deer lease agreement?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by buchanangt, Sep 12, 2017.

1. buchanangt

buchanangt 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2005
    Anyone have any legitimate lease paperwork?
    I have lucked up and found a farm to rent for hunting. The owner has never leased just the hunting rights out.

I have never leased land as well? Anyone have any good lease agreement I could use? Any good or bad about lease agreements? I'm the only one hunting on this farm.

2. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    One thing that you'll need to investigate is the liability. Don't take my response as gospel, but. ..

The deal is this: as long as you're hunting for free, at least in most states, the landowner has no liability for injury. This protects farmers. You step in a chuck hole and break an ankle? It's not his problem. You put up a treestand and fall out? Not his problem. You, the hunter are assuming all risks short of negligence. That is, unless the landowner is deliberately setting booby traps, or doing something really heinous like leaving old wells uncovered, he has no worries about you injuring yourself.

That all changes when you lease. Now, any tree stand, even the ones you put up become a risk. You might not be the kind to sue, but your next of kin might. The onus is now on the landowner. If you step in the same chuck hole, he's responsible for your medical bills.

All this can be taken care of with a call to the insurance agent. A policy protecting the leasor from this sort of thing is going to be fairly cheap, and you, the leasee can pay the premium for him as part of the deal.

Again, I'm no expert. However, I had to research this for my family when we bought our property in 2001. I make sure that I don't accept direct payment for hunting and I make hunters sign an agreement stating they understand my letter of permission is a 1-way deal and I received no compensation in return.

3. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    American Hunting Lease Association has the forms and the insurance. Good luck!

4. buchanangt

buchanangt 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2005
    What's a general price per acre? Found 30 acres mostly woods a few open areas not very big. Near Washington county? 1,000$ for the year?

5. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Around here in Columbia its gonna run you from 2 to ten dollars a acre with the majority costing 6 to 8 dollars. Iv been contemplating leasing a very nice farm here in the county for the last two yrs but the owner wants ten a acre i think its 280 acres. But there is a nice big fishing lake on it and some oppurtunities for some big ol bucks. I probably wont lease it but if i didnt have access to the farms i do id be 2800 lighter in the pocket lol

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  6. Born to Hunt

Born to Hunt 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2005
    Edmonton, KY
    30 Acres for $1,000??? Holy cow...maybe I need to give up deer hunting and start leasing my 134 acres out. At that rate, I could lease my land and stands and go out west for a great elk trip lol.

7. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

No friggin' way.

8. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

I would laugh at the guy who offered it to me for that.... He is out of his mind!

9. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    $5 per acre is a reasonable lease for an average property...an area with some real trophy potential may command a bit more (as might a lease that allows the hunter to make small alterations such as food plots, etc)...

10. buchanangt

buchanangt 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2005
    It's all year I have also have access to deer and turkey season. What would you offer him for the property?

11. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    sounds like around 150 bucks to me. If its great great great then maybe 300 but not a penny more. 30 acres isnt much land bud and its gonna be hard to get much use out of it.

12. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    30 acres in a good spot is a place to hunt. What do guys pay to hunt on a lease? I'd say if you like the spot, you have a buddy that hunts too, and the owner takes $800 you should think about it. $400/man for 1 year rights to a place to hunt is not bad.

13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    $30 an acre is way too much, imho.

14. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    There are places i would be willing to pay that price for a small acrage piece and others with 10x the acreage that i wouldnt hunt for free. I would offer 500-800 to find out (especially if other options are limited.) If you happen to find its a buck haven honey hole keep you mouth shut about it. If not move on next year. One benefit is if it turns out to be a good spot you may have a good chance at keeping a property that small and not have someone come in and outbid you.
    It will be tough sharing a property that small with another person. They are likely going to piss you off and it may get cramped as what he does will likely effect your situation.
    As for turkey hunting, you can certainly kill turkeys on 30 acres but having more room to run and gun is way more fun IMO.
    With that said my home sits on a measly 13 acres and I manage to kill plenty of deer and a turkey or two every year. It aint much but its mine and it costs considerably more than $1000 a year.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017