First time setup Q&A

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by crocodilerunge, Oct 14, 2016.

1. crocodilerunge

crocodilerunge Fawn

Nov 10, 2014
    I got my first bow, a Bear Cruzer. I plan on starting at a 50# draw weight and slowly increasing as I learn shooting form and build muscle memory. The only thing remaining I have left to purchase is arrows; probably getting Gold Tip Hunters. I've read the spine chart, and there's a difference in what I should be shooting between my starting draw weight and my hopeful eventual draw of 70#. Is it safe to shoot the 70# spines at 50# while I learn, or should I double my spending and get 6 of each? Also, practicing once a day, do you think I could have the skill and confidence to harvest a deer 20 yards and in before the end of January? Thanks y'all

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    Brandon Helmig likes this.
  2. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I say get a dozen of the lesser spined arrows and start shooting. You may find your bow will shoot very well at <60 pounds, will kill easily at that weight. I'm drawing 58# and passed through a cow elk at 57 yards. Make sure your practice is focused on good form to start. Accuracy and precision will come with proper form. You should have no problem getting good enough to hunt this season.

Good luck!