Covered up in sandhills!

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by wprebeck, Dec 8, 2018 at 5:33 AM.

1. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Gonna be a great day! Setting out the spread, and sandhills are all around us, chirping away on the ground. We've got five tags between the two of us....come on, ribeye of the sky!!

Except for one little problem - we're hunting Indiana today. Can't kill the damn things up here. Planning on Kentucky hunts tomorrow, maybe we'll get lucky. Regardless, it seems the cold pushed some birds down. My little birdwatching email group reported a few thousand cranes over Louisville yesterday, in several groups. If I were to guess, we've got at least a few hundred of them within 300 yards or less, on the ground right now. Wind is at our backs, no spinners out, cause it's a decent breeze. Had to bust a little layer of ice, but we are set.

Here's to hoping!

2. Killroy

Killroy 8 pointer

Apr 18, 2007
    in a gas station
    I'm waiting . My field that I hunt is still in standing soybeans . Reckon they will land in standing beans? I pulled the trigger on one this morning and got a click! I didn't have the slide all the way shut . Talk about spitting . I weren't no sort of happy. That will make you mad enough to use all them there country double negatives. By the time I got a shot off all I did was aggravate him.

3. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    We watched well over 2000 birds push thru central Indiana today. Heading back to KY to try and find someplace to kill them.

4. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 6 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Glasgow Ky
    A9A0B455-1EB0-44CF-A431-AB7B48EBB877.jpeg They are flying over my house now. I live in barren county. They are flying south. They are in small groups and big groups. I’m no waterfowler though. Actually they been flying over for a month now. Just sporadic. They flyin high. Good luck to ya.

HeadedWest likes this.
  5. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    We have seen group after group here today and seen some on the ground, will definitely put in for a tag next year

6. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine

7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

They make two major stopovers in Indiana, At Jasper Pulaski fish and wildlife area near Medaryville and the Muscatatuck National wildlife refuge near Seymour. I bet those your seeing over Louisville are from the latter.

8. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 6 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    I hunt quite a bit near the Hiwassee Refuge in Southeast Tennessee. If you have tags and can't kill one in that area you have serious issues.

9. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 6 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Glasgow Ky