Habaneros

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by grouseguy, Aug 13, 2018.

1. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

By mistake back in May, grousegal picked up a 4-pack of habaneros. I put them out and now have lots of green to orange peppers.

I’ve never raised them and understand they’re hotter than jalopenos and cayennes ... what’s your best methods of use and preserving them?

2. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Throw them as far as you can lol

barney and JR PORTER like this.
  3. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Jalepenos hot enuff for me.

JR PORTER and carnivore like this.
  4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I don't grow then, sorry, too hot for me

5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I'd drink 3 or 4 beers, then cut them length wise, and remove the seed. Then chop them as fine as you can get them. If you get to this point, go on and put them in freezer bags and drop them in the freezer. In 4 or 5 years when you clean the freezer you can throw them away then.

6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Hotter than jalopenos and cayennes is an understatement. I eat cayennes right out of the garden. jalopenos when I eat something with them. But those are hotter than HELL. I wont eat em. Wear gloves when you pick them. If you like hot stuff then you will be ok. You can dry them like cayennes or can them like jalopenos. But if not find some Mexicans to take them.

barney and mudhole crossing like this.
  7. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    Hey Grousrguy take them down to Smithfield plant and sell them by the roadside.
    You can also seed them out , blanch them in boiling water then put the in an ice bath . Pull the skins off of them and freeze them for use . This will take a good bit of heat out of them.

8. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 8 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    I’ve been dehydrating chili peppers the past couple years. I grind them and make my own chili powder. Serranos, cayenne, jalapeño, hot banana. I’ve tasted a habenero once. I’m scared of them. Wear gloves and have good ventilation if you cook or dehydrate them.

9. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    A few years ago a guy gave me a couple of habaneros. He said to be careful. He wasn't kidding. I cut a slice out of one no thicker than a piece of paper. I tried tasting it and it was like battery acid burning the end of my tongue off.

10. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    LMAO, Dehydrate them and grind them up,then you can use in anything chili, mexican dishes, anything you want to spice up. Just remember a 1/4 teaspoon is a lot of heat. One of the best things is last canning of tomato juice I will add 1/4 teaspoon of ground to each quart jar. Hot juice is great for chasing shine and a could kick while your waiting on the dogs to dump before the morning hunt. Also add 3-4 to an empty Woodford half pint bottle and fill with vinegar. A super small hole in cap an let ferment a couple weeks. Use this for greens, BBQ, beans anything you want. For the after dove shoot meal, Field & Stream's Doves From Hell recipe is a good use for habaneros.More of an appetizer, that's good for a conversation. Always wear surgical gloves when handling you will only forget this once.

Nock and EdLongshanks like this.
  11. claynut69

claynut69 6 pointer

Nov 14, 2007
    pulaski, co
    A few years ago my bil made habenero wine ( he is a wine making nut). Had to use a hazmat suit because fumes were about to kill him. After aging and bottling it made a great hot sauce. Had sweetness of wine but a bite from hell. It makes a great seasoning for bloody marys.

12. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    I can 'em in half pint jars & then whenever I make a big batch of salsa to can later, I drain a jar & chop them into the salsa. Mmmm!!! Good stuff!!! Gives it a kick you sure can't find in stores! My husband has also made a peach-habanero sauce that he uses on chicken, wings, pork, etc. I've also dried & chopped them (do NOT breathe any of the dust!!!) and mixed them with normal crushed red peppers for extra zip.

13. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

Sounds like I should just stick with canning and freezing my jalopenos, hot bananas and cayennes and throw the habaneros away unless any of you brave souls would like a gallon or two of them.

14. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    I love them, used to can them every year. Last time I canned them, I think I had 30 pints. You have to pack them tight in the jars. I canned them in my man cave (garage). When I finished and put every thing away, I got a strong urge to pee. I never thought the pepper juice on my hands and that little feller about burned off. A blow torch would have cooled it down. The wife still laughs about it. Ouch. :eek::eek:

Nock, bondhu, drakeshooter and 5 others like this.