Green beans food plot

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by cedar creek, Jun 10, 2018.

1. cedar creek

cedar creek 8 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    For you diehard budget buck hunters I would recommend tilling a spot and planting green beans , they burned my garden up ate them all down to the ground lol, green beans cheap to buy and easy to grow

2. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    Hmmmmm.....thats an idea right there!!!! thanks for sharing!!

3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Deer like them even better if you plant the green beans, etc. with intentions of making a mortgage payment with the profit from the crop.

4. cedar creek

cedar creek 8 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Ha ha ha, crop insurance fraud never happens what you talking about lol, these were bush beans in my vegetable garden getting ate up by the backyard does

barney likes this.
  5. cedar creek

cedar creek 8 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    I love hunting over soybeans in the September early seson, farmers get all upset but the deer only eat the edges, they don’t destroy like they tell everyone

6. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    Deer do love beans - but their is nothing "budget" minded about it.

Pound of beans at store is $1

Bag of seed soybeans is $35 for 50 pounds

Bushel (60 pounds) of bin run soybeans from local farmer is $10-15

7. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    How far out does the "edge" go?

Walk a 50 acre field in a grid pattern. Deer will eat up far more than the edges of soybeans. The edges might have more damage overall, but they'll eat off the whole field.

ddwhitetails, barney and bondhu like this.
  8. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I've seen nearly every top eat off of the 13 acres I hunt yearly. Sure it starts on the outside edges but as time progresses, every top eaten off. I'm guessing that is detrimental to the growth of the beans and hence the reason farmers complain. Like others here, beans is a go to for me in September.

9. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I like the idea, I wonder if they would have enough time to grow or would get picked off when they were only a couple inches tall, couldn't hurt anything I might do experiment, and as far my beanfields on the farm I still average at least 65 bushel/acre, I had 80 bushel beans one year and the deer were thick I'm not saying they don't destroy anything but not noticeable in my overall Yields at least in my area

10. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    It's hard to estimate what damage deer do to the yield. I know years back Indiana tried to do a study on how much they affected yield per acre on various crops. A various number of factors contribute to it I suppose, but one thing that's hard to pin down is what the yield would have been without deer present. Without high fencing off half a field and doing a comparison, its hard to say.

I do know my dad and uncle, with the new combine that figures bushels per acre AS you're harvesting see a drop in yield around the edges, even on edges that don't have trees to sap the light and moisture, but enough cover for deer to travel.

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I overheard an ag teacher tell a student once that deer didn't hurt sweet potatoes by eating the vines, because the crop was underground and untouched. He went on to tell the kid repeated browsing by deer would actually make better potatoes because the plant would put all its energy in potato production instead of the vines. I wanted to march across the room and slap his ag degree out of his face!

bondhu and Feedman like this.
  12. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    we tried beans and corn for two yrs,deer mowed it off soon as it got 3 or 4 inches tall.We
    just stuck with winter wheat after that,they mowed it to the ground. It kept coming back up though
    and deer love it.

DH13 and beauhunter41031 like this.
  13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    All woods no fields, can’t relate to anything said here. Y’all make it sound almost too easy for us who struggle to see deer some outings. I will say, I had heard deer didn’t like tomatoes due to the acidity but a friend showed me deer eating his hanging tomatoes as fast as he could grow them and they went straight for the tomato, not the vine.

14. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    And for every scientific study, there's another that completely "proves" the opposite to be true.

http://ohiojournalofscience.org/article/viewFile/4750/4110

I don't know which is correct. The Ohio study claims a 74% increase in yield of the caged plants.

I'm guessing part of the difference is the region of the country, and possibly the type of bean that's planted. I will say from experience growing up in the Midwest around soybeans, the yield was different depending on what type of bean was planted in what field. It's very possible the type of bean studied in Mississippi responded better browsing than the type in Ohio. Also keep in mind that Ohio's growing season is weeks shorter than in Mississippi.

I'll also say this. No bean is going to yield higher when it's mowed off to the ground by deer.

rlb165, barney and bondhu like this.