Ethics Question: Should a hit count as a kill?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by kymuskie, Dec 7, 2018 at 11:19 AM.

1. kymuskie

kymuskie Fawn

Dec 2, 2018
    Lexington
    An interesting question was posed on Randy Newberg's Hunt Talk Radio podcast: Should a hunter consider his tag filled if he hits/wounds an animal, but is not able to harvest it? Legally, it obviously does not count against the limit, but should the hunter count it? I'm interested to hear what you guys have to say.

2. INKYHUNTER

INKYHUNTER Cyber-Hunter

Dec 10, 2001
    Bowling Green, KY, USA.
  3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    In some places that is the case. Didn’t uncle ted get in trouble for confusing the section he was in, in Alaska and continued to hunt even though he wounded but did not retrieve a bear or something?

kymuskie and ojibwa62 like this.
  4. kymuskie

kymuskie Fawn

Dec 2, 2018
    Lexington
    Yes, they mentioned Ted getting a ticket for that. It's apparently the law in Alaska regarding black bears.

5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    From an enforcement standpoint, it seems really difficult to make it work. Not to mention the powers that be want more deer kilt not less.

6. kymuskie

kymuskie Fawn

Dec 2, 2018
    Lexington
    No doubt that enforcement would be tough. I'm interested in whether people would/should self-enforce. If you wound an animal that you cannot harvest, should you count that animal against your limit? Would you have a different answer for different species?

7. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Bad idea. How many animals are wounded and recover from the injury? What if you wound a nice buck early in bow season and you see him again later on? You have to let him walk because your buck tag is gone.

xbokilla likes this.
  8. kymuskie

kymuskie Fawn

Dec 2, 2018
    Lexington
    My initial post probably didn't make this clear, but I'm not asking the legal question of what the law should be, but rather the ethical question of whether a person should count that animal against their legal limit. In the scenario you described, where they saw the animal later and verified that it had not died, there would be no ethical issue with killing and harvesting that animal.

9. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    An ethical question about a legality contradicts itself more often than not

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  10. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Not if it is the same deer.

kymuskie likes this.
  11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    i have done just that, called one in without recovering. now both of my deer were does, blood everywhere, in my mind the deer has to be dead but can't find it. now if it was a big buck, and a one buck limit......well its nothing but speculation until the situation arises. not sure what i would dio.

called in one for my young son that we could not find. should have been stepping on it but it never turned up. i discussed it with him, it was his decision to call the doe in.

kymuskie likes this.
  12. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    it would be hard, if not impossible to prove to a game warden that you're in the right, that you only killed one deer but i would try it. tag it with same confirmation number, and hope you are not questioned.

elkaholic and kymuskie like this.
  13. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    That would cause a lot of extra bucks to be killed. No way to confirm to law enforcement that the deer you shoot was the one you shot earlier.

14. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    What if I shoot a deer that is injured but you have already claimed it as tagged? Is it a free deer for me?

Dark Cloud, elkaholic and Meatstick like this.
  15. Munson

Munson 8 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    U want me to punch my tag without meat in the freezer? Im all about ethical kills but c'mon now... it's a deer lol

Dark Cloud and elkaholic like this.