Conservatives lmao

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by drakeshooter, May 17, 2018.

1. The man couldn’t even get a majority of “conservatives” to support a 1% cut in spending in an era of $21 trillion and counting debt. They have no intentions of stopping or ever paying it down. Tell me again how Rand is the one who is loony toons.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...uls-plan-to-cut-federal-spending-by-1-percent

Senate trashes Rand Paul's plan to cut federal spending by 1 percent
    by Pete Kasperowicz
    | May 17, 2018 12:06 PM

The Senate on Thursday overwhelmingly rejected a budget proposal from Sen. Rand Paul that proposed cutting 1 penny for every dollar the government spends.

Paul introduced his "Penny Plan" budget, and was able to win a vote on his motion to proceed to the plan.

But most Senate Republicans and all Senate Democrats roundly rejected that motion in a 21-76 vote.

"Our insecurity is our enormous debt, $21 trillion," Paul said on the floor. "This vote is a litmus test for conservatives."

But his budget plan won almost no support from Republicans, as only 21 favored it, far less than half of the 51 Senate Republicans currently serving.

2. Follow up I’m going the WaPo. He didn’t really expect it to even catch a sniff of passing, just wanted to expose the hypocrites for what they are.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...pending/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ebd2ddd9f0c7

Senate defeats Rand Paul’s balanced-budget plan as he accuses GOP of ‘unholy alliance’ with Democrats on spending
    [​IMG]Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) (J. Scott Applewhite/AP)
    The Senate resoundingly rejected a balanced-budget plan Thursday offered by Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.). The result was not a surprise. Not even Paul had expected the legislation to pass.

Instead, he said, his aim was to expose what he termed “hypocrisy” on the part of GOP colleagues he accused of forming an “unholy alliance” with Democrats to raise spending and balloon the debt.

“This vote is a litmus test for conservatives,” Paul argued on the Senate floor ahead of the vote, contending that if fellow Republicans didn’t support his resolution, “we are simply the same as the Democrats. We don’t care about the debt.”

But the legislation failed to advance on a vote of 21-76. Similar plans Paul has offered in the past have also failed by wide margins.

With the federal budget deficit fast approaching $1 trillion a year, Paul claims his plan would balance the budget in five years by cutting 1 percent of spending annually — the so-called penny plan.

He argues he could do so without touching Social Security and by reducing discretionary spending a mere $13 billion a year. But other analyses, including by The Washington Post’s Fact Checker, have disputed Paul’s assumptions and concluded that his approach would actually result in much larger cuts that would threaten entitlements like Medicare and tear into agencies from the Pentagon and CIA to the National Institutes of Health.

In any case, Paul’s arguments failed to persuade his colleagues. Whether he succeeded in exposing fellow Republicans as hypocrites was uncertain, especially since Paul himself is arguably guilty of exacerbating the $21 trillion debt himself given that he voted for the $1.5 trillion unpaid-for tax law. (He argues it will help produce 4 percent GDP growth, a very rosy prediction, and more than pay for itself.)

Where Paul succeeded, as he frequently does, was in irritating fellow Republican lawmakers.

Arguing against the plan on the Senate floor, Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) said it would threaten the military just months after Congress succeeded in passing a significant increase in military spending that many Republicans viewed as crucial — even though it required agreeing to Democrats’ demands for a big boost in domestic spending, as well.

“This budget throws our military in a ditch, and I am tired of doing that,” Graham said. “It is a joke. Now is not the time to be funny. Now is the time to be serious.”

Paul’s budget did get more support from Republicans than the last time he offered a similar plan, in January 2017, when there were just 14 “yes” votes, compared with the 21 on Thursday. This time the vote occurred with Republicans weathering a conservative backlash over the $1.3 trillion spending bill President Trump signed reluctantly in March.

3. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Been that way for years. The thing is once they started to "borrow" from SS they knew then and there we could never pay anything back.

Think about it this way. We all know that one day we will run out of oil but nobody wants to be around when that day comes. As bad as the debt is none of them want it to stop and start taking money out of the budget to pay it back.

I used to get worked up over this stuff but realized that none of them are seriously going to try, not ever Rand Paul. It's one thing for him to do something like that but another thing to seriously pay down the debt.

4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Only way out is war and I still don’t think that would do it. The entire house of cards will eventually come crashing down. No way around it.

5. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Yep. This only ends one way.

6. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    Print more money thats their answer!!

