Crossbow expansion, much more than just that

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by jeepndeer, Mar 12, 2018.

1. jeepndeer

jeepndeer 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2006
    I would like to thank 3rd District Commissioner Rusty Gailor for holding a Town Hall meeting to share items up for the March 23 KDFWR Commission Meeting.

Approximately 38 people turned out including Gabe Jenkins, KDFWR deer and elk program coordinator, Kyle Sims (sp?), Rachel Crume, 5th District Commissioner Kevin Bond, 3 Conservation Officers, many other sportsman representatives.

Gabe Jenkins gave a rundown of the items going the commission. Thank you Gabe for a great job and throwing yourself under the bus.

Changes have been 3 years in planning while evaluating research. Be sure to read all, some tie together to work.

Proposed changes:
    1. Expand crossbow to full archery season.
    2. Permits included with hunting license to increase to zone limits. So zone two would be 4 instead of two.
    3. Youth deer permit to change fro me to the same as zone limit the same as above.
    4. Additional deer permit free increase to bag limits for the zone, so zone 1 would be free unlimited.
    5. Loss of revenue of bonus tags offset by biologis and conservation officers no longer needing to visit hundreds of private farms to issue depredation tags.
    6. Change bag limits such that if you hunt zones 2 or above, say you get 4 bag limit in zone 3, you can also get 4 bag limit in zone 3, rather than 4 total.
    7. Change archery season from first Saturday to September 1.
    8. Increase gun season to 16 days in zones 3 and 4 so all zones are the same (see bag limit changes).
    9. Zone 3-4 reduce to only one doe, total bag limit reduced from 4 to 2.
    10. Zone 3-4 added 6 days for buck only.
    11. Department goal for all counties to be zone 2.
    12. Changes could go into effect this upcoming season.
    13. Gabe listed proposed changes to county zones, sorry I could not write fast enough to list them all. Several zone 2-1 changes mainly western KY, many zone 3 to zone 2 changes including Breckinridge, Meade, Warren counties and others. Several Eastern KY EHD counties move to Zone 4.
    14. Create application for 501c3 organizations to apply for date of choice youth gun hunt on private property.
    15. Last weekend of September gun antlerless hunt for zone 1 only, all hunters would have to wear orange.
    Lots of discussion and some valid concerns and good possible solutions to be recommended inclduing most importantly table to next meeting to allow for public notification and comment, consider crossbow expansion to resident only, or push entire archery season to September 15 start but for all vertical and crossbow.

BowOnly and KYBOY like this.
  2. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Would turkey be included for crossbow expansion?

3. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I understand what they are trying to accomplish. I don't, however, think the doe only September gun weekend will have much of an impact. I'm 100% for it, and would participate, but I just think, if it's hot, people will still be fishing, not hunting.

DH13 likes this.
  4. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Reading all that was stated, looks like the dept is wanting to reduce the herd numbers in most of the state minus eky. Also a September rifle season for does is a stupid idea. If hunters are not going to take them in cooler weather during early muzzleloader or regular rifle they aren’t in hot September.

DH13 likes this.
  5. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Not a fan of opening day falling through the week.

carnivore likes this.
  6. BowOnly

BowOnly 8 pointer

Mar 6, 2008

I'll second that. Hard enough to get away from work for an afternoon dove shoot or two. I like my Saturday opener.

slicked-it and Nock like this.
  7. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    I could go for bumping the start to the 1st. I would then be torn between Dove or Deer but not to torn.

If they have a Z1 September Doe rifle I would likely give it a whirl a time or two.

The whole crossbow thing will come sooner or later.

The doing away with bonus tags might increase harvest, maybe.

8. BowOnly

BowOnly 8 pointer

Mar 6, 2008
    Outstanding summary of the meeting, many points in there I had forgotten.

A few things cause me slight concern such as crossbow expansion and a September rifle season, but no one thing has me up in arms. I'm more concerned about all these sweeping changes coming down at once.

That said, many thanks to those who hosted and spoke at the meeting. It's been too long since a town hall type meeting has been held with the public and F&W department.

jeepndeer likes this.
  9. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Sept 1 opener would be fine, Sept gun might create some increase on large private land that needs to reduce numbers, but won’t move the needle much statewide. Unlimited does I’ll probably shoot 50 just to help get every county to a zone 3 faster lol

deershank likes this.
  10. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I will do like I have done for years. Shoot Dove early Goose and wood duck. Start bow hunting Oct 1st.
    Hate the early Doe rifle. Right now we already got early muzzle loader Oct. Youth Rifle Nov. Regular Gun then another Muzzle loader then another youth rifle then late season youth hunting that can kill what ever they want. Seems like a lot more gun hunting. Why not open Gun Sept 1st thru end of January. Looks like the way it is heading.

11. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    That's a great idea. Make a motion and I'll Second it.

12. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I really don’t care when or what weapon is used. Just long as people stick to the limits.

DH13 likes this.
  13. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I MAKE THE MOTION. I only kill what I want anyway. Wont hurt me.

RackedUP and Dark Cloud like this.
  14. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    A September 1st opener wouldn’t bother me personally ... as the last couple years I’ve been taking a week of vacation around Labor Day. But that said I’m very understanding that doesn’t work too well for others.

Crossbows for residents only would be something I could support as there always been a sticking point concerning NR’s and velvet bucks. Which I can’t see penalizing residents because of what NR’s might do.

Which in my opinion if you move the opener to September 15th... you might as well push it back to October 1st like it use to be. Being the 15th and between crops harvested, acorns and general food sources changing... you miss the summer pattern opportunity. Being maybe I have a selfish opinion here... but the first 10 days of September is as good as the rut concerning scoring on a nice buck with a bow.

The early September gun doe season..... I think will be a bust. Which maybe I’m wrong but it’s just not a conducive time for hunters or caring for downed game. Most wont like pressuring the deer ..especially if large antlered bucks are / have shown up on cameras.

Nock and DH13 like this.
  15. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Same here. I only kill what I want any way. Wont hurt me.