Guide prices??

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by Monster01, May 16, 2018 at 11:03 PM.

1. Monster01

Monster01 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2013
    Is there a way a regular working man could get pointed in the right direction.
    I browsed the internet and only found one outfitter that would post there prices and it was a months salary perday to hunt with them. 6k for 3 day hunt.
    Maybe thats a good deal . i dont know.
    I do know this is a chance of a hundred lifetimes and i want a chance at filling my tag . ive got no problem with wearing out a couple pairs of boots to make it happen but id love a helping hand that doesnt cost a arm and a leg.
    Any of you guys care to post your experience self guided or not . prices would be awesome if you were guided.
    Thanks in advance

2. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
  3. Monster01

Monster01 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2013
    Bull firearm

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Back in 2013 my daughter drew a firearms bull tag - 1st week..... which I view any of the elk tags as a hunt of a lifetime... especially this one for her.

So... I booked with LMO... and in my opinion was top notch and without reservation would book again.

She ended up killing a 6x7 on the first morning of her hunt.... and from the hunting perspective, guides, food and camp atmosphere... we had a very memorable experience in a relatively short time period.

Cost wise.... she was in college at the time and had been accepted into law school.... so to say money was tight at the time was an understatement. But then again I wanted her to have the best opportunity possible ...and us living on the opposite end of the state...I really didn't see any option. There was no way we could run back & forth trying to gain access or locate bulls. Which with the outfitters and general private land.... not much different than deer hunting here in western Ky being access isn't as easy as one might think.

For everything...and I mean everything.... outfitter fees, processing, food, travel and including taxidermy as I had her bull mounted ..... in 2013 I spent around $4,000 total.

Which in my opinion was worth every penny.... these tags are too dang hard to come by not to do it right the first time....as you may never have another opportunity at a Ky bull elk.

BFABF555-8F14-47E7-85DF-127C102307BC.jpeg
    2FAFA7AA-9E66-459A-9449-5551E42D1C54.jpeg

Monster01 and elkaholic like this.
  5. hoene

hoene Spike

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    I have been drawn twice. Cow archery first tag, killed it on my own. The second was a archery bull, hired a guide and killed on the second day. If i was ever drawn again I would find a place to hunt and hunt the first few days on my own and if I didn't kill I would call a guide. Most guides are done after the first couple days.

Monster01 likes this.
  6. gds

gds 6 pointer

Jan 2, 2005
    NORTHERN KY.
    My son was drawn for a cow firearm tag , living four hours away and not knowing anybody in the area I reached out to the KDF&W. Gabe Jenkins was kind enough to find him a place to hunt on some coal company land. I spent many weekends scouting for my son (who had to work every weekend ). He was successful the first day . The next year my son was drawn for a bull rifle tag (lucky dog ) . Same deal , I contacted Gabe and he helped us out again . I spent many weekends driving back and forth scouting for my son . He was lucky again , got a big 6x6 . To make a long story short, if you don't have a lot of time , hire a guide. You may never get this chance again , these elk cover a lot more ground than a deer and you need somebody that can stay in contact with them . Good luck and enjoy the hunt of a Ky boys lifetime .

Monster01 likes this.
  7. Monster01

Monster01 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2013
    Wow nice bull ! Thanks for a great response ive heard good things about lmo

8. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We used Lost Mountain last year when he husband drew a bull tag. We'll be using them again this year with my cow tag.

We had a very enjoyable experience with them... It was also our honeymoon last year.

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 9:24 AM