ... the manufacturer warranty is normally voided.

I’ll also say on a lot of residential roofing concerning a valley... it’s not always flashed with metal flashing. As the felt application and the shingles of the two roof lines are either closed (woven) or open cut valley types.

Which probably not what you want to hear... but if the valley is leaking... it’s more of an actual shingle problem to allow the water to get to the decking & soffit. Being somewhere there’s a hole in the roofing material regardless if flashing is there are not.

Also say... you need to be sure it isn’t a gutter issue allowing the water to back up the valley. Which a clogged downspout or potentially undersized gutters and / or lack of enough down spouts to convey the water off the roof.

EdLongshanks and barney like this.
  8. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    No its 100% of the way he took short cuts. Its not in the actual valley and is a little hard to explain. Ill post pictures when I get time. The water from the valley flows down then goes around another roof line. Where they meet he should have put flashing or something but instead just put a bead of silicon as big around as your finger across it to fill a gap he left. Well this was fine for a few years I suppose but the silicon allowed water in as it pulled away and its a river going under the layer of shingles below it. Its not leaking in the house but into the soffit and Im hoping not into the wall.

I understand 6 years seems like a long time to warranty the job but I hate to see him keep doing this and getting away with this. Especially when you spend many thousands to put on a roof.

9. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Mr Miller is correct which is why I was requesting a picture.

10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    It sounds like you have a hog in a valley. Is it where a room addition ties into the roofline?

11. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Is the roofing company local and still going strong in your area? I ask because the pain associated with rebranding might be worth it for him to fix the issue. We have a 10 year labor guaranteed in writing from our contractor however he has started some other businesses and I think at this point roofing is something he could walk away from.

Did you inspect this area when it was installed? I took off work and watched the entire process and caught many many mistakes as they happened. There was 1 guy who knew what he was doing and several others that did not. There was zero supervision by the guy that knew what he was doing... he was working and waiting to be asked questions by his guys. He fixed everything i addressed but i should not have to do that. If i had not been there (or not installed dozens of roofs in the past) would have had a terrible install. My roof is super steep or i would have done it myself.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  12. I was in the business a few years 20 years ago and 2 years on labor was standard.

Everybody wants to cheap out on roofing, but think nothing of the electrician’s huge bill. Wonder which one sweated hardest lol? When selecting a roofing contractor you better go with the one who had been around 20+ years and under the best of circumstances it’s tough to 100% dry in difficult roofs without an issue.

EdLongshanks, barney and carnivore like this.
  13. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Personally I would think if the damage came from him not flashing that it is his responsibility to repair the damage. If he chooses not to I would definitely report him to the BBB and put it out there for everyone to see on any media outlets that you have. When I bought my house I had a leak around my dormers. I caulked and siliconed and tarred the hell out of it and never could fix the issue. Finally turned it in on insurance after a bad storm did a bunch of water damage and turns out the flashing was put in in reverse so water was being ushered in instead repelled away. If I knew the guy that did it originally I would have called him for sure!!

14. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Our roofing guy has come back 2-4 years later and fixed mistakes and things he was not ever responsible for but then again he does all our roofs and that includes 17 rentals as well as our own homes and other family members homes. So that is a good business for him and that's why he will do this for us. But most of the roofers we've talked to over the years only cover their work up to about a year.

15. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    WW.... agree and maybe I’m not understanding it .. no doubt I sincerely hate it for you or anyone if indeed shoddy craftsmanship and shortcuts.

But ....was it spelled out in contract or specifically agreed to how certain areas of the roof were to be addressed?? In turn ..after the fact ...you obviously accepted the job upon completion and made payment.

Which not trying to hold up for the contractor here at all..... there's some crappy ones out there. But there is also a line between contractor craftsmanship and owner responsibility of maintenance. Being the roofing materials themselves, caulks & sealants are perishable items that have to be periodically maintained. Which in some cases of construction where varying roof lines & transitions on custom homes / buildings ... there is not a "standard practice" and have to be addressed case by case. Heck.. I've seen many cases where architects design was so screwed up... the engineers cant even come up with a guaranteed fix for it to not leak.

Again ...I'm not pointing fingers, implying anything....nor my place to say what's right or wrong.

Just saying 6 years is a long stretch concerning warranty from a residential contractor.

Good Luck.

EdLongshanks and drakeshooter like this.