Drill out a breech plug?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by jmo, Feb 4, 2018.

1. jmo

jmo 6 pointer

Apr 17, 2005
    Nicholasville
    As hard as I tried, I couldn’t get the breech plug unclogged on my new CVA optima. So I took my smallest drill bit and drilled it out. It may have been a tiny bit larger than the original orifice, but I figured it couldn’t hurt. Any thoughts?

2. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    I know they sell a breech plug especially for using with blackhorn 209. It has a much larger hole than the standard. I'm guessing you're fine but, others may disagree.
    If you're unsure or don't want to risk it they're pretty cheap on ebay.

3. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    What do you mean by small drill bit? Just like on a flintlock, the worst that will happen is some blowback, but if it's close to the original, it shouldn't hurt anything. One episode like this is all it takes to learn to clean your muzzleloader as soon as you can after shooting!

trust me likes this.
  4. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I drill one out on an old Knight once. Used a drill bit then took a ez out and ran it in the nipple hole. Put some vice grips on the ez out. Put just a bit of heat from a propane handheld torch to the barrel and it came right out. Replaced it with the same size plug replaced the nipple and as far as I know it worked fine for the guy I did it for he never said differant.

5. jmo

jmo 6 pointer

Apr 17, 2005
    Nicholasville
    I used a 1/16 drill bit. It didn’t have a lot of “bite” so I don’t think i removed a lot of the breech plug. I bought the gun used, so I’m not the dumba$$ who didn’t clean it. I know better. I’ve already ordered a new plug, so I guess I’ll keep this one as a backup.

6. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Throw that breech plug in the garbage and forget about it. Breech plugs are 30 bucks. It may cost a bit more to fix your face. If you aren’t an armorer I would just buy another one if you want a backup. Not worth the risk at all.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  7. mike goodlett

mike goodlett 6 pointer

Aug 28, 2009
    Mount Sterling ky.
    I don't know if this will be helpful. But I guy I worked with a few years back didn't grease his he couldn't get it out ask me to try. I put light heat from a small torch on it.The company said to try heat. I got it out he had to buy a new plug but it didn't hurt the gun. we shot the gun the next weekend it shot good. I didn't put heat right on the gun I heated a small piece of metal laying on the gun where the plug was at.

8. jmo

jmo 6 pointer

Apr 17, 2005
    Nicholasville
    The problem isn’t removing the breech plug from the barrel. It came out slick as a whistle. The ding dong who had it before me didn’t clean the breech plug. It was just so fouled up I couldn’t get it cleaned. I tried soaking it in T/C bore cleaner, boiling water and soaking it in soapy water for a couple of days. Nothing worked, so I drilled it out. When my replacement plug comes, I’ll use the drill bit and compare the size of the holes. If it looks like I drilled out much, if any of the plug material, I’ll toss it.

9. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I'm thinking that breechplug will be just fine. I'd find out the original flashhole diameter and if it's close to the new 1/16" size, it wouldn't bother me.

bondhu likes this.
  10. mike goodlett

mike goodlett 6 pointer

Aug 28, 2009
    Mount Sterling ky.
    I understand now. It would more then likely work just fine.

11. jmo

jmo 6 pointer

Apr 17, 2005
    Nicholasville
    Well.......I got the replacement breech plug in the mail today. The hole in the one I drilled out is noticeably larger than the replacement. Therefore, in the trash it goes. No big deal. Drilling it out was the only chance I had and it didn’t work out. Safety first.

bearleft likes this.
  12. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    Good move on tossing the breech plug...my neighbor did exactly the same thing to a CVA Wolf...the blow back etched the breech face really good (nice deep cut into it)...brought it by the machine shop to see about repairing the face...he ordered a new breech plug...

They actually make a set of round files (they feel about like a nail file) that can be used to "clean" the flash hole...

hotdog likes this.