From the tradbow perch

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Carpdaddy, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    IMG_4758.jpg I know there are a few other tradbow hunters on here, how about some views from your perch. Your set up, success, or stand.

2. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I haven't been yet....

3. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    I'm getting views of everything but deer from my stands. Yesterday was hound day, one Walker hound came by and I heard more running. IMG_4805.jpg

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    This is one of my favorite early season stands .. it's been good to me over many years. Which I've killed 1-buck with this longbow, 3-bucks with compound and 1-buck & 1-doe with crossbow ..all out of this stand.

If you see the opening as you look left of my arrow in the pic... 3 different trails intersect at this point.

It's not as thick as it looks ... as to my right is field and food plot. But my best lane is that opening and have a cedar blocking a lot of my movement.
    IMG_1608.JPG

5. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Took the unfinished bow out this evening and tried to introduce it to a deer. The deer were uncooperative!
    IMG_4886.jpg

6. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    That's me yesterday evening practice drawing and aiming. Had the little spike walking all around under me.
    IMG_4922.jpg IMG_4923.jpg

7. grinder

grinder 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    Not been yet. Missed out on so much shooting practice this summer that I would not feel right drawing on one. Grandson kept me fishing, and ball games. A cool snap should put me in the mood. Better practice !

8. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    I don't have a "from the tree" picture but I have to say that hunting in Hurricane Erma last night proved beneficial. Recurve Doe 2017.JPG

Gooch, bondhu and nock like this.
  9. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Wow Jman congratulations!!
    Upon close inspection I could not find a spot of blood anywhere. I think you spooked the life out of that one with the face paint!! Lol :D
    Just joshing; you did good!

10. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    You earned that one congrats. I like the paint

11. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    All good. :)

8 yard shot. I'm pretty wild past 15 yds so I intentionally set up within 10 yds of a trail intersection (similar to JD above).

There were a lot of deer moving yesterday evening. I'm headed out in a few minutes to a new spot, to give it another try in this light rain.

12. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    Thanks! More to come I hope!

13. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Congrats on the doe!!!

Which I got to tell on myself and it involves the pic I posted above and the very 15yd spot I was pointing out.

I was off work last week and didn't have to go back to this past Tuesday. I knew this spot was getting a lot of buck activity from pics... so I hunted it harder than I normally would. Saw a lot of does and a few small bucks but nothing worth shooting out of 4 days hunting that stand.

This past Monday afternoon.. last chance to get an evening hunt in before heading back to work. Got up in this stand and it was deer central.. which it was just as the hurricane remnants were moving in. Had a cool feel to the air and just enough wind / breezes that wasn't annoying. Deer moved early & all evening.

About 5:10... had this buck stroll into that opening in the pic above. Which when he came in he was nervous as all get out, which he wasn't getting wind of me but the wind in general made him a little squirrelly. He was head bobbing... just jerking around ever time a leaf, limb or acorn would fall.

He finally settled down and started nosing around in the leaves. I got on him and drawn... intently focused at the crease behind the shoulder.

I let go..... and so help me this buck dropped plumb on his knees at the shot. The freakin shaft literally glanced off his back and sailed to Lord knows where.. I never found it. Didn't even knock a hair off this deer.... he wheeled around like his butt was on fire. Ran out into our food plot and stopped ... stood for a moment and started feeding again.

I've been a tad sick and disappointed in myself since... which I've missed my share of deer over the years but this was a 15 yd .. should have been a lay up shot and I blew it. Which I may have dropped my bow arm a little but I don't ever remember having a deer duck a shot to that magnitude.

Which the good thing... he's alive and well..... and eventually I'll get over it... lol.

IMG_1633.JPG

bondhu likes this.
  14. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Don't beat yourself up over it JD, happens even to the compound bow guys sometimes. If you hunt much it is bound to happen, alert deer are quick. I have discovered that I am even capable of missing with a gun!

15. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Oh.. I've definitely had my share of misses with bow and a few with a gun too. But there's a few of those that just etch in your brain... this is one of those for me. Which I think the closer you are... the memory is more vivid... lol.

Which not that this was a booner buck .. but one I'd been more than tickled to get with a long bow.

Also will say .. last year spoiled me.