How Do You Find An Honest, Competent Lawyer??

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by KYote-Krusher, Aug 11, 2018.

1. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    Does anyone out there know of an "almost" sure-fire way to locate an attorney experienced in the auto accident field where death is involved that:

A. Is extremely competent in that area of the law.
    B. Will look out for the interest of their client as well as their own.
    C. Will NOT be intimidated or bought off by an insurance company.

It's hard to believe that there isn't (or at least I can't find) some type of rating service or website that is reliable and available to the public. Everything I've been able to find is just advertising by the lawyers themselves telling everybody how great they are and then backed up by other members of their OWN firm and family members .... HA!! ... guess what that's worth!

I know many of the lawyers in the South Central Kentucky and there are some that have excellent reputations in the area of business or criminal law, one in particular, if you can stand the bill your going to get, is usually able to get you off scott free for anything short of a mass school shooting but that's not what's needed here.

A good friend of mine suffered a tragedy recently, tried to hold off on hiring a lawyer so that they could think about their new situation and settle down a bit but were more or less bullied into hiring one because of the pressure the insurance companies were putting on them and the constant calls by ambulance chasers. Sure enough, in just a matter of DAYS, it became obvious that the clown they hired was going to put his and the insurance company's interest in front of theirs. He's no longer representing them and I'm trying to help them find someone with the qualities listed above.

The attorney's who advertise on TV all the time are suspect in my opinion, like I said before, I know several of them and they are all doing quite well for themselves thank you but I've never heard of any of their clients skipping rope with happiness after they got their settlements; I have heard complaints about how little they received.

Would my friends be better off going to one of the huge firms in Louisville or Lexington or even in another state if they're licensed to practice in Kentucky? I just don't know and can't seem to find out anything concrete.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Word of mouth is what i trust (as a starting point). Most will give you a free meeting so you can walk away if your gut tells you to. Lawyers work with and know each other and asking a lawyer or judge you (or freinds of yours) have worked with before that specilizes in another field will likely give you a good idea of who to avoid and who a few good ones are in other specialties. Or you can hire the one with the most billboards and radio ads LOL.

KYote-Krusher likes this.
  3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I dealt with a lawyer recently that I thought was honest (you never really know)although I wasn’t particularly happy with the settlement, I just got to the point where I wanted it to be over. Our situations are different in that there wasn’t death or even a catastrophic injury involved. That in itself holds merit. I can pass PM you a name and number if you want. I know there are more important things than money but if negligence was involved causing death big money can be involved. Just an unavoidable accident and sadly the payout is not often that much even with death being involved.

4. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    That's Like looking for a 3 legged unicorn when trying to find an honest lawyer.

gicts, bigbonner, Dark Cloud and 2 others like this.
  5. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky

Hee hee, the ones with the billboards are the ones I would specifically avoid!

My concern with word of mouth is that you'd end up with a recommendation for their best friend rather than the best for that area of justice but then again, if the same name or names kept popping up, that might be an excellent indicator.

What I'd really like to find is an insurance company listing of who took them to court rather than settle with them and then, if they did settle, for how much money for the type of accident involved.

However ... I'm having a little trouble coming up with that list. :D

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  6. My biggest gripe with attorneys is the way they are all in a little click in criminal justice and civil matters. The judge is an attorney, the prosecutor is an attorney and of course so is your defense. What could possibly go wrong with that scenario? By design the laws are written in a language you must be a lawyer to interpret while the criminal justice system is so convoluted for the same reason. There is no good reason I can think of to write in such a way other than to keep the average Joe ignorant and for their own job security. I don’t think much of lawyers as you can tell, any present company excluded of course lmao.

Feedman, barney and KYote-Krusher like this.
  7. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky

Thank you for the kind offer, I may ask you for the name if we can't come up with someone closer to home. Honest ... is worth it's weight in gold in a case like this.

I wish I could post the details of this tragedy but I'd better not, lest I identify the parties involved and get them into some kind of trouble (and myself as well). Suffice to say, this was nothing short of manslaughter as far as I can tell and I'd just about bet the farm, a cell phone was involved ... don't know that for sure .... yet. :(

8. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky

They're all just amateur politicans, go along to get along. When they turn pro they go to Frankfort or Washington.

Mitch is a lawyer you know ... the ultimate practicing professional attorney!! :rolleyes: :p

drakeshooter likes this.
  9. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    You need to know exactly what you want and are willing to settle for. Make sure you add 20-50% to this number when your lawyer asks this question. “Im not sure” is a terrible answer. Xbo what %short did your lawyer fall short?

10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Well I can tell you this the police report can say a person is 100% negligent and without it causing major injury or death your still not going to make enough to cover your losses. Death or life changing injury gets you the bucks. I was blessed my daughter and I weren’t hurt bad although I did do 3 months therapy on my back but no major surgeries....yet. However, the “yet” part holds no merit in court according to the lawyer I had. In other words, you’ll get paid on what happened not what may happen eventually. I do like the fact that the lawyer I used repeatedly said, “Never wish to trade your health for money.” He could have encouraged me to put on a neck brace, take leave etc..., of course I’d never play that game. I’m just glad it’s over and I could afford another decent vehicle. Although making a payment because of someone else’s ignorance chaps my @$$! Good luck to your friend. So sorry about his loss.

Lady Hunter and KYote-Krusher like this.
  11. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    True story: A friend of mine employed a truck driver who got in an accident that was totally the other person's fault .... don't remember exactly what happened but his driver was hurt bad enough to be hospitalized but mostly just for observation, nothing real serious, not even a broken bone.

Anyway, his driver gets a lawyer who convinces him he can sue everybody involved and get rich. :rolleyes: He also convinces him that if he'd have a simple little operation on his back, even though he didn't need one, he'd get twice as rich.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Long story short, the driver had the operation and ended up paralyzed for life. He did NOT get rich but the lawyer made out just fine in case you were worried about him. :mad:

Those are the kind of games you DO NOT want to play. Pretty sad really. :(

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    xbokilla likes this.
  12. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Man... karma is a B!

13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Good point. Its the only lawsuit/settlement I’ve ever been involved with. I told him upfront I wanted enough to pay for my new used truck I bought but that didn’t happen. When he finally told me he felt like he had gotten as much out of them as he could without us going to court I just said to heck with it and settled. I’ll give props to my insurance company they paid my bills and sent my payout for my truck in a timely manner. The lawyer didn’t feel like we’d do any better going to court. Maybe he was pulling my leg and my case just wouldn’t a big money maker but I was ready to move on. They also treated my case and my little girls as two victims. I wasn’t willing to parade her around for a sympathy vote.

KYote-Krusher and carnivore like this.
  14. Dangermouse

Dangermouse 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2004
    Hazard, Ky, USA.
    How Do You Find An Honest, Competent Lawyer ? Isn't that what they call a oxymoron.

15. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky