Ever have a species of fish you wish you had caught ?

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Duster, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I have caught a ton of different species both out of Salt and Fresh water. But never caught a Flounder even after spending over 2 years stationed on the Gulf and fished every chance I got. May have to plan a trip down and try and mark that one off my list.

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Only fish in the state I haven't caught is a musky. But it ain't from lack of trying. I want one, bad. Spent most of the day on Green River Lake looking for one to cooperate. Guess I've targeted them specifically about 30 times now. Fish of 10,000 casts my azz...try 10 million

inchr48, Nock and Capttrae like this.
  3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

They can be tough may have to travel out of state to get one. Just remember that it may just take one more cast than that 10 million. Good luck and keep after them. I sure hope it don't take that many cast to catch a Flounder. Got a good lead on when to come to Florida when they migrate from the bay's out into the gulf. Guy I have been in contact with said last Oct he was catching 100 or more a day and had to throw most back due to limit being 10 per day and a size limit of not less than 12 inches.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  4. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    Flounder can be annoying around that time. Bonefish on a flyrod down in the keys is on my bucket list.

Capttrae likes this.
  5. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    There’s only 3 species left in the gulf I haven’t caught. Tarpon, permit and bonefish. Now that I’m single again I plan to knock those out this summer.
    I’m not trying to brag at all but when you fish 300+ days a year for 10+ years you catch a lot of fish

6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

That you do and I don't take it that way at all. Will be looking for pictures when you knock out those 3. I have caught a lot of fish most Kentucky guys will never catch from spending so many years up on Lake Michigan and on Lake Erie trips. 3 species of salmon were common in one day, Chinook, Coho and Atlantic.

7. mac0492

mac0492 6 pointer

Oct 15, 2013
    Try the Barren River as it wraps around the north end of Bowling Green. My old boss used to go and caught a couple nice ones there.

8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Go fish Green River reservoir in April. You'd have to try to not catch one.

9. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Freshwater fish for me, there’s too many to name. Top would be all species of peacock bass, Muskie, walleye, Northern Pike and Sauger

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  10. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I'm with Meatstick and still trying to knock Musky off my list. Got a couple trips planned this fall. One back to Cave Run and one to Melton Hill where I will hopefully get into one. Caught a little one like 14 inches long on Cave Run last trip when we were taking a break from casting and decided to drop into some brush for crappie. I didn't count it though, too little.

11. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Only one I've ever hooked was while crappie fishing. And it was a good one. 2lb test just wasn't gonna do it, but I tried like hell!

12. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Ive been pretty blessed with Kentucky fish. Ive caught most of them with the exception of musky. Caught a lot of big fish and I know in my heart I threw back the state record green sunfish.. caught a few nice sharks and had a 5' lemon shark destroy my rod which was fun as heck..
    I guess I want to catch a nice musky as far as Ky fish go..The stocked my home lake a few years ago so that's good. The downstream are of my home lake has yielded some nice musky for years but Ive never hooked one as much as Ive fished there

13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

You and me both have caught a monster Green Sunfish then. I caught mine out of a old farm pond some were stocked in years ago. Rod breakers...the best one for me was a sturgeon while fishing the Wolf River up in Wisconsin. That thing was longer than I am tall and I stand 6'3". I had it on the surface and crank down on the drag trying to get it boat side to take a picture and rod broke right in front of the handle. There I stood with a reel and handle watching the rest of the rod sink down the line never to be seen again.