Gettin back in!

Discussion in 'Coon Hunting' started by LSOSGT1109, Apr 25, 2015.

1. LSOSGT1109

LSOSGT1109 10 pointer

Jul 22, 2012
    Laurel County
    Well guys, after being out of coon hunting for over 20 years, I'm getting back in! When I was in high school I hunted every night, literally almost every night for years. I had a pretty dang good pair of female redbones. I loved it more than any other type of hunting and that says a lot cause I live for deer season. I got out of it cause I didn't really have much time for it once I started working and going to college and the other normal stuff that college age boys do.

Well the other day me and a buddy I work with started talking about how much we miss coon hunting so we decided to do something about it! I'm picking up an 8 month old X-bred male ( redbone/English cross ) that's lightly started and my buddy is getting a 14 month old bluetick female that's already treeing her own coon. He also has a 12 year old walker female that we are hoping still has a little training left in her. Some stuff has changed in the last 20 years, this whole X-bred thing was something I had never heard of and was really surprised they can be registered. This male that I'm getting is UKC and PKC registered.

Now I've gotta get a new light, dog box, tracking system, and training collar! My wife is gonna kill me! Lol. I'm as excited as a fat kid on a chocolate cake! I'll post a pic of him as soon as I update tapatalk so it will let me upload a pic.

2. LSOSGT1109

LSOSGT1109 10 pointer

Jul 22, 2012
    Laurel County
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of him. Can't wait to get him Monday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. truckerman

truckerman Spike

Jan 20, 2008
    Hardin Springs,Ky
  4. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Went coon hunting once and vowed to never go again....and haven't.

However, I must admit I envy your passion for it and wish you the best of luck! That's how I feel about rabbit hunting again.

Btw.....don't worry about others on here giving you grief as it's not popular on here.

5. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    How'd the ol x-bred turn out? I'd love to get back into it. My story is the same done it in high school every night. Now with kids and a job just don't have time. Hoping when the youngins get big enough I can get them interested in going and that'll get me back in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

6. LSOSGT1109

LSOSGT1109 10 pointer

Jul 22, 2012
    Laurel County
    He's a coon treeing machine! I let my buddy talk me into selling him to him but I regret it. I've got a 3 year old redbone male that I really like but I wish I'd kept that x-bred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    That sucks lol sounds like you should have kept em

8. Mountain_Moose

Mountain_Moose Fawn

Dec 15, 2015
    Good luck, brother! I'm still a relatively young man (29) but those late nights don't treat me as well as they used to. I stick to the birds (grouse, quail, turkey) but I've always enjoyed watching a good gun dog go to work!

John W. Hall lodge #950

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  9. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    Good luck! I'm still trying to convince the little lady that the addition of a coon hound would really be something. All I get is eye rolls. I'm just waiting until my son gets old enough then I can use him. She has a hard time saying no to him. She finds it very easy to say no to me. Lol.

10. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    That's a woman for ya