Fishing License for 65 year old plus...I'm confused

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by EC, Jun 21, 2018.

1. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Used to be you didn't need a fishing license if you were 65 or older. I wanted to take my dad out fishing and he has no license. But I wanted to make sure. Thus began my "trip to confusion" land.
    =======
    When I check the KDFW booklet requiring fishing licenses for 65 year olds, there's no reference to the question at all.

However, there's a listing that specifies:

Senior/Disabled Sportsman's* (Includes same license and permits as Resident Sportsman's License, plus additional deer permits.) and the cost is $12.
    https://fw.ky.gov/Licenses/Pages/Fees.aspx
    ======
    The booklet provides no further detail on this subject in the section entitled, "Resident Senior and Disability Licenses" which merely states:
    Kentucky residents 65 years of age or older. Seniors need only show proof of age and residency to purchase this license."
    https://fw.ky.gov/Licenses/Pages/Resident-Senior-and-Disabled-Licenses.aspx

To add to the confusion--is this $12 "Senior Sportsman's license" a one time fee and good for life? KRS 150.175 certainly implies it does. However, again, the KDFW booklet is vague on this or completely fails to address this.
    =======

To add even more to the confusion, a KDFW booklet states, "RESIDENT SENIOR AND DISABLED LICENSES
    The following are eligible to purchase the $5 Senior or Disabled Combination Hunting and Fishing License (which includes the same license and permits as the Resident Sportsman’s License, plus additional deer permits):

• Kentucky residents 65 years of age or older.
    https://fw.ky.gov/FishBoatGuide/Pages/Fishing-Regulations.aspx

So is it $12 or frickin' $5??
    ==========
    I don't think my dad will ever be able to hunt again, but he can fish some...maybe.

150.175 Kinds of licenses and tags--Multiyear licenses or permits.

(25)
    A senior combination hunting and fishing license, which authorizes the holder to
    perform all acts valid under a sport fishing license, a sport hunting license, or a state
    permit to take deer, turkey, trout, waterfowl, or migratory shore or upland game
    birds, and which shall be available to a Kentucky resident who is sixty-five (65)
    years of age or older. The senior combination license shall not be valid unless the holder carries proof of residency and proof of age, as the department may require by administrative
    regulation, on his or her person while performing an act authorized by the license;
    (26)
    A senior lifetime combination hunting and fishing license, which remains valid
    until the death of the holder and authorizes the holder to perform all acts valid under
    a sport fishing license, a sport hunting license, and a state permit to take deer,
    turkey, trout, waterfowl, and migratory shore and upland game birds, and which
    shall be available to a Kentucky resident who is sixty-five (65) years of age or older....
    ==============

The KDFW implies all licenses are renewal by March 1. However the Kentucky Revised Statue specifies lifetime. So do you have to renew the Senior license?? Typical cluster F....

It's a little bit bloody confusing...so you can't just fish at 65 years old or older, you have to get the "Senior Lifetime Combination Hunting and Fishing" license? I doubt if my Dad would go for that at all. He was adamant he didn't need a fishing license being over 65. I'll probably just let this drop and forget the fishing trip...and even if I pay for it, which I would, this will really piss him off.

2. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Regular Senior license is per year not lifetime. 65 plus or disabled qualify.
    They just raised the cost from $5 to $12. The price increase went into effect March 1st this year. Myself along with a lot of others bought our 2018/2019 senior license in Jan and Feb when they still were $5.
    No special fishing only license for seniors, just the senior license that covers everything except Elk draw and license, Bear license and federal waterfowl stamp.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  3. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Thanks. That's what I thought, but the booklets are clear as mud. I hate those sloppy, half assed and vaguely written laws.

And the annual renewal sure sounds like a violation of the Kentucky Revised Statues, section (26) and implies lifetime licensure for one over 65. I doubt for 12 bucks anyone will challenge it in court...which could be what they're hoping. Unless it is some retired lawyer who ascribes it as "it is the principle of the thing".

KRS:
    until the death of the holder and authorizes the holder to perform all acts valid under a sport fishing license, (etc)...

4. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I have not heard of the lifetime license for seniors where did you find this ? Could it be something in the past they have not done away with in print ?

until the death of the holder and authorizes the holder to perform all acts valid under
    a sport fishing license, a sport hunting license, and a state permit to take deer,
    turkey, trout, waterfowl, and migratory shore and upland game birds, and which
    shall be available to a Kentucky resident who is sixty-five (65) years of age or older

5. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.

Kentucky Revised Statues (2013). Chapter 150.

KRS 150.175 Kinds of licenses and tags--Multiyear licenses or permits

(26)
    until the death of the holder
    and authorizes the holder to perform all acts valid under a sport fishing license, a sport hunting license, and a state permit to take deer, turkey, trout, waterfowl, and migratory shore and upland game birds, and which shall be available to a Kentucky resident who is sixty-five (65) years of age or older;
    http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=42125

Also found here: https://law.justia.com/codes/kentucky/2013/chapter-150/section-150.175/

6. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    How much does this senior lifetime license cost?

7. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I can find nothing on it...despite the fact this has been in the KRS since 2013. I'm wondering if it isn't $12 senior combo license listed in the KDFW booklet, but it is clear as mud. Just half assed.

I've been tempted to call KDFW but figure they won't even know what I'm talking about. Which isn't surprising...based on my 1/4 century experience working in government contracting.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    JR PORTER likes this.
  8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

That's what I ment, I searched and can't find anything in the book or online about a lifetime license.

9. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I might be wrong on this but I believe,there use to be a senior license,for after sixty five,seems like my dad had one.I’m thinking maybe just small game and fishing ,but I could be wrong.

10. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

No your not wrong, senior license is the same as Sportsman license and still available. Covers everything but Elk draw and tag's, bear tag and federal waterfowl stamp. It used to be $5 but as of March 1st this year they raised the price to $12.00. Some of us jumped on the band wagon and bought our 2018/2019 license during Jan and Feb before the price went up and got them for $5. With Muhlenberg county going to zone one I can wage war on antlerless deer around my place and not have to buy bonus tags. Not that I would wage war but if the food bank program is still up and running I may take more than in years past.

11. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    That’s not what I’m saying ,I know about the five dollar senior license,I too bought before it went up this year.I’m thinking back more toward the seventies.

12. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Got ya.....I was not in Ky from 1971 until 2001 as a resident. I know several states had or have lifetime license but also some dropped them. They got to doing the math and figured out how much money they were losing each year. Maybe Ky was one of them.

13. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "

Dark Cloud .. your correct.

Up until KDF&WR’s imposed a fee on senior license they were free lifetime license. Which the $5 ... that’s now $12 now has not really been in effect that long. Which I’m not certain but the fee came about maybe 10 years ago more or less.

Prior to that... at 65 it was proof of age or go to a county clerks office and they issued a card.

Below is a pic... not a good one .. of my grandfathers lifetime hunting & fishing license. He passed away in the early 80’s and was one of the things my grandma gave me that was his.

F99710E3-E423-44C7-B269-5F5D7C585713.jpeg

14. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Thanks JD I was about ninety nine percent sure on this,I was going to look for my dads just haven’t yet.I know it was a big deal, for these old men to get that free license,something they looked forward to getting .

TripleGee likes this.
  15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Here's my uncle's free license from 1990.
    [​IMG]

Dark Cloud likes this.