CVA Optima Pro?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by jmo, Jan 22, 2018.

1. jmo

jmo 6 pointer

Apr 17, 2005
    Nicholasville
    I’m looking at a used CVA Optima Pro for $175. Any pro’s and con’s of this model? Does this sound like a decent deal? My current inline muzzleloader has a messed up breech plug and while my face might not be so pretty, I kinda like having the right side of it. Thanks.

2. nateb440

nateb440 8 pointer

Nov 8, 2011
    I have an accura and optima and a wolf. All of them are great shooters. You might check Walmart right now for some great deals. I just picked up a new scoped optima v2 for $189 and the wolf for $79.

3. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    $79?!? I thought my cousin got a great deal on one about a month ago for $124

nateb440 likes this.
  4. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    Great gun, but mine came with some of the prettiest looking but most worthless glass on it. Glass is only worth using if you have full daylight - shadows, dusk, dawn, might as well point and guess.

5. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I just bought an Optima package with a scope in December the week before late muzzle loader. It was $259.00 on sale. It is the nickle plated with a composite thumbhole stock. I love it, easy to clean and accurate. I shot a doe, a buddy killed a doe and my wife killed a nice buck with it.

6. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Best I can tell they stopped making that model in around 2009. Research shows that on sale they were going new in the 190 to 250 range. Don’t know if that is with or without scope. If the finish and options on that particular model are what you want and you are happy with the deal you should proceed. I would make sure that it is the most recent optima pro model with the quick release breech plug before purchasing. If it is the older model that required a tool to take out the breech plug I would try to get it for less money. I believe that all cva’s made in recent history are good shooters. I think you will be happy but you also may find a better deal out there somewhere.

7. jmo

jmo 6 pointer

Apr 17, 2005
    Nicholasville
    Well, I pulled the trigger and went ahead and got it. $125 out the door with a nice sling, which I thought was a good deal. The whole rifle looks spotless. The breech plug needs to be cleaned, but that’s no big deal. It has a hex head breech plug that makes removal quick and easy. It didn’t have a scope, but I have one in the cabinet looking for a new home and I just found it one. Thanks for the input. Now it’s time to get that scope mounted and sighted in.

nateb440 likes this.
  8. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Awesome buddy. sounds like you got a good deal and are happy with it. Let us know how it shoots.

9. jfiscus

jfiscus 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2013
    Kenton County
    I think that is the same one I have. Mine shoots well.