Coon problem

Discussion in 'Coon Hunting' started by Harrison county hunter, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Harrison county hunter

Harrison county hunter Spike

Dec 1, 2014
    Is anybody close to Harrison county that would like to help me get my coon problem under control. They are tearing my feeder up. I have a camera at my feeder that has a tremendous amount of coons. If you have a dog and want to help out I would love to tag along. Thank you

2. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    Get a box trap. I killed three on my property here and trapped 8 more this year, just more effective for me.

3. kywallace69

kywallace69 12 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    When does trapping start? I got about 10 -15 at each feeder. I got 3 - 350 lb feeders. They are real bad in Harrison county. After deer season, I plan on killing them all, but don't want to screw my deer hunting up until late December at least.

4. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Our land is in harrison county out past Oddville on apple lane and duckworth. I have started calling them. If you have a ecaller all you need is coon distress/fight and use a shotgun. They will usually come in pretty quick so i like a shotgun with Hornady Heavy mag coyote BB. Use a MOD or IC. I get better patterns from IC. Its made to shoot through those btw. It works pretty well. You can also get a coon squaller for $10-$25. Last option is to just walk down anywhere close to waterways and scan trees. You will be really surprised how much you dont need a dog to coon hunt. BUT then you will miss the part of working with the dogs lol.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  5. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Let me get this straight. The coons aren't eating the corn you're growing or feeding on your farm. ?..Instead You buy corn, haul corn into the woods, dump it on the ground, then get on an Internet forum to complain about the wrong animals eating it?
    Wow.

utkpres and nwest like this.
  6. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Well if he is anything like us then he knows and expects the "wrong" animals to eat the corn also but where we are we have to thin the coons out every couple of years because if not that is all your feeding. It is nothing for any stand we have that we bait on to have 13+ coons at a time in one picture every night until the feeder/pile is empty.

7. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    Coon in a cage trap won't bother the deer. Somewhere I have some pics of a trapped coon and the deer walking right past it.

As long as you are putting corn out, you should be setting box traps. And if you are going to set 1, set 4 - all at the same feeder. Don't put 1 trap at each feeder, that just educates the ones that don't get trapped