DIY European Mount

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Rheath, Dec 8, 2016.

  1. Rheath

    Rheath 6 pointer

    Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    Just a mobile home wheel, a grill top grate, & an old pot all from the dump. Only spent $3 for the peroxide from Sally's beauty, and $2 in change at the local car wash for a good pressure wash. First one I've ever done. It was pretty easy even with wood burning. I'm sure propane would be a breeze. Considering doing some for people next year.
  2. EdLongshanks

    EdLongshanks 12 pointer

    Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Nice work and great deer
    Rheath likes this.
  3. Gioacchino

    Gioacchino 6 pointer

    Jan 20, 2016
    Northern Kentucky
    Looks awesome, nice deer!
    Rheath likes this.
  4. Rheath

    Rheath 6 pointer

    Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    Thank you all. I'm too cheap to pay someone else when I can do something myself and learn something in the process. He looks bigger than he is with a bare skull. Only scored 115 but I'm happy with him. Was shocked at the local prices when I called around for the mount as I haven't had one done in quite a few years which is why I opted to give it a try.
    EdLongshanks likes this.
  5. gds

    gds 6 pointer

    Jan 2, 2005
    Give us your recipe and don't tell me it has to be boiled over cedar wood , I don't have any. Good looking job.
  6. carbonhunter

    carbonhunter 6 pointer

    Aug 14, 2012
    Campbellsville ky
    How long did you have to boil it?
  7. Rheath

    Rheath 6 pointer

    Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    Skin, take out eyes, take off jaw, cut off big chunks of meat.

    Just simmer for about half a day, taking out every 30 mins or so to brush off-pick off with pliers pieces of meat. Use a hair dryer to really get the coals hot like a forge. It was a windy cold day so i had to work at it keep my fire going good.

    Last hour put in some dish soap to cut the grease and take away some of the yellowing.

    Take to the car wash and pressure wash.

    Use gloves and goggles and apply 40 volume peroxide, painting on skull after wrapping some electrical tape on the antler bases. Wrap in plastic wrap, put in a box, cut a hole in the bottom box and feed in a hair dryer. Turn on low for about 25 mins.

    Remove from box and plastic wrap and rinse. Let dry. Repeat bleaching if not white enough. Once was fine for me.

    Only down fall to wood besides the obvious i had to buff the antlers as they got scorched a bit when flames got to big. Picked me up a used propane turkey fryer at an auction over the weekend for $4 I'm gonna use next year.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  8. jblack1

    jblack1 10 pointer

    Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I'm going to try a method I found on youtube,
    bury the head except for the antlers and forget about it for a few months,
    I think I will wrap the antlers in aluminum foil to keep the rodents from chewing them,
    then put some sort of tub over the exposed antlers, so the sun won't bleach them.
  9. Rheath

    Rheath 6 pointer

    Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    I thought about doing the same thing. They sell those big plastic tubs with handles at Lowe's for 8 bucks.
  10. childersb24

    childersb24 6 pointer

    Mar 25, 2010
    I do everything you do but I bought one of those horse feed buckets with the flat back on it and a water heater element and mounted the element to the bucket. Plug it in to a wall outlet and let it boil for about 3 hours. It's works great and you don't have to baby sit gas or keep a fire going.
  11. Buford

    Buford 12 pointer

    Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Horse water buckets don't boil.
  12. bgkyarcher

    bgkyarcher 12 pointer

    Aug 23, 2011
    I simmered mine for 2 hours, cleaned off loose stuff, then simmered again for 2 hours with dove. Turned out pretty good
  13. WildmanWilson

    WildmanWilson 12 pointer

    Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Where I work we have hot condensate (hot water) and I just put it a metal bucket with the condensate running continuously into the bucket. I come back in 8 hours and everything just falls off. Even the stuff in the nasal cavity. No picking and very little spraying with a hose. Works better than anything I've tried.

Share This Page