How join th fight for center fired at night?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by nkyhornhunter, Feb 19, 2017.

1. nkyhornhunter

nkyhornhunter Fawn

Aug 25, 2014
    I've heard talks about a group pushing my lawmakers to legalize center fired rifles for night hunting. Do any off you guys have any knowledge of this? If not... Where would be a good place for me to start?

2. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
  3. nkyhornhunter

nkyhornhunter Fawn

Aug 25, 2014
    Care to elaborate? There are MANY states that allow center fire at night.

4. nkyhornhunter

nkyhornhunter Fawn

Aug 25, 2014
    90 views and 1 response... Either there are not very many night hunters on here or it appears i'm the only one that feels this law is ridiculous. It is put into place because to government believes the people are not competent enough to make safe choices while hunting at night... I don't know about you guys but that does not sit very well with me. The only arguments I hear to this law are- to prevent poaching and safety.... The poaching argument is about like gun control laws.... it's already illegal to shoot deer, turkey at night...they put the no center fired rifles law in place to make it what? Double illegal? Just doesn't make sense to me and certainly not on private property.

5. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    I'll chime in. Lights for coyotes are only allowed 4 months of the year. The rest of the time is moonlight only. There is something about moonlight and center fire rifles that doesn't sound good to me. It is a bad idea.

kyfuzzyface and Gooch like this.
  6. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'll have to agree ,I sure don't want somebody around where I live in the dark with a rifle.I just cant just trust anybody

kyfuzzyface and davers like this.
  7. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    I agree bad ideal. And I am all in on to much regulation from government, but to me this is a safety issue. What ever means is used as light there is still pitch darkness a centerfire distance behind it. I have seen enough people make dumb choices during day light. I know someone who had angus heifer shot from joining property in the daylight. Truck ID'ed going out ridge. Accident or not they didnt come to make it right. They had to make a phone call to get restitution.

8. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    I'd like to be able to use an infrared scope on my farm at night. I know which directions I can shoot safely. But, not all places have the room to do it. There in lies the problem. Some people just wouldn't use common sense.

bdbrown66, JR in KY and davers like this.
  9. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    10-4

10. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    I am all for it, on Private land. I don't see one good argument against it. Public land is a different story.

davers likes this.
  11. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    x3 BAD IDEA.

kyfuzzyface likes this.
  12. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    I don't hear about these sure onsets of stupidity ringing in from OH where it's legal to hunt vermin at night with a center fire rifle. And for the most part, OH is even more flat than good ol KY.

Fact of the matter is, very few people would do it if legalized - very few partake in it now with shotguns. The ones already hunting at night with centerfire rifles probably make up the mass of those that would fall into the category of no common sense to make good shots - so those fools are likely already doing the kinds of things you all are scared would happen if legalized. The ones that would start hunting at night with a centerfire rifle if allowed, by in large, would be reasonable about it I think.

I'll ask my friends in OH how big a problem night time poaching of deer is there since guys can legally be out hunting with high powered rifles at night time there. And they don't "spot light". At least the guys I know that night hunt coyotes don't. They use nightvision equipment. ;)

coyote1758 likes this.
  13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Personally, I think it's a horrible idea. Just makes poaching easier.

kyfuzzyface and davers like this.
  14. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I am not a "Night time" Hunter, but some here have valid reasons for and against it. I'd be happy if Lawmakers would allow the use of small centerfire cartridges become legal to hunt Squirrels in Kentucky. Indiana allows this and it hasn't hurt anything. Many up there hunt Squirrels with reduced loads in .22 Hornets or another small centerfire cartridge.

15. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run