EPA Approved Gas Jugs

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by JR in KY, Feb 26, 2019.

1. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I had to buy some new 5 gallon gas or diesel jugs a while back. Little did i know that in 2009 the EPA mandated a new spillproof nozzle...
    Its spillproof all right, its about impossible to pour it out. Cold weather trying to fanagle with that thing pouring diesel in my tractor.
    I searched YouTube and found a way to disassemble the locking thing where you can actually get the diesel to pour out.
    In the photo you see the black plastic thing you have to saw apart and replace it with a 3/4 id hose. You warm the hose up to slide it on and you dont need a clamp, but i put one on later. You can put a 3/4 rubber stopper in the hose and you are good to go. Man, i hate the EPA. Someone actually makes a kit for this, think it was E,Z Flow or something.
    And you can get a vent port off ebay for about a dollar, drill the handle, and pop it in and you have finished your jug.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  2. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Those new style nozzles stink. I’m not a fan of them. Looks like a good idea to redo those

3. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I bought 2 last year and found out real quick it SUCKS.
    so I took the innerds out of mine and it works fine like that.

4. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Probably a lost cause but I'm gonna hit yard sales this year and try to pick up some of the older metal cans if I can find one. Good luck with that right?

Tman6493 and barney like this.
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    One would figure a used gas can would be cheaply had.. Just wait until you see the prices!

6. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 8 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I have broken every friggin one of those EPA bullshit pieces of junk

EdLongshanks and barney like this.
  7. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    I bet! Folks know what they got there right?
    May have to pay their price if they'll throw in say a kid for free. Ha!

barney likes this.
  8. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 8 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Those new jugs suck. Ive cussed them more than i care to. Ive gotten to the point that if i cant take it apart and make it work, i use a funnel and take the whole nozzle off.

9. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Gutted all mine as well. But I have 3 of the old metal 5 gallon cans with the spout. They get more use than the new ones

10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I went with VP racing jugs and spout. They are great. I can fuel my boats on their lift at the dock and not spill a drop in the lake.

bearleft likes this.
  11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Sportsman guide sells old jerry cans and spouts on occasion.

12. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    I modified ever one of mine because the ones suck... The only one I have that I like are shaped like a tee with a button on the back of it , they will flat out dump some fuel.. images.jpg

13. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Seen somewhere a guy drilled a hole and inserted a valve stem and removed the needle for air. Screw the cap on when done whaalah no more gurgling BS

14. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    That will work, but Gasoline will somewhat dissolve the rubber valve stems. The button vents are Cheaper and Better.
    Metal Gas Cans??? There should be some at the flea markets....I had 3 really good ones Stolen a couple years ago. Jest sayin....

15. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    So stupid. John stossel did an expose on the gas can debacle and it was amazing how dumb things have gotten.

barney likes this.