Corn thief

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by cityslicker, Jul 6, 2018.

1. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Yesterday I was checking on my sweet corn patch and noticed a stalk was knocked down and an ear of corn was completely eaten. I checked on it this morning and a stalk had been pulled up and drug 5' from the patch. Another cob was completely eaten. I looked out into my field behind the corn patch about 50 yards and saw another cob laying. At first I was thinking coons until I saw a stalk pulled out of the ground. Plus I figured a coon would have went to town not just eating a couple.
    What would pull a corn stalk up and drag it off? Coyote? Fox?
    I guess I'll be setting up a trail cam to find out.

2. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

Classic squatch behavior. Always teasing us with evidence but never providing the proof. Set your cameras and they will stay away.

3. zone1

zone1 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2011
    Beavers will drag off corn stalks.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  4. model70

model70 6 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    Western Ky
    Buddy of mine had his sweet corn being raided one time. He put his camera on it. Turned out his 90 something year old grandfather was was picking it. Found it just stuck in his freezer. Funny and sad at the same time.

barney likes this.
  5. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    I've seen coons pull it up and drag it off. I kept thinking deer till I actually shined a light on them.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  6. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Damcoons.
    They will be back and bring Friends tonight.

EdLongshanks and Nock like this.
  7. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    Don't take long for coons to clean a patch out. When they get started, there is not much you can do about it.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  8. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    A yote will. I thought a coon too until I put a cam on it. A pack will destroy a patch in a night

barney likes this.
  9. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Groundhog will pull them up. Last year I watched one do it. He got killed.

Nock and Carl like this.
  10. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Coon, bear, Whampus Cat, Squatch.......many possible culprits....

EdLongshanks and cityslicker like this.
  11. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    We want pictures!

12. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Definitely. I put my camera out with a DP trap

13. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    A friend tells me 22 60g sss rounds will cycle through a ruger 10/22 and shoot quarter size groupings at 30 yards. They start keyholeing at roughly 45 yards. The shots won't wake the wife or neighbors.

14. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    I have some 22 shorts, but it's not much of an issue. I live in the country.

15. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Sweet corn is crack for coons.

They will pull the stalk up & pack it off a ways to get the corn away from other coons. Which they will bend it over...break it off...whatever is necessary....I don’t doubt they wouldn’t stand on each other’s shoulders to get to a roasting ear.

Several years ago....I came in from working late one evening right about dusk. I made a bee line to the garden to 4 rows about 30 ft long of Bodacious sweet corn and checked it.... it was ready. So... went to the house and told my wife since it was getting dark I’d pick it in the morning and shuck / silk it and put it in the fridge in the garage.

Next morning.... got up went to the garden.... all 4 rows stalks broken, bent over....trail of shucks and empty corn cobs. If I remember right.... I salvaged maybe a dozen ears they hadn’t gotten.

Had to be a whole freakin herd of coons to do that....and I don’t put nothing past them.