Duck Pond

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by JPete, Feb 16, 2017.

1. JPete

JPete Fawn

Feb 15, 2017
    Central KY
    Looking for a little help from some of you all that have done this before. It's been so long since I posted on here I couldn't even remember my login.

We are digging a pond in central KY in the Nicholasville area. It's main purpose will be hunting but it will be a fishing pond too so I cant drain it dry to plant. The plan is to dig it with a shallow shelf of 1/2 acre or so that I can plant and flood for ducks. There is plenty of water around to flood it with and will install some kind of water control to raise and lower the water level. You all in west KY are familiar with this stuff I'm sure but you don't see it much around here and I am new to the planting and flooding aspect. Just curious if anybody in central KY has tried this and how it turned out and if you have any suggestions?

Also wondering what would be best to plant in this area. Could do natural vegetation that you could manipulate or crops and leave them standing if I am understanding the laws right.

2. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    check your personal messages

3. oddfellow1976

oddfellow1976 6 pointer

Jul 26, 2012
    Your key will be your water control device. Sounds like it would be hard to maintain a fishing pond and a shallow water moist soil unit at the same time. Rain is unpredictable. This isn't as big of a deal if your just going to let natural vegetation come up. There is a method lowering the water at the right time and disturbing the soil to get the most of the natural stuff. If you are planting corn you gotta make sure its dry. Corn seed will rot if its swampy. You may be better off with a two tiered system. Depending on your topography you may want to have your moist soil unit below your pond so that you can keep running water through it like a spring when everything else freezes.

4. JPete

JPete Fawn

Feb 15, 2017
    Central KY
    The water shouldnt be an issue. Its in a spot that gets alot of drainage but if it doesnt get the rain it needs to flood it I can pump what we need to raise it a couple feet. I'm thinking if we dig it with shallow sloping edges and a 1/2 acre shelf on the shallow end that is just above the low water level I could flood a decent amount of food on the edges and shelf by raising the water level 2 or 3 feet. I'm in central KY too so it wont take the amount of flooded food that it would in west KY to hold ducks. We shoot a good number of ducks and geese on ponds here with no food in them at all.
    We dug a pond on a place we had about 15 years ago and installed water control that worked good. Not sure what you call it but it was basically a box in the dam you could raise or lower the water level with the gates inside it. It might not work like I'm picturing it, but we could still keep fish this way opposed to draining it dry to plant. I probably wont do corn in this small of a area, I'm afraid it would all get eaten before season by the deer and from what I have read its hard to grow. Think I will try jap millet first and see how that goes and I'm sure there will be some trial and error on the planting. Might even plant a couple different things the first year to see what works. You have any suggestions for something to plant in a small area like this that deer wont eat before duck season? I'm reading some things that deer wont eat millet too much and other things that they love it.