Help me so I know what to expect hunting coyotes with the .17 Hornet .

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by hunter15270, Feb 24, 2018.

1. hunter15270

hunter15270 Fawn

Mar 7, 2016
    Hello , I'm a long time reader but a first time poster here on the Kentucky Hunting forum . I have a .17 hornet and purchased some of the Hornady 25gr hp factory ammo for it and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this combination for coyote hunting ? I have several other pred/varmint rifles that are more powerful but I was wondering how effective this would work on coyotes inside of 200 yards ? I'm sure that with this tiny round that my shots will have to be very accurate , but will they be able to get away with a boiler room shot , so do I need to be certain to not shoot unless I am able to get a rare headshot ? I do reload but I have not started reloading this cartridge as of yet . Hopefully someone out there can give me some first hand experience . Thank you

2. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I can tell you this hit the Yote in the body. DEAD YOTE. Damn tear him in two. I limit my range 150 yards or less. It isn't much in the wind tho. Wind will take bullet off target. VERY ACCURATE. Everyone I shot dropped right where I shot it at.

3. hunter15270

hunter15270 Fawn

Mar 7, 2016
    I was hoping that it would drop them quickly with the 25gr hp . But after getting the rifle I read a lot of people online talking about how they think that the 17 fireball is not effective enough for coyotes .

4. hunter15270

hunter15270 Fawn

Mar 7, 2016
    Mine IS the 17 hornet and after reading that about the 17 FB , I was very uncertain about using my little hornet . Thank you for the info .

5. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    TRUST ME IT WILL DO THE JOB!!!!!! When you smack the first one. You will see what I mean. You wont believe the hole it will make.

6. hunter15270

hunter15270 Fawn

Mar 7, 2016
    I have one more question . I just noticed on my avatar that it has the word ( fawn ) , can I and if so , how do I change that to something not quite so panzy .

7. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I have fooled with the 22 Hornet in a T/C Contender and have dropped several yotes within a 100 yds with a 17HMR. Which you will definitely here from most that the latter is too small.

But I have zero experience with a 17 Hornet.

So my guess .... as mentioned.... I’d limit my shots to less than 150 and preferably to 100 if possible.

Which shot placement is key as always... but more important in my opinion is the type bullet you use. I’d go with anything that’s not frangible on the small calibers. Which a hollow point might be ok... but if I could find something like a pointed soft point.. it would be my choice.

8. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Soft lead nose is what I use to JD. I have killed them with my 17HMR to. But shoot the 17 Hornet more.

9. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    You can’t easily.... it relates to post count.

So... until you reply or post x-amount ... your a fawn.

10. hunter15270

hunter15270 Fawn

Mar 7, 2016
    I totally agree with you about it's not the kill but I don't want even a mangy coyote crawling off and dying a slow agonizing death . I try my best to always drop an animal that I shoot as quickly as possible

11. hunter15270

hunter15270 Fawn

Mar 7, 2016
    I hope to get out Monday and do some coyote calling but with all of this rain , I may have to use a boat to get to Meade county . I will not be using the little 17 hornet even if I am able to go , but I may use my 22 hornet if I don't use my ar.

12. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I hunt LBL often for yotes and their silly arsed rules say you can only hunt yotes when another hunting season is in and your restricted to the weapons of that hunting season.

That means mostly small game seasons and your limited to rim fire or shotgun. With exception of February ... the only month they allow centerfire weapons.

So.... I hunt with a 17 HMR a lot there and just limit my shots to 75yds are under. Which I use CCI Gamepoints . They expand and mushroom versus blowing apart like a lot of bullets made for the 17 HMR.

I would expect a 17 Hornet will drop them even better... but it would be beneficial to limit your range to prevent runners as much as possible. Which I’ve not got a lot of compassion for a yote and maybe my ethical standards are lower than whale crap concerning this critter. But I like to see them drop quick and won’t trail the too hard regardless.

13. hunter15270

hunter15270 Fawn

Mar 7, 2016
    I've only shot one animal with 17 hmr and unfortunately it was when the round first came out , I believe it was one of the 17gr bullets . I shot at a pretty good size groundhog with it and it was able to crawl away and get into it's hole before I could get to it to finish it off.

14. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    I had a 17 hmr I bought to squirrel hunt with. It was tearing the squirrels in half. I saw to yotes in a field at around 175 yards. Shot one between the eyes and the other in the shoulder. I was using the 17 grain bullets and both of them dropped dead in their tracks. I was rather impressed at the size hole in left in both of them. I traded the gun off for a 22 because it was tearing the squirrels up so bad. I wouldn' hesitate to use that setup on yotes

elkaholic likes this.
  15. hunter15270

hunter15270 Fawn

Mar 7, 2016
    I've heard that if you use a 17 hmr on coyotes, to make sure that you use the 20gr or a fmj bullet because the 17gr will almost certainly just make a splash wound on one . I would have to assume that obviously depends on where exactly you hit them . I would not be too afraid to use the 17 hmr on fox , IF I were using a well constructed 20gr and I was within 100 yards of the fox whenever I took the shot . I no longer have a good place to hunt groundhogs , so I do not get to hunt them very often , but if I did I would make certain to use a good 20gr bullet if I were using the 17 hmr .