Gun safe question

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by StateBear257, Nov 20, 2017.

1. StateBear257

StateBear257 Fawn

Nov 26, 2014
    Sorry if there are numerous threads on this, but I have a question regarding a gun safe: is a Liberty safe from Cabelas worth the several hundred dollars more in expense over a Cannon safe from Tractor Supply? Thanks in advance for the help!

2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Manufactures & models differ on fire rating & security features ....and its usually the difference in price. Being more expensive models probably have a higher / longer fire rating or could have more locking bolts or maybe a higher end lock system.

Which it all boils down to what you want...or want to spend.

I've actually got two safes.... one (Browning) I gave quite a bit of money for and then later on needed more space. So I ended up buying one of the cheaper (24-gun) Winchester brand safes at Tractor Supply on sale for like $600. I've been pleased with the Winchester and honestly like its features & lay-out better than my other one. I use it primarily for guns I use a lot. Which even though its cheaper...it has more bolts / lugs than my other one and has external hinges that let the door swing totally out of the way. Which I was a little concerned with external hinges but the reality is even if they were cut off .... there's like 12 bolts / lugs (1.25" diameter) ... there's no way to get the door out or off. They would have to literally cut into the side of the safe to get to the items. In turn I look at it this way.... there's no safe that couldn't be breached but its going to take them awhile to do it or hopefully with ammo & black powder I keep stored in both... the fools will blow themselves up in the process.

As such... my Browning is a nice safe...a few more bells and whistles... but I cant say its that much better than the Tractor Supply Winchester brand. Which I'd say that may be the case between the Liberty or the Cannon your looking at. I'd also say when I got my first one I was all about the fire rating... but as I've got older... I'd put more emphasis on security & ease of use. Being fire ratings are important...but realistically most of us in rural areas ..we may exceed temps or time before a house fire is under control. However some meth-head breaking in to steal your stuff.... is more apt to occur.

But... for features to look for in my opinion.
    1. Highest / longest fire rating.
    2. Electronic keypad vs. traditional combination... personal preference but I like the keypad just for ease of access.
    3. Security features... number of bolts, hinge design & door swing in relation to where you put it.
    4. Buy the biggest you can afford... as the number the manufacture says will fit ...will usually differ than what you can actually get in. As guns with scopes.. AR's or anything attached will change this up drastically. I also say as much storage as you can get on the inside of the door panels are a plus.

Good luck.

JR PORTER likes this.
  3. 454Casull

454Casull Spike

Oct 20, 2006
    Woodford County
    I have a Liberty that I bought used and have absolutely no complaints about it. JD is correct, it's the features, paint, locking lugs etc. that is the price difference. Buy one at least twice as big as you think, you will fill it way faster than you think. I like the traditional mechanical lock over the electronic lock. I had a small 1 pistol lock box with an electronic lock that malfunctioned with my pistol in it and had to wait for 3 months with the alarm sounding every 15 minutes for the batteries to wear down, before I could open it. Swore I would never have an electronic lock on anything again. YMMV.

4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I have two liberties. Well worth the money IMO, others may not agree. Rule of thumb, multiply the number of long guns you have, or will have, by 1.5 for sufficient safe size. A 20 gun safe will not hold 20 scoped rifles. If I would have known this prior to buying first safe 25 yrs ago, I would not have two safes. A Liberty Fat Boy got my attention the other day.

5. claynut69

claynut69 6 pointer

Nov 14, 2007
    pulaski, co
    When the store burnt down in western ky, I was told the liberty safes opened up easily. all the others had to pried open. The insides were all okay on all of them. sp fire rating is important.

6. Al..

Al.. Fawn

Mar 25, 2010
    Kentucky
    Yes get larger than you think you need and best fire rating.

They don’t realistically hold as many as they say

Got this from our local Southern States and they delivered.
    Happy with it.

87D4EDF3-5FB8-47DB-8226-11FA537513CD.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  7. Drahts

Drahts 6 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I have a Liberty and a Cannon. The liberty is 1/4" steel all the way around and the door. You can't get into it with anything but torch. The canon is sheet metal covering drywall. 8 minutes with a firemans axe and your in. Liberty all the way.

cedar ridge likes this.
  8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    On a different note, thoughts on a gun safe in an attached garage? I don't have a gun safe, but want one. My hunting/trophy room is upstairs, and I have concerns about the weight of a quality gun safe upstairs. Thought about putting in the garage, but concerned with the temperature extremes and condensation.

9. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    I've had a Browning gun safe in my garage for the last 3 years. The garage is insulated but not heated. I keep a plug in Browning dehumidifier in the bottom behind my guns and haven't had any problems at all.

10. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    My Browning safe has a electronic lock which I can be in the safe in 5 seconds. The battery is accessible in the bottom of the keypad and I've only had to replace it once in the past 3 years. I had a Winchester safe, which I really liked, but seemed like I had to replace the battery 3 times a year or more.

11. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Didn't know that about a cannon. I almost bought one at tractor supply, really liked the wide body style, lots of room.

12. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Ive had friends keep safes in their garage with no issues, but that would make me very nervous. I would run a dehumidifier but there is an extra energy cost associated with that plan.
    My basement is very dry so i went that route. If i was in your position i would consider multiple smaller safes rather than 1 large and keep in the house.

13. ITLXLR8

ITLXLR8 Spike

Nov 15, 2011
    I've had no problems with having one in the garage. I just keep several of the dessicant type dehumidifiers in it, and recharge them when they indicate that they are damp. No big deal. If you are considering a safe, I highly recommend these guys in Nashville. They have hundreds of safes in stock for you to look at. Great prices and service too! They will be happy to answer any possible questions that you could have about a safe.
    http://www.nashvillesafehouse.com/

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  14. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    IMG_0103.JPG I have this guy and I love it. I just wish I had another. It's extremely well built. You would destroy the contents before you could get into it and it looks great in my basement. Phenomenal fire rating as well. I have an electric dehumidifier in the bottom. I've purchased lights...but have not mounted them yet and I've had the safe for 7 years :mad:

http://www.superiorgunsafes.com/phone/master.html

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  15. bigbonner

bigbonner 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    My Sister had a combination style gun safe and I believe it was a elite brand .
    Thieves broke into her home and opened the safe up with their bare hands . The thieves had cranked on the door opening handles until it bent parts inside and allowed the handle to turn and open the door .
    When we took the door apart and seen the crappy mechanism that kept the handle from turning to open the door , we understood how the pieces bent and allowed the door to open .
    I always thought that a shear pin in the handle was supposed to break so that parts inside could not be moved without the proper combination .

Safes can be dollied ,carried , or moved . Thieves can steal the entire thing . Also a battery powered 4 inch grinder is a thief's best friend .
    If I find one in the right place it may be his last best friend ;)