First Duck Hole Purchase

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by jtcain02, May 14, 2019.

1. jtcain02

jtcain02 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2011
    Looking at buying my first duck hole in WKY. It's mainly slough/backwater from a creek. What is one thing that you look for when looking for a property? Obviously ducks would be a plus...

I'd like to be able to plant more food in the area.

Would it be crazy to have a biologist look at the property with me?

2. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    If you go to the county extension office in that county, they will provide you with soil maps. Only certain soils are suitable for holding water long term.
    If you already know the property, then you know how it holds. But if you don't know it, don't assume it holds good just because it's wet in the spring. Everything is wet in the spring.

jtcain02 likes this.
  3. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Do some major research. As mentioned, not all wetlands are good duck habitat.

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  4. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    Bottom going to fall out in the next 5 years when everyone is in the red because they can’t plant the yella call no mo

KDT

5. jtcain02

jtcain02 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2011
    I've noticed in the last 2 years much more land for sale. Especially this year after the whopper season we had this past winter. I'm looking for some thing to do moist soil management on. Not really looking for row crop. My concern with this property is how manageable are the water levels, or how manageable could they be.