Fertilizing Trees

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by KYhunter87, Apr 20, 2017.

1. KYhunter87

KYhunter87 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2015
    Farm in Harrison County
    I have pear and apple trees that have been in the ground for two years and chinese chestnuts that have been planted for one year. How much should I fertilize these trees and what kind of fertilizer should I use?

2. CentralKyHunter

CentralKyHunter 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2007
    Throw manure on them!! Great fertilize and help the soil around them. Horse, cow , or chicken

3. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 8 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    I was told to use 19-19-19 on my apple trees, but that is here in FL. They are 2 years old also. I would hit up a nursery and see what they suggest.

4. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    Something to look out for with apple and pear trees is fire blight. Trees that are fertilized and fast growing are especially susceptible to it. It is really bad in my area.

5. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Not sure on the science but I limed my peach and apple trees in spring along with a red solo cup trip 19, then redid the mulch rings. They are doing good. Pretty sure you don't want to fertilize too close to harvest on anything.

6. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I thought just as a general rule, you fertilize trees around thanksgiving with a balanced fertilizer? Not sure if that correct but I'm pretty sure I've heard that.