F&S article on unethical celebrity hunters

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by joelwalters, Jan 1, 2018.

1. joelwalters

joelwalters Spike

Aug 19, 2014
    N. Ky
    If you haven’t read this yet, I would highly recommend it.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/fair...nger-for-fame-and-money-collideand-are-caught

It is important for hunters to police themselves and call these guys out. When high profile figures behave in these ways, it makes us all look bad. I heard one person say that hunting is like his religion and guys like this are taking a leak in the baptismal fountain.

My favorite part in the article talks about the regulations in Wyoming and how it is sad that such basic axioms on hunting ethics have to be printed, such as if you make a mistake, own up to it. These celebrity hunters often have never been held to account and the only way they may feel remorse is if they have a hit to their finances through lost sponsorships.

Feedman likes this.
  2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Thanks for posting that. I think Spook Spann got busted for something illegal

3. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    The horde of today's TV heroes is enough to turn anybody off of hunting, but the everyday population is basically no better. Count among your friends, acquaintances and family that routinely break game laws, people doing things that they openly share with you. Things like group limits on ducks and doves, your brother shooting deer on grandma's tag, or your internet friend showing off the 10 pointer killed by his 5 year old son with a scoped 30-06 in youth season. we all know poeple that are calling turkeys the week before season. I know that while I'm on my pre-season turkey listening sits, I seem to hear a regular chorus of early dawn 12 gauge whumps from a particular neighbor's land. I don't think he's killing moles in the garden.

I know one individual that lost a shotgun and a feeder for shooting turkeys over corn. I asked him if he'd learned his lesson about hunting birds over corn. His answer: "I have. I've found something better; sunflower seeds. Game Warden can't see them on the ground." What do you do with that kind of person?

Maybe I go too deep in things like this. Maybe I think too much. But I think the problem here is that too many men see their manliness defined by how much game they can kill. Ethics and morals are out the window; sheer poundage of meat killed is the goal. These people may be indifferent spouses, poor examples as fathers, and spectacular failures in their careers, but "dammit, he can kill a crapload of deer and turkey every year."They ever-growing infatuation with antlers and beards are part of it too. Nobody wants to be the butt of jokes because he killed a measly 6 point deer, or a jake turkey. No, it's got to be a big mature specimen to prove that he's a big mature man. And if he has to hunt out of season or at night or on posted property, then that is just what he'll have to do.

If we could all magically reset our minds to concentrate on the things that actually matter, nobody would ever measure a tom's beard or a buck's rack ever again. Nobody would ever shoot over his limit of ducks to make up for somebody that didn't get his allotment. Nobody would ever feel compelled to pass up a small buck because the guys at work would make fun of it.

4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Thanks for sharing. I Like what Trust Me above says. I hate to sound like one of those "self-righteous a-hole types" as referenced on here before but when people don't follow those simple laws they are no better IMO. Can't stand when people people start deciding on degrees of right or wrong just because it's convenient for them.

5. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Hunting is filled with s-heals both professional and amateur. Not much we can do about the little guy other than turn him in. Best thing we can do to the TV hunters is to stop buying their crap and watching their shows. If they ain't selling product they ain't working. But then again that's asking an aweful lot of the "public" being as they're doing the same crap.

6. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    We absolutely should ignore the TV hunters that have commercialized the sport. Don't watch their shows and don't buy their crap. We should also do what we can to foster the idea that we can and should hunt within the rules and we can and should harvest the game that we want to take, whether it's a doe or a forkhorn or a jake turkey. We have to stop letting people foist their standards on us.

When the trophy hunters start paying for my licenses and equipment, they start filling my freezer for me, then I'll let them tell me how to use my tags. Until then, they can pound sand.

7. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I don’t watch hunting shows anymore. I’d followed the stuff about that idiot Chris Brackett on Archery Talk. None of these things surprise me in the least as I think most of if not all of these so called hunters do things like this. I wish these shows would just go away. Thanks for posting the article by the way.

