Had a great trip to Charlevoix!!!

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by RLWEBB, Jun 13, 2018.

1. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    5A4E8161-E931-444F-9B01-BEF2D3C824F0.jpeg 6293D37E-E963-4E3F-A80B-9C7E5F54CD3C.jpeg 3D3E76FA-0C1C-4902-B3FC-FDD44D26DDE6.jpeg Well we got back last week from week in Northern Michigan. We had a great trip and I caught several Smallmouth. Also caught several Pike. I had never caught Pike before and was surprised at how hard these fish fight. They will readily attack a Megabass 110 Jerkbait and cost me two of them on this trip. Water temps on the south arm were between 70-73 and on the east arm at Boyne City they were between 56-60. The people there were so nice and everyone was very curious as to whether or not I was a tournament bass fisherman. Seems they don’t see to many bass boats and most folks fish for Pike and Walleye. The bass seemed to be in all stages of the spawn. I caught them deep, shallow, and some even on their beds. All were immediately released. Caught them on Megabass and Rapala jerkbaits, Spro crankbaits, Terminator spinnerbaits, Zoom and Yamamoto soft plastics, and Zara Spooks. The size 10 Rapala X Rap in Hot head color and in pink were the best baits though. Michigan is a beautiful state and it seems that the farther north you go the prettier it is. Much of it reminded me the farm country in Boyd and Lawrence counties. I’m attaching a couple of pics. There not the best but you’ll get the idea.

KYBOY, barney, bmason and 5 others like this.
  2. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Glad you had a good time. Now you can say I got Pike Slimed. :D At least you didn't get bit by one of those toothy things or did you. They tried to stock some in Peabody lakes around here at one time. They didn't take hold tho for some reason, maybe to warm of water in the summer months IDK. I kept waiting on someone to lip one like a bass and hear of the outcome.

3. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I can only imagine them blowing up a spook. Bet that was a fun trip.

4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    They will flat destroy a spinner bait

5. bmason

bmason 6 pointer

Mar 31, 2006
    Did you fish any lake other than Charlevoix? I leave Thursday!

6. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Michigan is a sportsmens dream. I'd move to the UP yesterday if the wife would let me. Very fond memeories of the upper LP growing up, and one trip the the length of the UP.

7. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I have the same problem, wife won't let me

8. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Thanks Duster. No, I didn’t get bit but I made sure to take precautions not to. As I said, I’d never caught Pike before. They were fun to catch buy a little frustrating also when your hoping for a smallmouth and a Pike comes up. I really loved the country up there. I wouldn’t care to live there but a local told me that they average 100” of snow a year. I just don’t think I could stand that!!!