FINALLY!! Bought my own farm. Need barn advice

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by invasion36, Mar 8, 2019.

1. invasion36

invasion36 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2013
    Kenton Co
    Well long story short it took me and my wife 19 years but we finally were able to achieve a dream. We bought a small 40acre farm (guess I should say land) up here in nky. Right now it will be used for hunting/recreational but plan on building in 3 years. I am going to put a barn on it this summer and was wanting to get some info on pole barns from the ones who have built themselves. Where did you get your kits from. Did you pour concrete before or after barn was built? Any info would be helpful. I’ve been looking all over the net for pole barn kits and can’t decide whether to go with wood frame or metal. I do know that 30x40 is about the size I want to go with.

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Congrats! I’d love to have my own land.

invasion36 likes this.
  3. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    CONGRATS on the farm. Took me about 25 years to buy a farm. As for barn go METAL easier up keep than wood. Don't know which company to use tho. Concrete after it us up.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  4. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    Depends on current price but I would definitely go with metal, a metal barn may not look as cool (some think) but it's going to be there a while and not rot or have termite issues, and definitely do a concrete floor.. I would do the slab myself they are not cheap if you pay someone to do it, just priced a slab $4000 .. If you get a metal building they will deliver and set up free , make sure slab is slightly larger then building footprint.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    invasion36 and Genesis 27:3 like this.
  5. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Build it bigger than you Think you can possibly ever need. It will still be too small when you get to using it. Build a shop room in it with block walls and a metal door. Put twice as many lights in it as you Think you need now. Good Luck, I let someone else do the lifting nowdays.

EdLongshanks, JDMiller and carnivore like this.
  6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Congrats, what county? Really make sure on the size. tractors mowers log splitter, implements, boats, firewood, lunber, atvs, side by side, a shop, trailers, general storage etc, wtc, etc think of all the things you might accumulate over the years.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    invasion36 likes this.
  7. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Above x-2!!!

First .....congrats on the farm....and as mentioned .......build it as big as you can afford to and you will never regret it.

Which around on my end of the state (far west) there's several companies specializing in garages & pole-barn type metal buildings. Which because there are several companies doing it ...seems there's always competition and offering specials on a particular size each month. May be a 30x40 one month and the next is a 40x60. Which you have add-ons like concrete floor, certain door size or additional windows... but overall prices aren't too bad and with the companies its all they do.

In turn......my FIL built a 40x60 a few years ago and added what I call is a "lean-to / porch" roof running full length of one side ...just to park trailers, tractor impliments...ect. Which its the one of the handiest areas a person could have and he just maintains dense grade gravel under it to park the stuff on...and keep the muddy, oil dripping nasty stuff off his concrete floor in the shop. I'll also say he added lights under the roof and needless to say its been a few deer hung up & processed there as well after dark.

invasion36 and bearleft like this.
  8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Are you contemplating Metal to wood siding? Or metal to wood framing?

invasion36 likes this.
  9. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 8 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    This...can never build it too big...or have too many lights or outlets

10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    a big congrats. i'm interested in the barn info also.

invasion36 likes this.
  11. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Congrats on getting land to live your dream out on! Good Luck with it all.

Build it way bigger than you need and put a attic truss in it, even if for more storage. Add lean to's to store equipment attachments etc. I suggest concrete floor and power and water if available or at least stub in with electical conduit sweeps so you can easily add them. I had a Mennonite build my 48x30 with 12' enclosed lean to on the 30 end. They did concrete on the floor as well for the whole thing.

IMG_3713.JPG

I have not dealt with these folk but they build all over KY I understand. This is a very good price Constucted!
    I'm sure they would or could do the crete as well.

IMG_6672.jpg

invasion36 and Junglekat like this.
  12. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 8 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Awesome on the Farm!!! Owning land is empowering. I also need a barn so will be following closely.

invasion36 likes this.
  13. Congrats on the farm.I need a pole barn also

invasion36 likes this.
  14. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    I hope a builder sees this thread. A man could generate a yeast worth of business off you fellers.

15. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Congrats on the farm, as said nothing like owning your own land. And it's not so much about the number of acres but the location of those acres. I am down to 14 now but heaven on earth for critters. But do have sole access to a lot more that joins 6 of that 14.