Flint/Chert Nodules in Kentucky....Where are you finding them?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by KYBOY, Mar 19, 2012.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Hey guys..Well we live in Floyd county..Ive checked several geological maps/surveys etc and it seems the closest natural source of flint may be in the cave run area?? We have been ordering our flint nodules from the big auction site..Its not that high but id really rather find my own..Anyone help me out? Point me in the right direction? Thanks..

2. RVtech24

RVtech24 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    The Deep Woods
    Are you a flint knapper? Hardin county has a bunch. Give me a hollar if you're in the area.

Silentwolf294 likes this.
  3. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    My yard is full of flint. The knob behind my house where I hunt, is covered. It is called Flint Knob by the way. Most of it is just pieces and the bigger ones are full of freeze cracks. Every once in a while I find a good chunk. This is Barren county BTW.

4. jamesw

jamesw 6 pointer

Mar 23, 2011
    seky
    I dont know where you live or how far you are willing to drive but certain places around lake cumberland is loaded with it. Ive seen a few different types laying around but hornstone is very plentiful.

5. jayder85

jayder85 10 pointer

Get up close to Carter County and you will get into good flint I know for a fact. I find it all over up there.

6. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Thanks guys, sorry for the late response..For soe reason i forgot about thsi thread..I dont really knap but id love to try..I knap off pieces for Lisa's Flint & Steel kits she sells..I find even that is addictive..Im finally getting to where I can knap off decent sized flakes with some regularity...Unfortunatly I dont live vey close to you guys but if someone wants to sell me a USPS flat rate box full sometime give me a hollar..Thanks

7. Kyhoney01

Kyhoney01 Fawn

Oct 21, 2016
    I need some good resources for flint. Any of you folks still available to help me out? I'm in Louisville.

8. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    The Blue River in Indiana is full of flint nodules. It's right across the Ohio from Louisville.

9. Kyhoney01

Kyhoney01 Fawn

Oct 21, 2016
  10. I live just north of Cave run and do not recall seeing much Flint there but I usually only hunt the Rowan side of the lake. Not sure about the rest of the area. It is a big place. However, The area just South of Mt Sterling is full of it. That is Montgomery Co.

Irish

11. Shawn durden

Shawn durden Fawn

Jan 8, 2017
    Hello everyone I am staying just outside owensboro kentucky I am a flint knapper and I really enjoy collecting good flint and material from the different places that I work. But I don't have any idea were to look or who to talk to. Was hoping someone might know or even have land that I could find some good workable material on. And help or directions would be very appreciated. If you would Rather get ahold of me threw my email it is sd821928@gmail.com thank again

12. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    I grew up close to cave run. There's a lot of flint in that area.

13. Shawn durden

Shawn durden Fawn

Jan 8, 2017
  14. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
  15. Silentwolf294

Silentwolf294 Fawn

Oct 16, 2018
    Athens GA
    I'm actually in Louisville till Sunday from georgia and would love to get a load of flint for an upcoming video ob youtube as well as for bushcraft if this offer is open to anyone...