Ft Knox changes turn people away?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by moose1750, Sep 12, 2017.

1. moose1750

moose1750 Fawn

Dec 15, 2004
    manchester ky.
    Did the new changes keep anyone from applying this year? I have been going for the last ten years with two different groups, one for Archery and another for the gun hunt and none of us applied this year.

2. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

I have some friends that said they were done.

3. Shedhunter4011

Shedhunter4011 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2009
    Up a Tree
    Not sure why it would. By going to an online system you would think it would make things much easier to hunt here.

4. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    It is a much better system, for all that turn away new hunters will come. No longer do you have to make the extra trip to wait in line and sign in. You can do it all from your home.

5. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    Something i was thinkkng about today after looking at the available areas. A civilian pays $30 tp bow hunt one weekend prior to the gun season. If you get drawn for this weekend, you will have very limited choices to hunt if there are slots still available. Not sure that I would spend $30 for 1 weekend with the chance of limited areas. This online system does make it convenient, that is until your out in the Mount Eden area with no phone signal.

6. Strut 'N' Buck

Strut 'N' Buck 8 pointer

Apr 16, 2011
    Shepherdsville, KY
    The archery hunt for my group isn't so much just for that one weekend. We can hunt Monday-Friday. And it was a pain in the arse to drive down to hunt control a few days ahead of time to hunt. Where as now I can get on my phone, check in a area and when I'm done hunting, check out. Hassle free and convienent. And, if I kill one, check it in on my phone as well. The new system may have some bumps along the way this year being it's the first year but I can already tell a huge difference from the old system and for the better. I hope it turns a lot of people away. That way I can get drawn everytime!

7. At Full Draw

At Full Draw Fawn

Sep 13, 2016
    Most of the changes were good and ultimately will make the process easier. I live within 25 minutes so I can still hunt during the week but not all off my group lives that close. Most did not want to hunt after the way the draw went. We always had good weekends in late Oct/early Nov and it made it a fun trip. I don't like the new draw system for weekends because I'm limited to a few weekends I can hunt and was drawn near the very end this year. I almost had to pick weekends I couldn't hunt just to ensure being drawn.
    I believe the hunter numbers will be down without a doubt.

8. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    I did not apply to Fort Knox this year :(

The iSportsman system is not the issue...for me it is the weapon's registration system that must be done in person on Base...I live three hours away and generally do not make any trips in that general direction...I did not actually mind registering my shotgun with the Provost Marshal's Office, but to ask me to make a three hour trip just for that one piece of paper is a bit much...

I really love hunting Fort Knox...however for a civilian, it "feels" like I was not really welcome from a policy situation, though the personnel were nearly always friendly...

Instead I will be spending my $$$ in a different location than Knox/Radcliffe...probably Peabody unless a better option becomes available (especially with EHD in the eastern part of KY)...

9. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I finally figured it out. Maybe. They don't give you a lot of direction or notification on when to apply for hunts or even how to register youth hunters. I trust that eventually it will be better and more convenient but like most things, people hate change.

The instructions could be better and they should leave the application process open for those that don't care to check their account constantly.

10. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    Tier 4 always got one weekend the new system didn't change that.

11. At Full Draw

At Full Draw Fawn

Sep 13, 2016
    I am tier 4 so I'm very aware of that. I've hunted there for about 17 years. I like the isportsman change except for the new process of weekend application. I am restricted to only being able to hunt about 3 or 4 the available ft knox weekends. I knew with the old process I was guaranteed to get drawn for a weekend I can hunt. With the new process, if I didn't get selected one of the weekends I was available to hunt I wasn't for sure if I would be able to hunt during the week. The selection process was my complaint.

12. Strut 'N' Buck

Strut 'N' Buck 8 pointer

Apr 16, 2011
    Shepherdsville, KY
    The directions are pretty self explanatory. Getting people to read them and follow them is a different story..

13. cedar creek

cedar creek 8 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    I don't know jack about ft Knox I put in for the Nov bow hunt and got it, hopefully I can fiqure it out and have some fun, hope to hunt the area by Joe Prather be closer to home and won't have to mess around on the main base to much

14. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Yeh, i'd say that plays a part in it too. Its just different. I will figure it out.

15. Strut 'N' Buck

Strut 'N' Buck 8 pointer

Apr 16, 2011
    Shepherdsville, KY
    I'm not referring to you. I've had several phone calls on what to do. I read everything on the website and it tells you exactly what to do. New this year as well, once you're drawn for the gun hunt, you do the gun registration on the website too. Simple and VERY hassle free. Takes 5-10 mins. Can't get much easier than that