chucks in Kentucky?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by jdsingleshot, Jan 18, 2018.

1. jdsingleshot

jdsingleshot Fawn

Jan 2, 2018
    Dexter, KY
    I used to enjoy hunting woodchucks when I lived in Maine, but I've been here in the Purchase Area for going on 8 years and have only seen them rarely.

Are they uncommon here? I have been out around lots of field edges but have seen no dens other than some activity in one of my bottom pastures.

2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Not many around any more. Yotes took a toll... Won't see any this time of year anyway.

3. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Tons of them here in Hart County. I see and kill several each year.

4. jdsingleshot

jdsingleshot Fawn

Jan 2, 2018
    Dexter, KY
    I know they are hibernating now. Just looking toward spring. I do hear coyotes at night all too often. Don't seem to have many rabbits here either.

5. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    When I was younger, living n Eastern Ky, we called em whistle pigs. Used to see them in the big patches of kudsu that grow around those parts. They seemed to love that stuff. Had some buddies that liked to kill the young ones and roast em whole with a little bit of bourbon basted over there back now and again.

kyfuzzyface likes this.
  6. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Used to see them everywhere in E. Ky, only saw 2 last summer coyotes wiped'em out I guess, same with rabbits.

7. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I see one every once in a while here in Western KY, which amounts to maybe 3 or 4 a year. I had a chance to shoot one that was living under one of my brush piles at my farm, but I didn’t see much need in it. I watched him though the binos for a half hour or so. I haven’t seen him since.

8. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Since moving here to Central Kentucky, in 2008, I've only seen a couple of Woodchucks on my property.

9. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Ground hogs are a rare commodity in most area due to the coyote. They are living in barns an old buildings.

barney likes this.
  10. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Seems like a waste of good Bourbon, how about just roasting em and washing em down with it? LOL

11. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    In the 60's we used to go to Nicholas Co. on Friday the day before squirrel season opened . We had permission to hunt on several farms down there in a place called Locust Grove. We would hunt ground hogs and scout for squirrels that afternoon. I remember seeing all kinds of groundhogs, they would be running everywhere. My uncle bought a piece of land and has a cabin there. He still goes down there every year to hunt squirrels and deer, don't know if he sees any hogs there now.

12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    A barn infestation, or under an outbuilding in a yard is about the only place I've seen one in several years.

Feedman likes this.
  13. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I usually kill 1 or 2 a year on my farm.

14. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    The dang things are everywhere in my neck of the woods, every barn we own in Harrison County probably has a tunnel system underneath of it now, it's terrible, we take a flexible pipe and run from a smoky truck and put them in a permanent sleep, that being said you rarely see them more than 50 yards away from the barn

15. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Forget the Woodchucks.....
    Work on killing Coyotes....

JR PORTER, elkaholic and Dark Cloud like this.