Fly Fishing in KY

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by JG26_Irish, May 10, 2017.

1. I've been fly fishing near home here in KY this year. So far, I been to Laurel Creek, Big Caney, Licking River on the Cave run Tail Waters, Grayson Lake Tail waters. Catching a few trout, a bunch of blue gill. Wondering where the best places for trout on a fly might be? Wolf Creek on the Cumberland tail waters? Red River Gorge? Others?

Does anybody know where Dept of Fish & Wildlife or National Forrest Svc stock Tripplett and North Fork of Tripplett? I would like to fish it somewhere down stream of the stock point but do not know where or when that takes place. We did another trip to the Smokies and the Little Pidgeon River and Little River.

Irish

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    In Ky most are going to say Cumberland/Wolf Creek Dam.

3. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    The new trout stream they put in at the dam, the river below the dam on Cumberland, and I have heard Rock Creek in McCreary has some decent numbers.

4. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    For year-round trout fishing the Cumberland below the dam and hatchery creek.

Just about any creek you can wade will hold bass and pan fish.

Most folks throw poppers and bugs for bass but give streamers and crawdad imitators a try.

I'm heading to Tennessee to fish in a few weeks. I cant decide if I want to fish the park or a tail-water. I do love the SoHo in May.

5. We did the Smokies Park but we only had two days to fish. The fish are wild, (no stockers) and my wife caught a little 6" Brookie that blew here away.

6. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Those brookies are awesome. There's nothing better than doing a little bush whacking in the park and catching wild trout. I've also caught some nice trout in Gatlinburg city limits. They stock the city once a week. North Carolina side has some good fishing too above Cherokee.

7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    If you're going Tn get off the Sweetwater exit and head left toward NC and fish Tellico and Upper Hiwassee.

8. Tellico is on my hit list. I am too old and beat up to do too much back country hiking but I want to hit the ones I can get to. We are planning to go to WV this weekend to do some work on the Cranberry, the Elk and a few other hot spots.

9. I fished about 3hrs on Laurel Gorge last Thurs and landed this little fella. He went airborne 5 times as I reeled him in. Was fishing a black mayfly nymph.

Irish

Attached Files: