CVA Optima owners. What is your most accurate load combination?

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by TripleGee, Oct 2, 2011.

1. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Got an Optima and have had good accuracy using 2 pellets (100 gr.) and 245 grain bullets. What are some combinations you guys use? How about some 3 pellet (150 gr.)combinations?

2. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    I've never tried the 150gr. loads. I've always heard that the barrel isn't long enough to burn a full 150gr of powder, and I've never had any problems with the 100gr loads.

3. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    WEll, I just bought a scope for mine and thought maybe i'd try loads out to 150-200 yards. Don't know why, my shots will be less than 50 yards. Don't really need the scope as I can put em in a pretty good group with open sites. Especially at 50 yards or less. Just asking.

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Optima's have been made with either a 26"in or 28"in barrels.....mine is a 26"in and I too have only shot 100gr 777 loads..been satisfied.

But I believe with shooting pellets you should get a full burn with either barrel with a 3-pellet load and a hot 209 ingnition. In my opinion a barrel is a barrel of adequate length.. and the Optimas are no different than the T/C's...Knights ....or whatever. Been way too much ballistics studied to not believe your getting a full burn... way too much hype on the magnum loads.

Too me its an accuracy game ...too much...too little...accuracy suffers....which back in the day you would work up a load you liked. Now with the ease of modern pellets...we lost out on some of that small incrament adjustabillity. We just take a modern inline ...slip 2 or 3 50gr pellets down the barrel and take for granted were good to go. Its just a matter of ease of use that we got accustomed to but does'nt mean were getting the most out of our guns or bullets. It just works to get the job done..and were satisfied.

I think where barrel length would be an issue is with loose powder...which the manufactures will tell you there is a difference in charges between loose & pellets. Also....back when cap-locks ruled....I had always heard that you could fill up the barrel with blackpowder / pyrodex....from top to bottom...but you would only burn so much and the rest would be just blowed out on the ground. Which I believe is where a lot of us get our opinions on the magnum loads of today. Just cant 100% say this is the truth with a hollow pellet charge where the ingnition flash would travel through 3-pellets.

Most sidelocks were also reccommended at a max load of either 80gr-90gr of loose powder.....which at 85 grains(Pyrodex RS) was my standard behind a 385gr wt Buffalo or Great Plains bullet. I'd shoot 70 grains for patched roundballs.

I remember shooting one of the biggest bodied bucks I've ever killed...dressed at 175lbs with a Hornady Great Plains bullet. It was at about 60 yards with a hard shoulder hit. Knocked the deer sideways about 6 ft from the impact...I was amazed at the wallop / power with the load.

When I went to carrying a scoped Optima inline....shooting 245 gr PowerBelts.... guess a lot of that carried over and figured whats the point of shooting more than 100 grain load with the deer here in Ky. The majority of my shots will be way under 100 yds but I have tha capabillity to stretch it a little further. The bullets have progressed along...and key with anything related to hunting....is shot placement.

Also.....not knocking those shooting 3-pellet "magnum" loads.... just personally did'nt see the use in it and the 100 gr loads are proven. Will also add....I've not tried some of the other powders that are on the market now.... I may be missing out but I kinda go by the old adage ..."if it aint broke..dont fix it" . If I hunted larger critters...switched to heavier bullets.... hunted more wide open spaces...I'd probably be more prone to change.

Gnarly likes this.
  5. Catfish Willy

Catfish Willy 6 pointer

Oct 27, 2010
    Henry County
    I shoot 150 grains of triple 7 and a 245 powerbelt. The only problem I have with it is the powerbelt doesn't stay together as well with the stronger charge. I have only shot 4 deer with it and none made it past 20 yards. There is usually two exit holes though but I did find about half of the bullet in the last deer I killed. It is fine for deer but I wouldn't trust it if I ever got a chance for an elk. I didn't measure it when I shot it but it shoots about 1 1/2 inch groups which is good enough for me.

6. TRAILMASTER

TRAILMASTER 8 pointer

Feb 12, 2004
    Nelson, Co.
    100 Grain of pellets and a 240 gr. Hornady sabot. Can't get much more accurate.

7. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Thanks for all your comments. I thought I had 240's but turns out they are 200 gr. I wonder what they will travel?

8. jb917

jb917 8 pointer

Oct 21, 2009
    Ewing, KY
    I sighted in two optimas this weekend. Tried 250 gr. Powerbelts with 100gr pyrodex pellets. Was all over the target. So I tried 250gr shockwaves. They shot great 3 shot 1 inch group at 100 yards. Then i sighted in my grandpas optima. He wanted to shoot 150 gr pyrodex pellets. I tried shockwaves and powerbelts it was throwing them all over the paper. So I tried the 240gr xtp bullet 1 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards. Very happy with these guns. They shoot great u just have to take the time to try different bullet.

9. rackstacker

rackstacker 6 pointer

Aug 28, 2011
    Very accurate with 100 grain 777 and 250 hornady sabots.

10. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Well, tomorrow I reckon I'm going to try using 100gr. of the non-sulfur pellets and 200 gr. Shockwaves. I have a couple of the 245's left and will sling them down range also just for kicks.

11. KRB_FTW

KRB_FTW 6 pointer

Jul 25, 2010
    Berea
    What are the 245s? You might like using loose powder too, you get more consistent charges on account of the edges not crumbling off like with the pellets.

12. Xcal1ber

Xcal1ber 12 pointer

Jul 16, 2011
    Couple ridges over
    100 grains of Triple 7, Hogdon pellets.
    245 grain Powerbelt bullet.. (the green one)

VERY VERY accurate.

13. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Well, I went and sighted in on Friday with 100 gr. Triple Seven pellets, no sulfur and 200 Gr. Shockwave with aerotip bullets. First, sighted in at 1" high at 25 yds. as I had a new scope to get "on". Then, went right out to 100 yds. First shot was dead on but 3" to right. Adjusted, second shot 1" high, 1" right. Adjusted, third shot dead on, 3" high. Shot again and it was a little to the left. Shot again and dead on, 1" high. I had a shaky rest also. No anchor spot, sand bags or anything just some stuff I had to lay the gun on to keep it off the table. I would have had better luck if I could have stood up and used a tree as a rest such as in hunting. So, I am very happy with that grouping at 100 yds. If I have just any kind of rest, there'll be some dead meat up to about 130 yards. I'll never have to shoot that far, but it's good to know.

Oh yeah, cleaned after every two shots. Actually shot better on second shot! Weird. Course, I did have a weird rest situation. Too low.

14. deerhunter1984

deerhunter1984 6 pointer

Mar 30, 2005
    Irvine,Ky
    I've always shot 90 grain of powder with a 245 grain powerbelt. It has given me the best results/accuracy & I'm good out to 150 yards.

15. Festus1005

Festus1005 Fawn

Oct 10, 2017
    Louisville
    Giving this old thread a bump. Seven years later, what are y’all having luck with?

I just got a new Optima V2 26” with scope. Trying to key in on a few combinations to see what it shoots best.