Deer hunting myths

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by carnivore, Nov 10, 2018.

1. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    What are some ideas you had that took years for you to change your mind on? Mine would be mortally hit deer always go down hill. Ive seen several travel the same elevation and a few go up hill. My guess is there are places they feel safe they are trying to get to even if it means going uphill.

2. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    One Season, several year ago, I watched a Deer at the bottom of a hill, from my stand which was at the edge of the woods. I waited until the Deer came-up to the edge of the woods as I really didn't want to drag it up hill some 200 yards through a rough area. Well, the Deer finally came to the edge some 70 yards from my stand and I shot it with my .270, hitting it in the lung/shoulder area. The Deer then spun around and ran back down the hill and crossed a small water filled creek. Lucky, a Hunting friend heard my shot and came and we got the Deer up to the field to dress. Seems like I've had more Deer run after being shot with a .270 than with my .308. <Strange>

3. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    That you can't buy a gun from Walmart the night before the season that's bore sighted to 300 yards.:)

aaronc, xbokilla, mac0492 and 6 others like this.
  4. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    I double lung shot a buck in 2015 with a .338 wm mind you and he managed to run up a hill and small rock face before crashing and expiring. Total distance traveled about 90 yards.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    Waco
    Growing up in MI I was always told don't shoot does , even once the herd built up a bit many old timers still refuse.

carnivore likes this.
  6. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I bet a lot of Deer are wounded by Hunters that buy their rifles at Walmart the day before the Season. They should know: just because there is a scope on the rifle, doesn't mean it's sighted in properly. Those that work in Walmarts' Sporting Goods sections don't know much about firearms. They just sell them.

7. kc4sox

kc4sox 6 pointer

Nov 16, 2014
    London Kentucky
    If it was like it was in East Tennessee when I was young there weren’t any deer. We had to go to Chuck Swann management area to have any hope of seeing a deer. TWRA “stocked” the place. I can remember hunting private land for years and not seeing a single deer and very little sign. It wasn’t until years later when I took up bowhinting that I started taking does.

8. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    Waco
    Sure has changed in parts of TN.. I owned land in Henry county near paris and the limit then was three bucks a season and three does a day. Unit L

9. dabassking

dabassking Fawn

Sep 16, 2015
    It’s weird that I’ve always agreed with that myth, but now that I think about it, I’ve had a few deer run uphill or along the side before. Never really thought about that contradicting my own notion that they’ll “run to water” aka downhill.

10. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I think you asking a lot out of the people that buy firearms the day before the season at Walmart.

11. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I’ve got a lot(or had) family that moved up to Mi to work. My papaw owned two big farms up there. He loved to deer hunt and waterfowl hunt. I remember that’s the first time I ever saw and participated in a deer drive. Man they would line across one of his huge corn fields while he and maybe one more would stand at the end with 1100’s stuffed full of 000 buck. Or maybe his ithica 10ga loaded with 000. They’d lay down the does like firewood as they came out..

ojibwa62 likes this.
  12. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    once a spike, always a spike was the motto back in the 70's.

ojibwa62, KYBOY and jim rifanburg like this.
  13. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    The first buck I ever shot was running out ahead of my grandfather running corn in his combine. Somewhat non traditional , but effective.

14. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I hunted one of those large cornfields up north. They were picking opening day of gun season. Farmer first took out 16 rows in front of my stand, My stand was in a fence row between fields, deer stayed in the corn until less than 50 or so rows were left out of thousands and all heck broke loose once their cover was gone. Funny that farmer wanted me to ride on top of the combine and shoot every small deer we seen. He like deer meat but just didn't have time to hunt he said. I managed to shoot one of about 70 pounds but hunted my stand rather than ride and he must have thank me a dozen times.

15. minixjt

minixjt Fawn

Jul 10, 2018
    Paintsville, KY
    I was siting in a new scope on my 300 the other day. Bought some ammo at Walmart. It loves powerpoints. So that’s what I shoot out of it. Guy at the counter was telling me how everyone has been filing them it more of a point for better accuracy and I just gave him an odd look.