Camo study

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Landguy, May 3, 2003.

1. http://www.whitetail.com/camo1.html

2. ez

ez 8 pointer

to bad you never got to see and use the best camo; "CHAMELEON CAMO" and at the moment no longer in the business............locked and blocked out by the other guys, mossy oak.....advantage...timberghost......also as in your patterns....." NO LEAVES; NO STICKS; NO PATTERNS.........just the basic 6 colors of the earth............your ideas are good' but can you beat the " MONEY "............bill j. and co..............ez

3. Xtreme

Xtreme Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Folks I used Chameleon as well and will wear what I have till it turns to rags.

As for new camo breaking into a "locked up" market.....well. You have to spend a million to make a hundred thousand.

It's just like getting into the bow bizz. You have some mighty big DAWG$ to run with.

Your camo has merit Landguy and I agree with the theories. $$$$$$[V][V][V] Good luck.

4. P. Beyer

P. Beyer 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Ballard Co
    Interesting read, I think really all of it (Camo) does it's job now-days. I was watching a buddy last year move through some brush...Until I saw movement I couldn't see him at all at ranges of 20 to 100 yards. That was done with Realtree Hardwoods. My policy is wash it till' it fades a bit & then it blends a little bit better!

"It makes no difference whether I got anything; it has to do with how the day was spent"

Fred Bear

5. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    ive never seen the chameleon in person but ive heard a lot of good about it. personally i use the realtree gray. its actually gettin hard to find because of all the newbies that come out every year

raktrakr
    >>----->

6. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    P. Beyer has it right. I've killed plenty with orange on and most never knew what killed 'em. Movement and when not to are the keys to being successful. I still say I could kill one nakid but could never find anyone who wanted to see me nakid bad enough to bet on it.

7. I found this site and just thought I'd pass it on. It's the first time I've see different types of camo compared side by side. I figured you can never have too much info & this guy had a interesting site. I'm with P.Beyer....I think most of the camo out there does a fine job. If there was a one best pattern then everybody would have it & all the others would be out of business.

8. N2hepcoop

N2hepcoop Spike

Jun 21, 2002
    Mentone, IN, USA.
    I agree with rak,

Realtree AP grey is hard to find and I think was one of the best, until a few years back my bro and I ran across PhotoStalk! It was one of the first photorealistic camos and it is good! I had heard the guy did not market it well? We bought a loads of it and have enough to last a lifetime!!

9. schuyler olt

schuyler olt 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2002
    When it comes to camo, I firmly believe in wearing different patterns. Generally, I wear woodland pants, a mossy Oak green shirt, Mossy Oak brown boots and typically a Realtree face mask. For turkey hunting, I have never found anything better for your legs than woodland--it really blends into the gound. I agree with the faded aspect except that it makes the UV reflection greater. By using different patterns, I think it helps break up form, and I think it may help mask movement a little. Also, if you look around you, there will be color and pattern variations about every two feet. By using several patterns, I think it helps mimic that. It's a neat topic.

10. RutNBuck

RutNBuck 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Northern Ky
    i personally perfer the leafy suits...
    so versitle and light weight... the best fall camo i ever found is no longer in bizz....was called (Tru-leaf) Kelly Cooper i think was the maker...(?)...the leaf patterns were identical to actual foilage...

"A wise indian once said,the more you move the less you will see,the less you move the more you will see"

" I live to hunt, but my wife says i may hunting a place to live"

11. Ky Headhunter

Ky Headhunter 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Peach Grove, Ky, USA.
    Always have liked the debate over camo, even though it's probably somewhat overrated. Guess it just seems cool to blend in & feel invisible.

I'm with Sky when it comes to using several patterns at one time, seems to help muss up the outline. No joke, on one hunt this spring I had on BDU(woodland) pants, Realtree Xtra-something shirt, MossyOak Break-up hat, Advantage headnet, Realtree Hardwoods Green gloves, Advantage Timber vest, & unidentified (M.O. or R.T. of some sort) boots. Underneath the outer shirt was an ASAT t-shirt. And my gun is another variation of "woodland". Didn't use 'em all on purpose, it just worked out that way.

12. Ky Headhunter

Ky Headhunter 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Peach Grove, Ky, USA.
    Dang, I forgot, thanks for the link Landguy, interesting stuff!

13. OK....how many of you guys have been out to Wal-Mart looking for Hawaiian shirts?

14. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    Interesting article, I think however the use of camo is overated. Movement and scent to me is more of a factor. Some of the old guys that I hunted with years ago wore the old red and black mackinaw coats, old army issue wool pants and were by far the best woodsman I ever knew. I shot my first turkey while wearing white tennis shoes, a lime green shirt and blue jeans. (long story). Makes you wonder how ole Dan'l Boone, Simon Kenton and all the indians shot deer without Bill Jordan or Toxey Hass marketing a different camo pattern every year...... I love this thread, good commments.

15. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    dan'l boone wouldnt survive in todays hunting woods,hed be shot wearing that buckskin coat

raktrakr
    >>----->