cancer????

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by bower, Sep 29, 2003.

1. bower

bower 8 pointer

Jan 14, 2003
    LaGrange, ky, USA.
    one of my buddies went hunting last night and shot a doe. well after field dressing it. he notice some type of growth on it's back he described it as a cow tongue. kinda nasty but on the way back to the house another buddy decided to yank on it and it came off. broke into two peices. he said that it looked like the growth was come from her spine. anyone know or seen something like this?

>--> if it's brown it's down<--<

2. P. Beyer

P. Beyer 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Ballard Co
    My first deer had a big growth around on of it's front hooves (feet)

"It makes no difference whether I got anything; it has to do with how the day was spent"

Fred Bear

3. Heineken

Heineken Spike

Jul 29, 2003
  4. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

Things like that seem to make you think twice about venison steaks. Probably didn't hurt the meat, but still makes you wonder.

5. Larry Carter

Larry Carter 8 pointer

Mar 2, 2003
    Crab Orchard, Ky, USA.
    Hard to guess without seeing the growth. Lots of deer have fibromas, a growth not attached to the meat but under the hide. Those are no danger to consumption. If the growth was red,rough and attached to meat I would be personally leery of eating the deer.

6. frontiersman

frontiersman Fawn

Sep 27, 2003
    cynthiana, ky., USA.
    The suspicious growths are usually fibromas or papillomas, two types of benign tumors. Unless they interfere with eyesight, eating or breathing, they do not harm the deer and usually are confined to skin without involving the muscle or affecting its edibility. The tumors are specific to the deer family, particularly moose, white-tailed deer and mule deer, and humans are not at risk.

Both tumors are light gray to black and firm to the touch. The surface can be smooth, wrinkled or rough. When small, fibromas and papillomas are usually round, but they often become irregular masses when large. They can grow anywhere on an animal’s body, but they are most common on the head, neck and shoulders.

The principal differences between the two types of tumor are in the structure of the mass and the layer of skin involved. Fibromas are anchored in the skin or the subcutaneous layer beneath the skin, but papillomas are anchored in the skin. Fibromas are known to be caused by a virus, and biologists suspect that a virus also causes papillomas.

Fibromas and papillomas are not a concern for hunters once an animal is skinned. If a growth seems to enter or affect muscle tissue below the skin, that part should be cut away and discarded.

Tumors in internal organs or tumors that spread throughout the body can be cancerous, and the animal should be checked by a wildlife biologist or veterinarian before the meat is eaten.

7. schuyler olt

schuyler olt 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2002
    I took a deer several years ago that had a mass near its spine above the shoulder, about the size of a softball. The mass was connected to the muscle and solid. Being curious, I cut into the thing and found a broadhead--I concluded it was scar tissue surrounding the earlier wound. The meat was fine, not that I'm recommending your buddy eat or not eat his.
    A friend took a doe that had a grossly infected wound on its back. This was well before the days of unlimited tags. He called the CO, who took the deer and gave the guy a new tag.

8. bower

bower 8 pointer

Jan 14, 2003
    LaGrange, ky, USA.
    i've never seen a deer with some type of growth. don't you think you'll see the growth before you shot the deer?

>--> if it's brown it's down<--<

9. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    So am I hearing that eating a deer with cancer tumors could be a bad thing or just a we don't know thing so why try!

10. Pooge

Pooge Cyber-Hunter

Oct 7, 2002
    Louisville, KY, USA.
    I heard tumors are kinda tough and chewey unless pressure cooked for several minutes..... [:)]

11. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    I shot a deer several years ago in Ohio Co, that I'm assuming had been hit by a vehicle before. One side of his rack was a perfect 5 point with brow tine and the other a spike. The side opposite the spike, his hind quarters were all whithered away. I called the Co and he told me that this was common on deer to have the opposite side antlers be affected by trauma to the the other side. The meat on the whithered side was a paler color. Don't know how it tasted, I gave it Hunters for the Hungry that year. The processor said it wouldn't affect the meat......

12. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

Just because "Hunters for the Hungry" took it, doesn't mean I'd eat it.

13. Muleskinner.

Muleskinner. Fawn

Sep 16, 2003
    Pinedale, Wyoming.
    I used to git grossed out by the black beetle-looking things found in fatty tissue of elks. Then a doctor client of mine tolt me they were lymph nodes, an' not dangerous. They still gross me out, but I ain't afraid to eat a steak with a sliced "black bean" in the tissue.

Mule