Deer mineral or deer attractant

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Dreamhunter, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 6 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
    hey was wanting to here some ideas on making apple blocks or apple candy for deer what kind of homemade recipes you guys got thanks.

2. 257Wmag

257Wmag Spike

Oct 7, 2015
    NC
    My buddy good luck with this one:

Large bottle of apple juice, put 1/2 in another bottle. Then mix a whole can of table sale into each and 1/2 a bottle of molasses into each. Shake well. Pour on a stump. Not a block but seems to work well. I'm going to whip some up here soon.

3. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    First.... I want to put out a disclaimer here that its not my intention to tick anyone off by my opinion.

But my advice is save your money & time on store bought or homemade concoctions as its better spent on establishing proper mineral licks that will be beneficial health wise to deer & other wildlife long term. Especially now as does are dropping fawns.

Being..... the primary ingredient in "attractants" will be either salt or sugar. The salt aspect isn't all that bad... but the sugar part of it is.

Simple 50# blocks of white salt and / or combined with blocks of red trace mineral that you can pick up at Tractor Supply for $5 .... will work just as well as any store bought block / bag that is specifically marketed for deer. Which it may not be an "immediate or quick" response as something stoked full of sugar but once a lick is established.... just a minimal amount of maintenance & recharging is required each year.

An even better option is to use the recipe on this link....... http://fw.ky.gov/Wildlife/Documents/minerallicks.pdf

4. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    100% agree with JD on this one. Dig a hole 4" to 6" deep and about 3 feet in diameter. Insert one white salt block and over the top of it pour one 50 lb bag of Big6 Trace mineral salt. That will cost you about $12. Then every year or two if you just feel like you need to be doing something you can refresh with a bag or half a bag of the Big6 again (although once established every 5 years is probably often enough). Trophy Rocks are also very good but again they are just salt with trace mineral and they are unnecessarily expensive for starting a saltlick for deer. They are good if you want to just put them in temporary places later to be moved so I use them some but they are a waste of money otherwise.

I have gotten Summer time pictures of literally hundreds of 140"-200" bucks over the last decade over saltlicks just like what I described. The deer need and like salt. They might like sugar but they don't need it and I have seen no evidence that anything present beyond the salt really does anything to enhance your ability to attract the deer and get pictures (which I would presume is the point of what you are looking to do).

Sugar and flavorant and fragrance are not going to help you attract bigger deer or more deer. The deer can smell salt from God only knows how far away. It doesn't need to have an apple smell to bring them in. However as JD said... to each his own so if you are just doing it for the fun of it and don't mind sending a few deer to the Dentist... go for it.

5. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    We run 3 licks on our place..... 2 were established very similar to what you describe salt & trace mineral. The other was initially started using the KDF&WR's recipe using dical, salt & trace mineral. Then all I've ever done to it is add 1-50# white block & 1-50 red trace block every year since. Which on all 3 ...they will get at least one or two blocks every year.

I'll also say on that particular one... its right off our food plot & pretty low key access without bumping deer. Fact is I can literally drive to it in the truck. Its the one I've had a camera on during the summer for several years now and usually post pictures here. Which I hung a camera over it and put new blocks out on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. As such...I swapped cards this past Saturday.... exactly 2 weeks..... I had 2,618 pictures.

Pics were about 95% deer (bucks & does).... but had some pics of coons, possums, squirrels ...even rabbits licking salt.

6. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    Yea I refresh mine just about every year too but I know it is overkill. Once a site is well established you could probably leave it alone for 10 years and the deer will keep using it almost the same it seems. It is just so cheap to have that piece of mind that it is still "salty" that I always toss another 50 lbs in every Winter anyway.

There is simply no better way to get pictures and take inventory than with established saltlicks. You can put a camera there and leave it for a month or more and you will have pics of pretty much every deer that is living anywhere remotely close by yet I still hear of people trying to do the same thing with feeders or cornpiles in June and July. In the process they are wasting time and money and creating a "hoglot" type area by the end of the Summer that big deer typically don't care much for. Then when season is in they are surprised that the big deer that they had some pictures of at their feeder is sporadic and nocturnal.

7. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 6 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
    Thanks guys for the advice done have the white and red blocks out put them out ever year.

8. Georgia Transplant

Georgia Transplant 10 pointer

May 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    I agree on this one!

9. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    What places sell the 50lb salt, trace mineral, and dical? I never see just plain salt or mineral round here. Thanks

10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Tractor Supply, Southern States, Rural King .. just to name a few. They should have block or bag.

Dical is a little harder to find.. being the last I bought was in a 20lb bucket at southern states. Don't believe I've ever ran across it at Tractor Supply or Rural King.

11. II RiNgEyE II

II RiNgEyE II 6 pointer

Nov 4, 2009
    Brindle Ridge, KY
    I use 50lbs each of red trace, rock salt and Di calcium. They have been hitting them hard. They seem to love it here in Rockcastle County.

12. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 6 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
    Were do you guys get the rock salt at.

13. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    Grocery store

14. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Found 50# ea of salt and mineral at local feed store where I get my dog food. 7.50 for salt, 8 for mineral. Will put it out today and hang a camera.

15. elkaholic

elkaholic 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I use Lucky Buck and refresh it once a month with 1/2 a bucket from April till September. I have done this 4 years now and have noticed a difference with the size of the racks on the bucks here.