Ever think of driving a long way

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Duster, Jul 11, 2018 at 10:18 PM.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Now that we are retired and have zero debt we been thinking about doing some long distance driving. Wife brought up today about driving to Vegas, staying a few days then driving back. I would just as soon do the drive to Nashville hop on a airplane and be there in a few hours but I or at least the ones with wives know how that goes. Would you rent a car from say enterprise with unlimited miles or drive your own and put that many miles on it. We just rolled over 90K on the Prius and are not ready to buy another at this time. No doubt the Prius would make it there and back but I would want something with more room and a more comfortable ride for that many mile's.
    I did the 1224 mile one way drive a few times up into Canada but each time but one was in my pickup and it was not that bad. That has been my longest drive ever. The one time not in my truck was in the wife's new Thunderbird (yes I took her on a Canada vacation) and my buddy and his son drove his pickup following us and haul most of the gear up and bear meat and gear back.

2. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I’ve been to Vegas twice for work and I wasn’t impressed. I’d rather drive to Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon if I’m headed west. Consider taking a train instead of driving.

I like Savannah. From my place it’s about 10 hours. We stop in Chattanooga for a night then drive in the next day. Charleston is only about an hour or so away.

3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I wish the train still went thru Vegas. We got to ride it once to there to the SHOT show several years ago but the next year they stopped going thru Vegas. We did almost as good a few years ago taking Amtrak to Reno and back but Reno is no Vegas not even close.

4. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Just my opinion on long distance driving and I normally pull between 2500-3000 miles when I’m off, there’s no way would I take a Prius. I drive a crew cab 2500 and it gets cramped after a while.

bearleft likes this.
  5. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I'm not a good long distance driver. Don't have any tolerance for the "journey" nor the idiots that I have to maneuver around to get to the "destination".

That being said, if it were out west or Canada to a destination I want to go to, I'd probably do it.

As for Vegas, I guess I've been there enough with work that it just doesn't impress me anymore. Not a gambler and could care less about shows. I did go to the SHOT show a couple years ago, and it was freakin awesome. Just got back from a two day trip to Reno. Other than driving to Tahoe, which was beautiful, but bumper to bumper traffic the whole way around, Reno is a dump. Plain and simple. The mountains around it are pretty cool, but otherwise it pretty crappy. Just my opinion, and granted, I still look at things through the eyes of that farm kid from Indiana.

Any place else you want to go, shoot me a PM, as I've probably been there at some point for work.

6. gicts

gicts 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2004
    Louisville
    The American Queen portaged in Louisville this week. I'd love to do a riverboat cruise, but it's terribly pricey!

7. JeepComanche

JeepComanche 6 pointer

Feb 8, 2007
    Hopkins Co.
    Wife and daughter wanting to go to NYC, I would like to do the USS Intrepid display. I just googled it yesterday and I’m not sure about it. I make 3 or 4 Gulf Shores trips a year and hate driving. 2 day drive, forget it.

8. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    We've done quite a bit..... Central KY to Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, Salt Lake City (and Bryce, Zion, etc.), Colorado, Boundary Waters, Gulf Coast, central Florida, Pennsylvania, Texas. I prefer driving over flying... I like seeing the scenery, being able to stop along the way, etc. Plus I like having my own car with me. And if possible, my own bed (have an insert camper that goes in the bed of our truck). Just have snacks on board, plan on frequent stops, use the "I don't care if you NEED to go to the bathroom while we're stopped, do it anyway" rule, hope & pray you both like the same music (and take some with you since some areas have limited to no radio service - I think we drove for close to 5 hours once in the Southwest when the only radio stations we could pick up were in Navajo... or maybe Hope...), and know your limits & stick to them. There's no sense killing yourself driving 15 hour days just to arrive at your destination exhausted & cranky. Oh and Trip Advisor can be invaluable in finding reasonable but nice places to stay along the way if you're staying in hotels. We've used it numerous times to check out potential stop overs & have found some really great deals & super nice places to stay while avoiding a lot of brand name cesspools/bug ridden hovels.
    p.s. We hope to be be heading towards Boston in a few months, taking a scenic route up via Niagra Falls & then across to Boston & then back down the Eastern seaboard in hopes of loading up coolers full of seafood on the way home!

9. zone1

zone1 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2011
    Such a hassle to fly. Be there two hours early, go thru all the BS, lose your luggage, wait in line for car rental, deal with all the rude people, store your car, plane is delayed and most times you can be half way there. Now that I am retired and time doesn't matter to me I would rather drive.

Lady Hunter likes this.
  10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I’d like to drive out west someday. We drive to South Florida every year in one day. Been doing it for years. Also have a little girl and two dogs that make the trip. Sometimes 2-3 times per year. We’ve also drove to Waco, TX in a day before. Unlike some people, I am not a night driver. If I try to drive through the night it takes 2-3 days of my trip to recover. We, wife and I, have no issues with a 15-16 hour drive. Get there late, get a goods nights sleep, and roll the next day.

zone1 likes this.
  11. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I used to go anywhere anytime no matter how far.
    Age has changed all that, but we have been going to Louisiana 2 times a year for festivals and food. I am going to miss it this year cause I have to go to DamItaly again to see my new Granddaughter. I hate to fly especially out of the USA, hopefully my son will be back in the USA about a year from now and I will never do it again.

I am flying to Billings Montana next week to go Prairie Dog shooting for a week or 10 days, friend from Michigan has all my equipment all I do Is show up at the airport. Driving through the great plains is not my favorite trip. Been there Done That a lot of trips.
    Carl P. You need to go in my place next year. I'm done.

12. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    The older I get, the less I like to travel. I did a lot when I was younger, but it's not as exciting these days.

13. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Since Vegas became "fancy" and have done away with the 99 cent buffets (and free drinks at the tables), I'll never go back. Good luck getting out of there without paying 25 bucks for a burger and fries.

14. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

I used to drive straight thru to Daytona and Ft. Myers but I doubt I could even do that anymore. I used to drive 18 wheelers but I wouldn't want to try it now. It sucks to be old.:mad:
    damitall.jpg

EC likes this.
  15. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    My younger days could drive all day and night. Now as I got older. I hate driving 5 miles to the store.

Carl, drakeshooter and EC like this.