How do YOU aim your bow?

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by BuckFeverFeen, Aug 5, 2015.

1. BuckFeverFeen

BuckFeverFeen 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2015
    Somerset
    I'm curious. When I shoot I can aim one of two ways. This might sound like a stupid topic but I'm just wondering if other people battle themselves with this...issue or internal debate I guess I can call it. The first being the obvious way, draw the bow and go through the basic checks : grip, bubble level, center the pin, put the pin on the target, re center the pin check bubble, check pin and squeeze (I know everyone has their own process but that's not what i'm talking about here.) The other way I find myself doing and the way I prefer is basically the same but instead of concentrating on the pin and the target during the squeeze I allow my mind to go blank and just let it fly when it feels right without concentrating so much on the pin being where I want it. I'm no competition shooter but with a little practice I can hold my own and produce very tight groups. Just wondering if anyone else knows what I'm talking about or does it the same way.

2. EKYridgerunner

EKYridgerunner 10 pointer

Sep 13, 2010
    What direction is the wind?

3. BuckFeverFeen

BuckFeverFeen 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2015
    Somerset
    I'm typically in a holler so it's swirling.

4. EKYridgerunner

EKYridgerunner 10 pointer

Sep 13, 2010
    That makes it trickier, but on a typical day with a good prevailing SW, I tend to go through the motions and check myself like you said in the first option.

On a wind like we have coming this evening, and NW, I usually just stay home...ain't worth the trouble.

5. BuckFeverFeen

BuckFeverFeen 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2015
    Somerset
    Wind don't effect deer movement. that's a myth.

6. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Youve obviously not hunted a NW wind in Semptember in Ky.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Wow, ya'll shot a promising thread to crap.

cedar ridge likes this.
  8. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

Back on track. It has almost become instinctive.
    Draw
    Anchor
    Pin on target
    Jerk the heck out of the trigger
    Hope for the best

9. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I don't aim my bow. I focus on the spot I want to shoot. And allow my pin to float in my line of sight.

10. yote hunter

yote hunter 12 pointer

Oct 30, 2004
    bullitt county
    Throw your pin away and just shoot the target. No need for guessing the distance at all just shoot the target. For thousands of years people didn't need pins.

11. Jerod

Jerod 10 pointer

Oct 30, 2008
    KY
    Lol well this thread went to crap. I shoot with no arrow so every time I have to adjust a limb or riser

12. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 8 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    Option two does not compute for me, so I guess I go with option 1.

I've robin-hooded and destroyed more arrows than I'd like so I guess it works for me. :D

13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I used to draw, and bring the pin up from below.... When I was young and stronger, that worked fine.... I have learned in the last 5 years or so, to draw, and lower my pin to the target. I put my finger on the trigger as I near the target, and slow my descent. If I'm steady, I squeeze. If not, I hold until the pin is on the target, and then squeeze. As I tire, I begin punching. Not going to lie. I shoot better than average, so I'm OK with that. I don't shoot more than 2 arrows at 30 or less. Arrows too expensive for that.

14. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Not a great target shooter by any means but I have let the wind out of my fair share of bambi's with a stick and string. I am much like bg. I pull, anchor with my pin high usually, let my pin lower to my spot then squeeze if it all feels right. If it doesn't and I have to wait, moving deer or something of that nature, I seem to tend to pull slightly it seems. I'm no pro though and average at best. I do always like to try to watch my arrow travel to the target though. I'm not shooting any 350 fps bow or anything so typically can catch my fletching rotating. Keeps my focus on my spot better it seems and shoot tighter groups.

15. just me

just me 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2013
    Pull, aim, squeeze, and sweep.....if that don't work try stop, drop, & roll.