Fort Knox (Changes)

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by II RiNgEyE II, May 31, 2017.

1. II RiNgEyE II

II RiNgEyE II 6 pointer

Nov 4, 2009
    Brindle Ridge, KY
    Has anyone heard about the proposed changes they were talking about in the fall?

2. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

What changes? You talking about Isportsman system thats been in affect since April?

3. bah1286

bah1286 6 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    I have never hunted Knox before. Is it to late to get in on a fall hunt this year?

4. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Nelson County
    Applications are in August. You're good

5. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    So guys tell me about Fort Knox. Is it a lot of trouble/hassle to bowhunt there (like Ft Campbell for example)? It would be about a 2 hour drive for me. Is it worth it for a chance at a second buck if I were to get lucky enough to tag out early in state? I know about the QDMA they've had in place and I have seen that there are quite a few nice bucks coming out of there but what caliber of deer are we really talking about there? Are there a decent number of 4+ year old bucks on the place or are most of the 3 year olds still getting sniped because they meet the 12" min spread requirement? I'm not going to go up there and shoot a deer that I wouldn't shoot on my own places just because it is public land and is a bonus buck.

Next question is... is it hard to bowhunt up there on weekends without bumping dicks with another hunter around every corner?

Any insight would be appreciated.

6. II RiNgEyE II

II RiNgEyE II 6 pointer

Nov 4, 2009
    Brindle Ridge, KY

I guess, I was talking about the changes they were talking about last fall.

7. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    Nm about my Fort Knox questions. I finally noticed the pinned thread with all of the info (derp). I also went to the FN hunting website and looked at the photo gallery. Obviously there are some phenomenal deer at Fort Knox but it looks like the place is predominantly set up for gun hunting success which I have no interest in. Sounds like I could put in for the mid November gun hunt and then take my bow if I get a good area but the likelihood of getting drawn for an area that is any good AND that I have had time to scout seems pretty remote. I think I'll just leave it alone and let the folks who are already enjoying it have at it without me in their way. Good luck to anyone who gets in there this coming year.

8. slowjimbo

slowjimbo 6 pointer

Nov 4, 2003
    Deviltown
    Think this is what you were asking about: