Dale Hollow Resort Park Quota Hunt

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by BULL MOOSE, Oct 18, 2017.

1. BULL MOOSE

BULL MOOSE 6 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    Jackson, TN, USA.
    My two kids both drew this hunt for Dec. 9-10. It looks like we could get a room at the park and enjoy a weekend.

I have some questions:
    Is this a new hunt? I can’t find a history for drawings here https://app.fw.ky.gov/quotahunt/deerResults.aspx

Is this area being affected by EHD this year?

Any history of some great bucks in this area?

2. HuntsItAll

HuntsItAll 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2009
    A hunters paradise
    My 2 girls, and my buddy's 2 girls were drawn also!!! If its like any other state park I've been to.... Its going to be a good time!!
    I do think this is a new hunt. But not 100% on that. As far as the deer numbers?? Not sure? I do know that Dale Hollow WMA is open to the public for all state wide seasons. So far, There has only been 3 deer checked in on it....

3. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Didn't they use to have fallow deer there?

4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Never hunted it but every time I've ever been there seen a ton of deer! Pretty place, should be fun.

5. Born to Hunt

Born to Hunt 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2005
    Edmonton, KY
    My dad and I were drawn for a hunt on the state park a few years ago. I frequent the park often either to stay with our horses in the summer while on riding excursions or travel through to the marina. There are definitely deer there. For our hunt, there were definitely people there too lol...a bunch of them. I actually had quite an experience- one I'll never forget on the first and only morning we hunted:

A series of multiple shots started shortly after day break. One of those deals where you could hear two-five shot volleys start from several hundred yards away. The vollies continued as the deer traveled lol. Finally, the last volley was a three shot burst within a couple hundred yards of me and shortly after, I heard a deer headed my way with the afterburners on. I made ready to shoot the monster when suddenly, I caught glimpses of him coming down a ridge toward me. The buck actually stopped in an opening that allowed a really good view- a small 6 point. He was standing with his head slightly down and panting- tongue out and heaving! Now I don't know, all that shooting could have resulted in a bunch of deer being taken, but this little guy escaped. I imagined someone had taken a shot at him and as he escaped, every hunter who saw him opened up until he was out of sight. Anyway, I turned the scope up to 9x and examined his body looking for wounds because I would have dispatched him if he was noticeably hit. I didn't see any sign of a wound and momentarily, he took off again.

Shortly after he left, I walked to where my dad was at. He was searching for a bigger tree to get behind lol. He said one of the volleys sent bullets his way as he heard them smacking trees. Needless to say, we got the heck outta there and on the way out, we found a gut pile on one of the greens on the golf course. Then, on the drive out, we saw a fawn just off the road with its front leg blown nearly off. We stopped, but couldn't find it after it disappeared into the brush.

I'm not trying to disappoint you - just giving you my limited experience- when we were there, people were sitting on top of each other. It is a small area and hopefully, they allow fewer hunters than they did during our hunt.

6. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    You gotta love quota hunting!:)

7. BULL MOOSE

BULL MOOSE 6 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    Jackson, TN, USA.
    Thanks for replies! The quota is 40 and every youth will have an adult. I guess probably 30-35 will actually show.

It looks like a fairly big area with plenty of trails to hike and website shows over 3000 acres. https://www.kentuckytourism.com/outdoor-adventure/attraction/dale-hollow-lake-state-resort-park/81/

I also found this: http://parks.ky.gov/!userfiles/Special hunts/Dale Hollow.pdf

I just don’t want to get our hopes up for some potential large bucks in an unhunted area/ or 1/2 the deer gone to to ehd.

8. BULL MOOSE

BULL MOOSE 6 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    Jackson, TN, USA.
    We are still planning to attend. If anyone has some tips, please feel free to pm me.

9. columbia whitetail

columbia whitetail 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    Not trying to high jack your thread but is anybody allowed to hunt during hunting season? Bow hunt without a quota hunt application?

10. HuntsItAll

HuntsItAll 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2009
    A hunters paradise
    Dale Hollow Lake WMA is open to the public under state wide regulations. This quota hunt is for the State Park only. There is NO hunting there all year. This will be the first hunt of the year. Youth only.

11. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    From what I read "Every youth" isn't required to have an adult, I just have to be in position to take control of the firearm if necessary. It works just like the statewide hunting regulations.
    I'm taking both my boys also.
    I hunted the last quota hunt held there about 6-7 years ago, at that time the deer were scattered and we saw maybe 4 deer total.

12. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I'm considering taking my boat, but not sure at this time.

13. HuntsItAll

HuntsItAll 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2009
    A hunters paradise
    I am taking my 2 daughters, and my buddy is also taking his 2 girls. My girls are 12 and 10, and his 13 and 11. So between me, my buddy, and you. It sounds like 6 hunters set up in 3 spots.

14. HuntsItAll

HuntsItAll 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2009
    A hunters paradise
    I hunted the last quota hunt held there about 6-7 years ago, at that time the deer were scattered and we saw maybe 4 deer total.[/QUOTE]

Wow...... That's not typical of the state parks I've been on before. I'm really hoping there is more deer there now. I've been on Green River, and Taylorsville state park and they're covered in deer. We're not trophy hunting, so if each girl can harvest a doe a piece, we will be happy!!!

15. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    Scary stuff! Gut pile on the golf course, how classy!