7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Yes! Then everyone can have all they want, and ALL problems will then be solved!!!

bondhu and EdLongshanks like this.
  8. Nah, that’s how the idiots in Congress who call themselves “conservative” think about it, like “f it it’s gonna default anyway”, I’ll pass. That’s how folks who max out credit cards and other forms of credit, then file bankruptcy live, again I’ll pass on that attitude. I was raised different to that myself.

Also, you have no idea what Rand would do if he wasn’t one of a handful in the Senate with balls and more would get onboard. The rest are a bunch of rinos who don’t deserve to be there and so we will never know.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  9. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    Democrats are every bit as bad or worse!!

10. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Neither do you have any idea what Rand would do. As many times as I've met and talked to him at the fundraisers I used to believe he would really do what was needed but today we are so far in debt I doubt anybody could do much of anything to fix it. Back when we were $10 Trillion in debt I thought it was possible but not at $20 Trillion. To seriously ever start to do anything to bring it down we would have to close down half the govt for several years while keeping the same taxes to pay it down. I'm not talking about just the welfare part but ALL of the govt. Think about TSA at the airports, cut them in half but the people still need to go though everything just like they do today. People would never put up with that. Cut the military, cut everybody 50%, cut the forest fire units 50%, The FBI, Border Patrol, National Guard, etc, etc all of them 50%.

Just like a family seriously in debt, they have to cut EVERYTHING until they climb out of their debt.

Cutting back 5% of the debt is cutting back $1 Trillion, a entire years govt budget. If a family is seriously in debt and seriously needs help cutting back 5% will not do them much good, just buy them more time, just KICK THE CAN DOWN THE ROAD. What is cutting back 5% going to do?????

$20 Trillion and growing plus Social Security has ALREADY been borrowed so there is nothing there. Another problem is ever if we raise revenue and ever more taxes they will NOT use it to pay down the debt but SPEND it on other things.

Like I said, I had hopes at $10 Trillion but now at $20 Trillion forget it unless people want a nuclear war with millions killed.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  11. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Wildcat....I’m pretty sure we know what Rand would do. I don’t understand why you think he’s joking. The guy has constantly been focusing on passing a balanced budget amendment and reducing the debt since he first ran for office. And yes, he would gladly reduce the government. I’m pretty sure he would love that idea. What do you mean “we don’t know what he would do?”

drakeshooter likes this.
  12. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Let's be serious for a while. Take a family deep in debt and they try to borrow more money from a bank but cannot, how much do they HAVE to cut back to get back above water and start to get back in the banks good graces??? 1%? 5%? 10%? or 50%????

We all "talk" about cutting back like it was easy. But go talk to a family who has been there and done it. It's NOT as easy as we make it sound. They HAD to make choices, HARD choices and it took them YEARS to climb out. Now put the entire nation in that spot, all 350 million Americans. FORCE them to make the choices and live with them. We need a majority of the voters to make it work. Does anybody seriously think more than 50% of the voters will vote for that????? Seriously?? We might be very lucky to get 15% of the voters to go along.

It's one thing to talk a good talk, do things to make a point, etc, etc but it's a totally different thing to actually do it.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. President Trump RAN on a wall, he WON, the people support him on the wall are willing to put the money up, etc, etc. But look how actually HARD it has been just to try to get anything passed on the wall let alone do any of the work to GET IT DONE.

Think the wall has been a hard one to crack?? How hard do you all think it would be to CUT THE DEBT and get enough people to go along with us??? Rand Paul KNOWS this.

Don't get me wrong, I like Paul and have voted for him every time. But I also know he KNOWS what he can and cannot do. He will keep on trying to make points and try to show the American voters what we really need to do but he also knows how impossible it is to get everybody on the same page.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  13. Lmao he’s been screaming for change and actually doing something about it since he was elected and anybody who thinks differently hasn’t been paying attention. He’s one of a handful in Congress I actually trust with Thomas Massie being another. Kentucky is lucky to have those two. Besides, saying “f it we are too deep in debt to worry so let’s keep on borrowing” is the action of trashy people .

EdLongshanks likes this.
  14. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    d

What has Paul done about it??? What laws passed. How much debt has he CUT back??? How can a "hand full of Congressmen" do anything when the majority votes AGAINST them??

Yes he has screamed about it but SERIOUSLY what changes has he actually got DONE???

15. Pretty lame response. You’ll have to come more intelligently than that or I’m finished here.