Deer baiting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by mudhole crossing, May 14, 2018.

1. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    who's against this practice?

2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I don’t bait for deer,to each their own.Ive heard it said it spreads disease,I don’t know ,it sure sell a lot of corn

3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
  4. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I have for several years but I'm reading a lot on it be harmful for turkey so I prolly won't until I hear dif.

5. xilk123

xilk123 6 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    clay co
    not sure the science behind it, but in my experience the turkey have taken over my farm which i have been feeding corn on for 10+ years. They are so many its almost to the point I waste my time putting out corn cause they eat it all up.

6. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I find it difficult to keep corn in the feeders consistently, i'm too spread out so I don't fool with it, The couple feeders I had tried I realized I was feeding more raccoons and then the deer and got aggravated checking cameras with 300 coon pictures

If you are a meat hunter, I don't see a problem with it, I know some guys that take two or three does a year to literally feed their family so if they're set up on some corn that makes them successful perfectly fine for me,

bdbrown66 likes this.
  7. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    I run 4 feeders. I do it to run cameras get meat does. Love the yearlings. Yummmmm. We eat 6-8 deer a year in this house. I actually think it makes it harder to get a mature buck. If I trophy hunted I would not do it on this farm. The way this farm is laid out and the paths to get to good stands I would use white oak stands and bedding areas for that. But last year I had a horrible time with getting deer to move. There was a corn pile or feeder on every ridge and every bottom. All my neighbors had feeders out. Every deer I killed had a belly full of corn. 90% of pics was from 11pm to 4am. So it may be a hinderance to me now that everyone is using bait. And I wonder where this trend of “I have to put out corn before I deer hunt” is going to?

mudhole crossing likes this.
  8. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    Food Plots much better all the way around!!

davers and mudhole crossing like this.
  9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I run a couple corn piles every year. I only get to hunt weekends, and it increases my odds dramatically. I see more deer, and have killed some nice bucks. The places I hunt don't have much wooded land. Without corn, I'd struggle to kill deer.

10. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    I am trying to get away from it by planting oaks. My clover and brassica plots have not done too well but will continue to try until my trees start producing acorns. I will bait as needed until then.

mudhole crossing likes this.
  11. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    The coons on my place take over feeders too quick. I get as many as 10 to a pic. The little beady-eyed turds teach each other how to climb the feeder and spin it by hand.

I’m not feeding coons. I don’t care if I ever kill another big deer.

12. kyduck1

kyduck1 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2012
    I'll pour it to em a little closer to season...never killed a big one out of the pile but it'll sure pull in those does. It'll keep the bucks in the area checking the ladies.

13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    The big dudes will come too, particularly in early season. I blew it on the biggest buck I've ever shot at in 2013. Mid 150's buck, 37 yards. 13 deer inside 30 yards, and I rushed the shot worried about getting busted. I've had bigger than him coming to corn in daylight, but never got a shot at them. Corn helps, no doubt.

14. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    There is a coon season. Don’t have to use hounds. Just shoot the little corn stealing turds

15. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    The guys and I run feeders ,food plots and mineral sites. We mostly
    only rifle hunt, so we pour the corn on them.
    We see a lot of deer and sometimes shoot a bigger buck,if one shows up.
    We have a couple of guys that only shoot doe for meat.
    Yes,we bait,I reckon....