8. wv67

wv67 Fawn

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    I agree 100%. Do as the law says hunt the way you want as long as it’s legal and shoot what makes you happy I quit watching shows long ago there is still a couple good ones but I stopped because it’s all about the commercials what to buy what to use hunting isn’t what it used to be I’m thankful I was taught by my grandfather and I passed on what he showed me don’t do the gadgets and I’m a firm believer if it works why change or if it’s not broke why fix it tv hunters don’t impress me never have

9. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I too see the very crap 'trust me' speaks of. In my younger years of learning to hunt I got caught up in the number games of seeing who could kill the most squirrels, rabbits, etc. I'm 44 years old now and my mindset about hunting has changed since my beginnings. Back then I think I loved the hunting experience so much that I was missing the point and I was wanting to kill as many of whatever I could. I have a young man of my own now I'm teaching the sport of hunting to and that its not how many or how big the game u are pursuing is, but just learning how-tos of hunting and the importance of laws that are set for us every year in ky.

Now this Christ bracket dude and all the rest of those Tv idiots have really destroyed our our sports channels. I use to love watching all those shows but have Been hunting shows sober for prolly three years now and have no desire to watch that crap anymore.

barney likes this.
  10. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I think if more hunters knew the history behind conservation and understood the rocky road we travelled to get where we are today that there would be more sportsmen (and women).

For anyone interested in our legacy I’d strongly recommend reading Jim Posewitz books. The two I’ve read so far have been excellent and very digestible - read within a night’s sitting with a good beverage.

11. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Amen to that,when I started looking for some kind of big antlers ,a few years ago,deer hunting is just not fun anymore for me .

barney likes this.
  12. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    One of the very reasons I cant stand most hunting shows now. They should be ambassadors for the sport but give it a black eye instead..
    I can think of one that actually does a good job of promoting the sport to non hunters and champions the cause of public land and that's Steve Rinella. That's a lot more important to me than carbon filled underwear to make my farts smell like fresh earth scent..

BNewNKY46, barney, bondhu and 2 others like this.
  13. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    What's getting all these guilty pleas so easy from all these TV hunters is threat of the Lacey Act. It's an early 20th Century law that makes interstate transport of illegally obtained game animal parts a federal crime. Up until a few years ago, the feds were not enforcing it when it came to TV personalities, but all of a sudden they decided to go after them. With the Lacey Act, you put these bastards in Federal prison. Part of the reason for the Lacey Act was to stop rich businessmen from travelling to some remote part of the country, shooting up the place with the help of a complacent outfitter and then hopping the train back home and leaving he local game officials to sit and spin. All it takes now is a hint that a federal prosecutor is looking into the matter, and these bastids are now copping pleas left and right.

In regards to Nuge and his crimes: It really boiled my bunny. Nuge was a super celebrity on D&DH. I was just a lowly pro-staffer. Twice he went up on charges (as summarized in the article) and the next thing you know, there's these Nuge-noid acolytes logging in and going after all the Ted Nugent naysayers. I personally think Ted Nugent is creep, and my opionions are well known. I started getting harrassed by these Nuge fans. I started getting threats. Online, they called me all sort of things-- going after my patriotism etc. The only way I had to fight it was to hunt these guys down and show that, despite their protestations to the contrary, these were all guys that had hunted with Nugent and been to his ranch and eaten from his grill. Nugent had sent them onto the forums to harass his detractors.

Look, if there are some couch potatos out there that think these TV celebrity hunters are in the right and it was some simple oversight, or messed-up paperwork or a misunderstanding with the outfitter, so be it. These are the same people who think Pro-Wrestling is real. That's why they are home watching this crud. Truth is, when you're into this side of the business you're doing everything you can to get usable, airable footage, and not much else matters. You've got commitments. You've got sponsors. You've got a business to run. You and I have a bum season hunting, and we eat our tags and move on. These guys face bankruptcy if there isn't enough in the can before its set to air. Ted Nugent has only so many minutes of whispered bloviation in his blind before he has to produce a trophy carcass. He can shoot and air so much in front of grill before the cable channel and the sponsors demand blood sacrifice. It is a format that is just begging for game law infractions.

bdbrown66 likes this.
  14. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Shaman,
    I was with you right up until you said that wrestling was fake.

15. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I just watched the videos. I’ve never heard of Brackett. I don’t know what’s more surprising his nonchalance of poaching on the first video or that in the second video I didn’t see a fist come out of nowhere and smoke Brackett in the face when he was cussing the cameraman.