Ever try and grow Peppers from seed

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Duster, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

From peppers you harvest. We were in Lowes couple days ago and wife was looking at plants. I was just there not paying a lot of attention. Seen this gal that work there going over some
    habanero plants that had several nice size orange peppers that had fell off and laying in the pot. I ask what she was going to do with them and she said throw them away. I ask could I have them and she said sure. So now I got half dozen peppers. And I don't eat hot peppers. I want to try and grow some out of the seeds next year. Think that will work or am I wasting my time messing with them. Might even try and start them early under a grow light and see what happens.

2. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    It will work fine, we used to plant the seeds in a tobacco plant bed every year....along with tomatoes and lettuce.

drakeshooter likes this.
  3. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    YES I have. Do it every year. All kinds of Peppers and Tomatoes.

4. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Yes. It is pretty simple to do.

carnivore likes this.
  5. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    I grow cayenne and jalapeño from seeds.

6. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I’ll have a bunch of volunteer peppers come up every year from the ones that fall off. Can’t get easier than that.

7. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    Habenaros are fairly easy to grow, but worthless to me--too hot. I grew some once and only once. I stuck my tongue to the cut end of one. My tongue rolled up like a window shade out of control. Then my hair fell out.

8. KyHillyBilly

KyHillyBilly 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2013
    How does one save the seed from a harvested pepper?

9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

LOL...that can happen.

10. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Yes they will grow, a friend of mine gave me a dried habanero pepper a few years ago and when spring came I broke it open and got several seeds out of it . I planted them and they came up, transplanted them and had several plants growing and producing plenty of peppers. Only you might want to have on rubber gloves and be sure not to breathe in the dust when you break open the dried pepper it's HOT! Believe me I know!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  11. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Just put it somewhere where it will be dry. Then put it in a plastic zip lock bag.

12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Way before the hot pepper craze started, sometime back in the 80's I acquired some Jamaican Scotch bonnet pepper seed from another seed saver. A friend came by one day to look at my garden and saw the plants with ripening fruits growing and asked what they were. I told him that they were one of the hottest peppers in the world. He asked if I had tried one yet and I told him no. He said they probably aren't even hot, and grabbed one. He cut in half with his pocket knife and smelled it.. then proclaimed, "it don't smell hot, it smells sweet" then without further ado, he slowly and steadily touched the cut pepper half to the tip of his tongue, paused for about 10 seconds, then said it ain't hot. In the same breath, he stuck his tongue out and proceeded to rub the cut side of the pepper vigorously around on it..Then said "see"..

Now, here's the thing he didn't know. Unlike regular old Cayennes, or Jalapeno's, which are members of the Capsicum species annuum, a Scotch bonnet is a member of the species Capsicum chinense, just like the unknown around these parts at that time "Habanero", and contained a compound called "homodihydrocapsaicin".

With this species heat perception is delayed for several seconds after contact, and once it starts it's described as excruciating pain-- not heat! The sensation from this pepper affects the back of the throat, the tongue, and the roof of the mouth with pain that is described as breathtaking, and as harsh, and sharp as capsaicin pain can get.

Within I'd say 30-45 seconds after rubbing his tongue with that Scotch bonnet, my friend was in severe distress! He was clutching his throat, gasping for air, and as red as a beet with huge drops of sweat coming from his forehead that would fall to the ground as he stomped the soil while trying to draw breath to scream. I literally mean "trying to scream" as he couldn't get air to his lungs to scream. Within a minute, minute and a half, he was able to breathe, but was still basically speachless other than garbled obscenities. At that point I offered to take him to the hospital, but he declined and managed to get the words water, water, water, out of his mouth before quickly heading to his truck and quickly leaving. The next afternoon, he called to say his mouth was still hurting, and that was the most painful experience he had ever had in his life.

Just a few years ago, I ran into my friend and that horrible day he rubbed the Scotch bonnet on his tongue came up in our conversation. He then stuck his tongue out and showed me what remained of the scar that he said was slowly disappearing as the years passed.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

We were doing a survey job for a local banker. He had a good looking pepper plant growing as part of his landscape. They were small bright red ones. Looked like they started out green then changed to yellow then red. Buddy ask what type are they and banker didn't know and he then ask if they were good to eat and was told yes but be careful not to touch your face until you wash your hands after picking any. Buddy picked a large cup full and put them in the truck. About a hour later we are back on this farm near a mile from the truck and he said we HAVE to go and GO now. I took one look at his face and said you touched your face didn't you. He never answered but darn near ran that mile to get to soap and water at that bankers house. Never did find out what type pepper they were and after seeing the results of him just touching his face I didn't want to. I have yet to find what type pepper they were. Grew in small clumps, turned from green to red. I had a few in a plastic bag but never got a single plant out of them. This year playing around on Amazon I ran across what I thought would be fun to grow. They start out green, turn to orange, to purple then red, grows a large bush over 4 ft tall and near as wide. I bought 25 seeds for a couple bucks just to try. Say they can be grown indoors or out. So I bought a double grow light. Got some peat pots and potting soil ready. Put 3 seeds in each of 6 pots near a month ago and nothing has came up yet. As of now they are sitting in the sun not showing that first hint of green for the last month or so. I will go the grow light route later on and see how that goes. I wanted to transplant them to the 12ft x 12ft flower boxes at the top of the driveway than hang a trail camera watching over them to see if I can get a deer's reaction if they try and sample one. These came from the Solomon Islands and took over two months to get to me. I am just trying to find plants these deer will leave alone without me having to spray Liquid Fence every other day. We did find out deer resistant is not deer proof.....That 12K survey instrument set back in those woods overnight until I went back and picked it up the next morning. Of the years I have been helping him only two times have we left that instrument behind, the other was when I tried to drive a rebar pin into the ground and ended up driving it dead center of a monster size Yellow Jacket nest. I got stung 18 times on my arm's in that deal before I could get away from those little devil's. Boss ask why did you jump up and when I said Yellowjackets he was gone also.