Corruption in KDFWR worse than EHD!

Discussion in 'Welcome to KentuckyHunting.net!' started by Chrispbacon, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Chrispbacon

Chrispbacon Fawn

Oct 13, 2017
    Central KY
    Hello all,
    I decided it was time to let you all know about something that happened to a friend of mine last duck season. I believe everything I'm saying is the truth, and all facts can be checked by going to fish and wildlife in Frankfort and doing an open records request.
    Some friends were duck hunting on elkhorn Creek in Franklin county when a landowner told them he didn't want them hunting there (a Franklin county judge ruled that if you have legal access to launch a boat then you can access all the creek that you can get to by boat). This landowner came back later and said they couldn't hunt there because it was baited. My friends called the local game warden who came out and looked at everything. He did find bait...well turns out the landowner is a commission member. I thought the commission wanted us to have every hunting opportunity? Well I know the officer started an investigation and I am pretty sure the feds got invovled... But it would appear someone squashed everything at some point. How is this right? How can KDFWR get away with this? File an open records request and you will see exactly who was involved.

2. just me

just me 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2013
    Not surprising. Might as well tell us which commissioner it was. Bevins is the one for that district.

3. HeadedWest

HeadedWest Spike

Nov 22, 2016
    What would you even request?

Baiting is not illegal. Sounds like he did them a favor if they were trying to hunt it.

4. Chrispbacon

Chrispbacon Fawn

Oct 13, 2017
    Central KY
    I don't want to put out names but I'd say the PVA office would be a sure bet to see who owns property along the creek. Baiting ducks is illegal and also it would appear that he placed the bait on someone else's property to interfere with the lawful hunting of waterfowl.

5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Call the game warden an report him

6. Chrispbacon

Chrispbacon Fawn

Oct 13, 2017
    Central KY
    The game warden came out and looked at it. It was definitely illegal for him to do that to prevent the hunting. The problem is that because this guy has so much money and political influence nothing happened to him. It's like someone hire up on the KDFWR food chain just made it disappear. If it was some common sportsman like the majority of us would we get away with it? I guess if you are in a political office you can make your own rules.

7. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Except during the "feed ban" from March 1-May 31 it is not illegal to feed wildlife including waterfowl in KY. It is however illegal to HUNT waterfowl over bait. This same technique is used by many people who don't want others hunting near their property along several navigable waterways. Once the hunters have been made aware and bait actually exist, they are then hunting illegally.

8. Chrispbacon

Chrispbacon Fawn

Oct 13, 2017
    Central KY
    And doing so, with those intentions, constitutes interfering with lawful hunting activities does it not?

9. Chrispbacon

Chrispbacon Fawn

Oct 13, 2017
    Central KY
  10. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

If the "bait" was placed on public land that is open to hunting I would say "yes" it could be deemed hunt interference. If bait is placed on private land with permission from the landowner and is not for the intention of hunting over/around except for legally baited species, no. It is also the hunters responsibility to know if an area is baited. Baiting waterfowl is legal, hunting waterfowl under the influence of bait is not! Federal agencies feed waterfowl regularly on preserves and other areas where hunting is not allowed.

11. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Just curious as to how you know the commissioner was the person who put the bait out?

12. Chrispbacon

Chrispbacon Fawn

Oct 13, 2017
    Central KY
    From what I know the evidence added up to the fact that the commissioner placed the bait...open records. And kyh5n1...I'm going to try to sort through all of these inaccuracies in your statements one at a time. The bait was along a creek open to public hunting. The bait was out on private land along a creek; however, it was not placed on the commissioner's land. He put it on someone else's property without permission. This is not a preserve so don't even try to muddy this up with totally separate situations. placing bait so that others may not hunt waterfowl is illegal. I assure you I'm very familiar with what actually happened here so don't throw out what ifs. What if this commission member came and spotlighted your buck and said it was for research? What if he came onto your land and baited turkeys and then told the game warden he put it out so he could save them? We can keep making things up but the fact remains that a commission member placed bait to interfere with lawful hunting activities, officers investigated, and then the corrupt powers that be made it disappear.

13. Chrispbacon

Chrispbacon Fawn

Oct 13, 2017
    Central KY
    All I'm saying is this really needs to be looked into by someone else. Who can investigate the KDFWR? Is it KSP? Would they even try to do anything about corruption in another state agency? Does the Governor have a group that does this? I kind of wish someone would step up and at least look at this. I figure us common people don't matter enough though.

14. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    So isnt the next step to go back and hunt? He wont want this to come back up and id say he will leave it alone. Your friend can state he assumed the baiting stopped after the warden was called last time.

Also on the corruption scale this is pretty dang petty. Its a dick move for sure but i rank it right up there with being cut off by someone with a FOP license plate then flipped off by the jerk.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  15. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

We can go over and over this public/private property along a navigable water way. I really don't know what to tell you. I will tell you that my family owns land along the KY River and people hunt the area for waterfowl. If they get out of their boat and on the bank, the GW will be called to cite them for trespassing. If I decide I'd like to throw down a few hundred pounds of corn to deer hunt around and in turn the corn attracts waterfowl I would bet the duck hunters would be cited for hunting a baited area and I wouldn't get so much as a visit from ol green jeans. But go ahead and tell your buddies to have at it. Oh, BTW, if anyone admitted to trespassing to scatter bait on our property I'd have them arrested. If they were trespassing for any reason for that matter!